Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   more poachers..... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=92844)

bobber 09-26-2017 05:23 PM

more poachers.....

(got a link thru FB-)

MA DEP cops are earning their pay recently- this time they stopped 3 guys after a trip to Buzzards Bay with illegal sea bass and scup....

multiple citations were given and all gear/truck and boat were seized as evidence...... later, truck and boat were returned after paying $1000 fine (fishing gear was retained by the cops)

seems like everyday day or two a story pops up about greedy poaching thieves. I hope big(ger) fines slow the trend........

GattaFish 09-26-2017 05:29 PM

If they kept the boat and truck they would stop quick. Releasing it after a fine is not enough.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Guppy 09-26-2017 06:11 PM

Check out their names

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/201...ds-bay-arrests

bobber 09-26-2017 06:28 PM

Viet Namese folks..... not known for their respect for the environment and fishing regs......

MAKAI 09-26-2017 07:38 PM

Mi no know ?
The devious little bastards were hiding them. They're well aware of the rules.

Mike P 09-27-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GattaFish (Post 1128866)
If they kept the boat and truck they would stop quick. Releasing it after a fine is not enough.

It's not as easy to keep it, as it is to take it. The Commonwealth has to file a notice of intent to seek forfeiture with the court, and unless a defendant agrees to not contest it, it has to be litigated. Every DA's office in Mass has a Civil Forfeiture Unit, and it's up to them to decide whether it's worth the time and trouble. It's easier for a drug dealer to agree to give up the cash---usually less than $100---that was impounded at his arrest in return for not going to jail, or for a shorter bit, than for people to give up boats and vehicles. These guys likely agreed to forfeit their tackle and coolers as a condition of the plea---they paid the fine in cash before walking out of court. They probably stopped at Walmart on the way home to buy new cheap gear.

JohnR 09-27-2017 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 1128889)
It's not as easy to keep it, as it is to take it. The Commonwealth has to file a notice of intent to seek forfeiture with the court, and unless a defendant agrees to not contest it, it has to be litigated. Every DA's office in Mass has a Civil Forfeiture Unit, and it's up to them to decide whether it's worth the time and trouble. It's easier for a drug dealer to agree to give up the cash---usually less than $100---that was impounded at his arrest in return for not going to jail, or for a shorter bit, than for people to give up boats and vehicles. These guys likely agreed to forfeit their tackle and coolers as a condition of the plea---they paid the fine in cash before walking out of court. They probably stopped at Walmart on the way home to buy new cheap gear.

Good points

SilverKing 09-27-2017 08:18 AM

It is great to see poachers getting busted maybe next time they will keep the boat and car. We need to our part too and report what we see.

ivanputski 09-27-2017 08:41 AM

When will people realize, that (regardless of the the crime) the actual "arrest" is just window dressing formality... Its the final sentence handed down, and its enforcement that really counts ( and I feel that more often than not it is lenient and ultimately reduced.) Someone tell me I'm wrong.

It all sounds great in the news paper on the day they are caught, but these guys seem to never actually suffer consequences harsh enough to stop, or to dissuade others

MakoMike 09-27-2017 09:01 AM

$4,000 for 30 fish sounds pretty harsh to me.

In The Surf 09-27-2017 10:15 AM

Just keep busting them, take everything if only temporarily on boat and vehicles, put their names out there and as a condition have them sign the forfeiture papers that will take effect on a repeat offense along with 30 days in jail.
This will help take a bite out of poaching.
Clearly the laws need to change, the penalties need to be stiffer.

ivanputski 09-27-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoMike (Post 1128895)
$4,000 for 30 fish sounds pretty harsh to me.

yeah poor guys... I'm crying over here.

Maybe this fine will stop them from doing it for the next decade to come

paradoxjim 09-27-2017 12:12 PM

It's going on over in Long Island, too. I've read 2 articles; two different boats. The guys catch the fish and then take them home to sell them to friends and neighbors. Nice racket.

http://easthamptonstar.com/News/2017...s-Dumping-Fish

fishpoopoo 09-27-2017 12:40 PM

$hit like this makes me hate asian people even more.

bobber 09-29-2017 06:45 PM

I was talking with PaulS today- I've (inadvertently) developed a prejudice myself in the last year after watching all the violations committed by asian fishermen this year.......

Sea of Atlas 09-29-2017 08:57 PM

I know right--terrible how they crashed the cod fishery and caused the first moratorium. And they're all over Facebook and the tackle shop photo ops with 50lbers--always an Asian!

bobber 09-29-2017 09:00 PM

I'm not proud of it.... but I own my shortcomings

Sea of Atlas 09-29-2017 09:04 PM

You seem to be proud of it, otherwise why post online about it? Quite frankly I find it a piss poor attitude, but ain't nothing new with middle age white men, always need a boogie man--isn't anything new.

Sea of Atlas 09-29-2017 09:20 PM

You might wanna melt down your Tactical Angler clips cause I hate to break it to you but....

Mike P 09-30-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea of Atlas (Post 1128974)
You might wanna melt down your Tactical Angler clips cause I hate to break it to you but....

Alberto is also half Brazilian. ;)

Sea of Atlas 09-30-2017 11:42 AM

He's all good with me! So is Jack Yee, Gary Yamamoto, Shozaburo Shimano, and others...

bobber 09-30-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea of Atlas (Post 1128973)
You seem to be proud of it, otherwise why post online about it? Quite frankly I find it a piss poor attitude, but ain't nothing new with middle age white men, always need a boogie man--isn't anything new.

thanks for putting words in my mouth-

you don't know the 1st thing about me; I wasn't looking for your opinion, just saying whats on my mind.

this thread is about poachers- who happen to be Vietnamese. and most recently I see LOTS of Asian fishermen keeping every fish they catch (legal or not), flipping cigarette buts everywhere, and leaving their trash behind

Sea of Atlas 09-30-2017 11:21 PM

I'm giving my opinion, not a big fan of racism--get it?! I come on these sites to read about striped bass not people's prejudice against a race. And I'm gonna say something every time don't give an eff if you or anyone else likes it or not or if it makes me unwanted.

Mike P 10-01-2017 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea of Atlas (Post 1129012)
He's all good with me! So is Jack Yee, Gary Yamamoto, Shozaburo Shimano, and others...

Jack has been dead for awhile, now. :(

numbskull 10-01-2017 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea of Atlas (Post 1129043)
I come on these sites to read about striped bass not people's prejudice against a race.

Thank you for saying that.
I feel the same way.
Hate is tiresome. Let's keep it about fishing.

wdmso 10-01-2017 11:22 AM

To bad comm bass poachers who got caught this year didn't face the fines and the press coverage and open hatred that being tossed around .. they should be fined but being Asian shouldnt matter ...

Liv2Fish 10-01-2017 12:04 PM

Off of Cleavlands today there was a boat with 5 guys all banging tog after tog and every one went in the well. We were on every time too as soon as we hit the bottom, except ours were all 13"-15"….fished that spot four an hour and moved on in search of keepers. 5 guys x 3 fish limit doesn't = 40+ in my book.

Clammer 10-01-2017 01:30 PM

RI when it opens to 10 fish ,rec & commercial >>its 10 per boat no matter how many people on board .......... Oh except for charter & head boats .then its still 10 per person .........No wonder the capt & mate are at the dealer with their limits every day