Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Plug building steps (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=10823)

saltyric 11-08-2003 09:53 AM

Plug building steps

I was hoping to get some recommendations on my method of plug building. Currently I turn and sand the plug blank. Drill all the holes. Dip the plug in a sealer and allow it to dry for a week or so. I then paint it and clear coat it. For the final step I add the gromets, thru wire, and hooks. I want to start using system three or envirotex but I am not sure at what point in the process I should do it. Any recommendations on a better process would be much appreciated. Thanks

Christian 11-08-2003 10:02 AM

whatever works for you is good, i through drill before turning, swivel and weight holes after turning. i then seal, weight, prime, paint, a coat of polyeurethane, then envirotex.

heres somthing that might help you out.

finishing with envirotex

saltyric 11-08-2003 10:07 AM

Christian - I do drill the thru hole before turning. Do you paint and envirotex over all the hardware? Just curious.

Christian 11-08-2003 10:17 AM

no i dont paint over the hardware. i wire after painting.
when i envirotex all hardware is in. i try to keep the envirotex off the wire and swivel as much as possible. i do like to cover the grommets with the finish.

saltyric 11-08-2003 10:21 AM

Thats what I thought. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Tagger 11-08-2003 11:48 AM

try drilling belly hole and weight holes before turning too..cut lip before turning ..lip perfect 90 degrees to belly hole ,,automatic

BigFish 11-08-2003 02:32 PM

Why do some people drill their holes after the plug is turned??? Seems like it would be easier to drill when wood is rectagular for better clamping in drill press jig???:confused:

blackeye 11-08-2003 02:45 PM

I drill after turning-I use the holes left from the lathe as the starter for the thru wire holes. I mark the blank where the weight and belly hook holes go while it is spinning on the lathe, and use the squared end pieces to keep the blank level when I drill the rest of the holes. No problems so far.

cutchogue 12-06-2007 08:00 PM

Hi,

I have a Belly weight question. I am just starting out making needles and tried epoxying in belly weight before turning wood and it seems to be easier than adding weight after turning. My question is will the Devcon 5 min epoxy hold up to the sealer. I'm planning to use 50% Val oil 50% turp. I maybe jumping ahead of myself epoxying the weight in before sealing wood. Any suggestions would help from you experienced plug builders.
Thanks Al,:wall:

justplugit 12-06-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 114095)
Why do some people drill their holes after the plug is turned??? Seems like it would be easier to drill when wood is rectagular for better clamping in drill press jig???:confused:

Prolly cause some like to Hydro-orient.

gone fishin 12-06-2007 10:11 PM

You can see the grain and drill the hole into the flat of the grain - less chance of splitting.

Slipknot 12-06-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutchogue (Post 545518)
Hi,

I have a Belly weight question. I am just starting out making needles and tried epoxying in belly weight before turning wood and it seems to be easier than adding weight after turning. My question is will the Devcon 5 min epoxy hold up to the sealer. I'm planning to use 50% Val oil 50% turp. I maybe jumping ahead of myself epoxying the weight in before sealing wood. Any suggestions would help from you experienced plug builders.
Thanks Al,:wall:

I never tried that but I suppose it would work. If you find trouble around the belly weight area afterwards from water intrusion, then you'll know how it works out.

epoxy the lead in well though, you don't want any flying bullets coming off the lathe

Slipknot 12-06-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 114095)

not everyone plans out ahead of time or does production work, some of us do small batches of a few kinds and unique one of a kind stuff too.

BigFish 12-06-2007 10:43 PM

Bruce...check the date on that post?? I don't think I was building yet??:bl::laughs:

Slipknot 12-06-2007 10:53 PM

oh
I thought it was last month :gf:
atleast I answered you :D nobody else did :rolleyes::faga:

carry on

BigFish 12-06-2007 11:04 PM

Where does the time go huh Bruce?? :huh:

Oh and thanks....I was losing sleep waiting for the answer!:hihi: