Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   The greatest ever !!! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=38101)

Raider Ronnie 02-14-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squid kids Dad (Post 462765)
#4 Just lost his Dad the other day..RIP

I was wondering why he wasn't at the game last night, as they had quite a few Bruins greats on the ice in jerseys, because they were honoring #9
RIP Mr. Orr

I see someone made this tread a sticky :kewl:

MarshCappa 02-22-2007 04:10 PM

Awesome! He made fools out some of those defenders. Brought back some good childhood memories for me.

stripersnipr 04-05-2007 07:58 AM

I could watch that video every day for the rest of my life and be completely amazed by his talent everytime. There's been a lot of greats: Howe, Hull, Gretzky, Richard etc. but none of them had the complete skill set that Orr had.

ThomCat 04-12-2007 02:17 PM

What else has to be said,#4, he changed the game:btu:

The Iceman 6 04-18-2007 02:25 PM

Leetch comes pretty close to Orr. First American to win the Conn Smythe trophy. Orr changed the game. Gordie was certainly up there, maybe the best. Let's not discount Gretzky though, he too changed the game. So did Super Mario. It's a different game now then it was back then. Sometimes, I just wish it were the Original 6 playing. Going to the Rangers game tonight, they are on FIRE. Glad to see the Thorton is doing well...

Ice

ProfessorM 04-18-2007 02:59 PM

All you have to look at is 69-70 season. No one has ever done this. Ross Trophy, Norris Trophy, Hart Troph, Conn Smythe Trophy. All 4. No one before or after and probably never will. I get goose bumps just thinking about that year. I did not miss a second of any game played that year.
He lead the league in scoring, Art Ross Trophy, twice 70 and 75
He won the Norris trophy from 69 thru 75
He won the Hart Trophy 70 and 71 and 72
Espo won the Ross trophy every year from 69, 71,72,73,74 so Orr had a lot of competition those years but still managed over a 100 points all those years as a defense man. Man IMO he is the greatest. The others are right up there but not quite on his level and he was a defenseman not a forward which is who we usually compare him to. I too wish it was the original six. League is way too watered down for me, as it is in most pro sports nowadays.

ThomCat 04-18-2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 (Post 484914)
Leetch comes pretty close to Orr. First American to win the Conn Smythe trophy. Orr changed the game.................

Ice

Leetch?????:huh: Pretty close!?!?! Come on, a hell of a player but he shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Orr.... or Park...... or Robinson..........:think:

afterhours 04-19-2007 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Iceman 6
Leetch comes pretty close to Orr.

sorry but not in your wildest dreams.....leetch was very good- orr was GREAT.

Swimmer 04-29-2007 10:51 AM

Thanks for posting that Ronnie.

irlnd32 06-28-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 459619)
Thanks Ronnie :D
That gave me goosebumps
He was absolutely the best ever
no question he was better than even Gretsky.
I wish hockey didn't get ruined, I miss it but they don't make players like Orr anymore, I can't believe the things he was able to do.:lurk:

Not better than Gretzky. Sorry

Mike P 06-28-2007 11:19 AM

Gretsky wouldn't have survived half a season on the NHL in Orr's era :rolleyes:

HighTide 06-28-2007 11:20 AM

I haven't watched a hockey game since the early 90's thogh I did go to one this year (free).
They may as well wear figure skates.

Slipknot 06-28-2007 11:25 AM

Orr was the greatest period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1fMc...elated&search=

Raider Ronnie 06-28-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 504010)

BINGO !!!
Gretsky was an offensive magician, but without a goon to protect him, he would not have hasted 1/2 a season back then, Gordie Howe would have leveled him just to prove that point !!! and Orr could and did drop the gloves whenever necessary!
But Gretsky wasn't as bad as Mario Lemeaux,
In my opinion,another amazing offensive player, but the biggest 6ft4 pussy who ever laced them up!

irlnd32 06-28-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike P (Post 504010)

Keep believing that. Half a season, thats a big eyeroll right there:scream:

ThomCat 06-29-2007 05:46 AM

It's apples & oranges. Gretzky played in a much more diluted league. He was surounded by superstars. Even the 3rd line on those Cup teams were allstars. How many H of F players were there? Blueliners...allstars, goalie... Hof F. I believe those teams would have won the Cups even without him, in fact, they did. Orr put the NHL on the map throughout the country. To further overuse a phrase, he made everybody around him better, much better. Esposito made a living and set a scoring record (at the time) just hanging around the net and scooping rebounds. #4 got in front of enough pucks to keep Cheevers star shining. Even his own players on the ice with him would find themselves in awe and mesmerized by his supremacy. He's got my vote for #1 all time:D . BTW, anyone ever hear #9 , Detroit RedWings?????

Mike P 06-29-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irlnd32 (Post 504144)
Keep believing that. Half a season, thats a big eyeroll right there:scream:

You know what--you're probably right after all--the refs probably would have made it a two minute minor just to breathe on him, and a major to actually check him :bl2:

He was the single most protected player in NHL history. :rollem:

Slipknot 12-05-2007 12:54 PM

Still gives me goosebumps watching it:smokin:

BigFish 12-05-2007 05:19 PM

Me too Slip! Probably watched it 200 times already! Make it 201!:laugha:

ProfessorM 01-04-2008 07:15 PM

Milt has seen most of them and if he says he is the greatest than enough said. Watched it again and no one ahead of him yet. That 360 move at the point around the Rangers player is classic. Which way did he go? Nice to see Lanny McDonald trimmed his stach for the show.

Raider Ronnie 01-04-2008 09:03 PM

Notices the 1st youtube link not working so time for another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9...eature=related

BigFish 01-04-2008 09:52 PM

Oh crap!!! Where did it go?!?!?!?!:doh:

Raider Ronnie 01-04-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 552515)
Oh crap!!! Where did it go?!?!?!?!:doh:

Not sure!
It works fine for me on youtube, but for some reason after cutting & pasting it's not working:smash:
I'll dig up another one !

Raider Ronnie 01-04-2008 10:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec

Slipknot 01-04-2008 11:04 PM

I don't even see how some of the moves he made in that video were possible, I just shake my head in amazment

this is the member that posted it so you can find that Carly Simon one

http://youtube.com/profile?user=redmasque

ProfessorM 01-05-2008 06:01 PM

Man amongst boys. Wayne G was good but no way no how he could take over the game like RGO. I think he could rag the biscut till everyone keeled over in exhaustion if he wanted, and I got to see it all live:btu:

HESH2 02-14-2008 08:14 AM

gordie was probably best ever,size,scoring,toughness and was the complete package.each era was different,bring back the orginal 6.can't picture alot of modern day players playing against rocket richard and players of that era.

ThomCat 02-14-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HESH2 (Post 565177)
gordie was probably best ever,size,scoring,toughness and was the complete package.each era was different,bring back the orginal 6.can't picture alot of modern day players playing against rocket richard and players of that era.

I must respectfully disagree. Orr was as big as Howe, tough enough so that after the first few years nobody challenged him any more (except that suicidal Kieth Magnuson),was an incredible skater, stick handler and scorer and was a defenseman!!!!!:cheers2:

HESH2 02-14-2008 11:30 AM

orr was great but not as tough or as big as gordie.gordie took care of his own problems,orr has cashman and alot of other big bad bruins to watch over him.cam # 8 was alot like howe.saw old time hockey clips they rode trains back orginal 6 and did'nt mingle and actually hated each other.todays players are bigger,faster,more skilled.saying that gordie at 6'3'' was all of that.don't forget he had major injury and that why they called him blinkly.

JeffH 02-14-2008 01:02 PM

In all of those clips he looks like the only kid who knows how to skate in a neighborhood pickup game at the local pond.........Everyone else is standing around while he stickhandles them dizzy..............