Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Kayaking (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   So I'm a Mile Out (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=58260)

Backbeach Jake 07-15-2009 08:33 AM

So I'm a Mile Out

Yesterday afternoon, when I realize I've forgotten my PFD. Knucklehead! Back in I go, up the hill to the truck, back out. Man, sometimes I think I've lost it, whatever "It" was or is..
Spent the morning tweaking the yak, I think that I've solved the aching back problem. My milk crate was fitted with two PVC rod holders, they make a great backrest. No aches or pains after 3 hours, none at all.

eastendlu 07-15-2009 09:00 AM

Fred don't you have a flotation device permanently installed around your waist?:biglaugh:

JFigliuolo 07-15-2009 02:27 PM

I've done the same... freakin blows.

Rockport24 07-15-2009 02:51 PM

good for you for going back in and getting it! I feel naked without mine!

Backbeach Jake 07-15-2009 05:06 PM

Well today I didn't forget

1 Attachment(s)
Good thing. Don't believe for a second that a FnD can't be rolled. One second I was reaching back for the bait cooled the next I was under water. At one point I remember saying "You gotta be chittin' me.." Only 500 feet out. I'll see if I can find the rods at low tide. There are a few bugs to work out, I think.
A before shot, yer right Lu, I do have two PFDs, or one and an air bag.

BigFish 07-15-2009 06:27 PM

Fred!!! Leash them rods!!:uhuh:

eastendlu 07-15-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 700541)
Fred!!! Leash them rods!!:uhuh:

And your paddle also.

Backbeach Jake 07-15-2009 06:45 PM

If I ever see the rods again, I'll Boy Scout knot the bejeebers outa them. I was slack. The paddle is leashed, I figure if I lose that, I'm really The pliers were leashed as well. So how do you get to the cargo behind you with becoming a funny story for all the folks on the beach? It was a real PIA to reach that cooler.
Thank God for the good sense to install side handles last week, without them I'd still be drifting.

Pete F. 07-15-2009 09:25 PM

Are you sitting on a big seat cushion?
Raising your center of gravity above the center of bouyancy?
2" makes a big difference

Backbeach Jake 07-15-2009 09:49 PM

Pete F, yes I was . I put 2" of EVA between my seat and the deck. I guess that the foam is a goner..

Raven 07-16-2009 04:39 AM

or....

buy an outrigger

that folds back to the side....

then you can lean all you want in that direction
when it is deployed....

BigBo 07-16-2009 05:37 AM

To get the gear out of the tankwell, I just swing my legs over the side and sit sidesaddle. I fish that way a lot as well.

Backbeach Jake 07-16-2009 01:07 PM

Believe it or Not

I found both of my lost rods! With and enormous effort from my neighbor GaryS. He wouldn't let me quit. I was more than ready to head back to the house and spend the afternoon with my other Bud, Weiser. Keep going, he said. OK. I feel like Mel Fisher!! The reels are full of sand, but that's no problem. Whoohooo!

Rockport24 07-16-2009 01:17 PM

wow congrats on finding the rods! yeah leash those suckas and everything else, make it a point to not leave shore without everything leashed.

good call Pete on the seat height, I've heard that can really be a big deal for the center of gravity....guess that was good info!

eastendlu 07-16-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBo (Post 700604)
To get the gear out of the tankwell, I just swing my legs over the side and sit sidesaddle. I fish that way a lot as well.

That is how i do it also.Do you ever get strange looks when your fighting a fish sidesaddle?LOL

BigBo 07-16-2009 08:41 PM

I get a lot of strange looks, but I don't think it's because I fight fish sidesaddle.:uhuh:

Slipknot 07-16-2009 08:48 PM

Glad you are alright and got your stuff back
be careful man

saltfly 07-19-2009 06:43 AM

Fred,looking at your before photo,keep your Pfd at least partially zipped at all times.It doesn't do much good when floating up behind you.

Backbeach Jake 07-19-2009 11:53 AM

That's the before shot. While the PFD was buckled, I know it was not enough. I learn slow. When I went over, I bet I was in the water for 10 whole seconds. Didn't even lose my sunglasses. I zip it now, if I'd slipped through, wellllll.....:smash:

Adam_777 07-19-2009 12:37 PM

I keep anything I need in front of me in a small softside cooler and a small surf bag with lures and leaders.Reaching behind the seat is something I don't do.I have some bungee straps in the front that I put a surfbelt around and through the strap on the cooler.It keeps the cooler and plugbag atatched to the yak so I have one less thing to worry about.My yak is a 10ft inflatable so room is limited but I still say less is better.My yak loves chop and waves.

The Iceman 6 07-20-2009 02:56 PM

Glad you got the rigs back Fred. Like others said leash them.

Raven 07-20-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 700716)
I found both of my lost rods! With and enormous effort from my neighbor GaryS. He wouldn't let me quit. I was more than ready to head back to the house and spend the afternoon with my other Bud, Weiser. Keep going, he said. OK. I feel like Mel Fisher!! The reels are full of sand, but that's no problem. Whoohooo!

wow.... ! your LUCKY....hearing this made my DAY

MarshCappa 07-20-2009 08:58 PM

Sounds like you learned a lot from this and I'm glad not by the extreme hard way. Everything could have been a lot worse. Finding those rods was pretty clutch. Good luck the rest of the season.

Raven 11-10-2010 07:56 PM

Safety Bump

I'm not sure if this subject has been covered

but what safety gear should you have on board
a Kayak
besides a flotation vest....

to be on the safe side?

The Dad Fisherman 11-11-2010 09:01 AM

More important to have safety equipment on you...if the yak floats away with it all your pretty well fuked.

I got a whistle tied to my PFD and I want to get a small signaling mirror and a small waterproof LED flashlight to carry in the PFD. If I go in I'm more worried about them finding me instead of my Yak :hee:

Also make sure if you are going to go fishing in a yak....get a fishing Kayak. Trying to reach behind you and fudging with gear, or loading it up with gear, in something that is made for touring can be a recipe for disaster

Raven 11-11-2010 10:09 AM

one of those "can be seen for five miles" lazer pointers i saw on the hunting show seemed like a good idea,...

Backbeach Jake 11-11-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 810083)
More important to have safety equipment on you...if the yak floats away with it all your pretty well fuked.

I got a whistle tied to my PFD and I want to get a small signaling mirror and a small waterproof LED flashlight to carry in the PFD. If I go in I'm more worried about them finding me instead of my Yak :hee:

Also make sure if you are going to go fishing in a yak....get a fishing Kayak. Trying to reach behind you and fudging with gear, or loading it up with gear, in something that is made for touring can be a recipe for disaster

Ironically I flipped my Fish n Dive trying to stow things behind me. Got sideways to a wave, that's all it takes. The young lady at work, whose brother is into yakking, chewed me out for not having a whistle on my PFD. I have a little strobe, too, incase I have to spend the night wondering where the Coasties are. Lazer is a good idea.
I think that familiarity with your vessel is paramount in importance. On a FAC day see how far you can lean it, deliberately flip it and re-enter, learn to reach everything stowed without flipping. If you can't reach the spot then that area isn't for things you'll need while underway.

Raven 11-11-2010 07:03 PM

Nautica just sent me an advertisement of a double kayak

joined at the side .... with a platform so you could attach an outboard

interesting....

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...1/twinyaks.png

piemma 11-12-2010 01:45 PM

With what that thing will cost you, you would be better off just buying a used tin boat and motor.

l.i.fish.in.vt 11-14-2010 10:04 AM

Fred,that is a nice looking kayak you have there:) still waiting to paddle with you.a used tin and motor can be had for less money than a new kayak.my 12ft tin was 150 bucks,had the motor.not nearly as much fun as the kayak,plus a kayak can handle much rougher water than a tin.