Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Never buy a DELL (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=12109)

CustomMarineProducts 01-12-2004 02:44 PM

Never buy a DELL

I bought a Dell 8300 back in Sept. I have nothing but problems with the system.
So far they have had to replace the Hard drive.(loosing all my info) Then the monitor went,(that I paid an $300 for the larger size)
And now the cd/dvd burner has just smoked.
As far as they're concerned, I own it and "sorry for the inconvience"
It is under warantee, but, I have lost allot of time/money farting around with this machine. I paid the extra thinking I was going to get a nice piece of equipement. What I got was a nice looking box filled with crap equipement.
NEVER BUY A DELL
Pete:af:

fishweewee 01-12-2004 02:47 PM

My Gateway has never given me any problems, although I have to say that Dell's customer service at one point was better than Gateway's.

-WW

Slipknot 01-12-2004 02:49 PM

ut oh :( bummer

CustomMarineProducts 01-12-2004 02:51 PM

Their customer service I must say has been great.
I just never expected to get to know them so well!! We are on first name basis! The guy that comes and does the replacing of parts told me, that he plugs in hard drives all day long.

JohnR 01-12-2004 03:02 PM

Its all a crap shoot - 98% of the PCs today use lowest bidder commodity components. When a burner costs Dell 20 bucks a what and a drive costs 30, there can often be failures.

Its all numbers - move as many as you can.

My last office had 300 Dell PCs plus our servers, they were OK. I don't think it would have been any different unless spending high coin on a full blown redundant workstation

likwid 01-12-2004 04:06 PM

Been running Dells on BOATS for a few years now without any issues whatsoever.

Its hit and miss.

chris L 01-12-2004 04:16 PM

they all suck !
by the time we get them they are outdated . thank goodness my job has to supply me with multiple machines 4 and a laptop . 2 dells , an IBM and a mac , my laptop is a dell too .

CustomMarineProducts 01-12-2004 06:57 PM

Well,
I went to the Dell site and posted letters of discontent all over the place (forums).
I just recieved an e-mail stating that they are going to replace my computor after all. Funny how people can change their minds!!!
Anyway, only felt it was fair to let everyone know that they did finally step up to the plate and are fixing their mess.:bsod:

fishweewee 01-12-2004 07:24 PM

I used to be a hardcore Mac addict.

Then one day I got fed up with paying a premium for a product nobody was writing software for. That, and nobody uses Macs at work except for creative guys. :af:

beachwalker 01-12-2004 07:49 PM

FWW,

I always hear that. Creative people use mac, boring people use MS. F%&$k that. Some of the so called creative types are only creative because they have the TIME to be. It is amazing how in love with themselves people can be :laughs: :laughs:

Bummer about the Dell Pete. I bought a new Compaq lap last year after shopping for one for almost a year. Have a Sony Vaio Desk and they both are holding up fine.

I hate when shiite doesn't work after you pay decent money for it. Glad to hear that they are taking care of you.

:)

Raven 01-13-2004 09:05 PM

atta boy pete

glad you exchanged that lemon....i did the same thing (fish wee wee) ,but with my origional gateway......i was on the horn with tech support all the time and then i simply said: " hey ya know what, i didnt spend 4500 bucks to have this big of a headache" and i sent it back (the box only) and got another one in a week.
i still have it although it now has multiple drives and has seen 5 different operating systems.I definately need to upgrade but i can assure you it wont be a dell from hell. Perhaps an amd or i'll just rip everything out of my more than roomy tower and build my own.

ChrisH 01-15-2004 07:10 PM

I only use Macs...I guess I'm a creative type... fishweewee what do you mean nobody is writing software for the Mac? I got PhotoShop, Illustrator, Quark, Dreamweaver, Flash... what more does a creative guy need??:D

OSX rocks...

Chris

canyondiver 02-02-2004 11:10 PM

Chris,
OSX is great but the updates and the trouble they have been causing are a bit of a bitch:af: Not that PCs are any less or more troublesome.
I love my Macs and being unpopular, we are way way less susceptible to viruses.

CustomMarineProducts 02-04-2004 10:17 AM

Well,
I have to take back every good thing I ever said about Dell.
I am still waiting for the new system. They are absoloutly the most incompetant bunch of fools I have ever had the missfortune of doing business with.
They sent the computer to the wrong address and now aren't sure when the new one can be sent out.
Seems odd to me, when they took the original order, they shipped the computer in 3 days, so they could hit my credit card.
Now that they are replacing a defective system at their cost, it has taken them 5 weeks and still no end in sight. All I get is apologies and excuses. No answers.
NEVER BUY A DELL

CustomMarineProducts 02-06-2004 07:20 PM

Finally got the new computer. But, they forgot to ship the monitor!! Now, they want me to wait till next week

chris L 02-06-2004 07:32 PM

pete call them up and demand to talk to the boss and go right up the ladder and show them how upset you are over this and how you will never recommend or buy their product again . it may get you a discount or some kind of satisfaction . they should and probably will make it right .

CustomMarineProducts 02-06-2004 08:01 PM

Chris,
I have hours on the phone with these people. They tell you whatever you want to hear. And ask you to wait another couple days. When you call backin a couple days, they tell you there was a mistake and it's gonna take a couple of weeks!!!
This has gone on now for 5-6 weeks.
I posted on their forum, and someone gave me a Dell executive's personal e-mail. She was not to happy about it, but I would not tell her who gave it to me.
I think it has been resolved now, Either that or everyone I know including you people are going to get her addy too!!!
;-)

fishaholic18 02-06-2004 08:24 PM

Give us the addy, it's winter, we need something to do. We're all suicidal.

CustomMarineProducts 02-06-2004 08:33 PM

I will give her till Monday. Hey after 5 weeks whats another couple of days.
Besides, I am still waiting on my rebate, that should be good for you guys to sink your teeth into.

CustomMarineProducts 02-07-2004 11:22 PM

I just got an e-mail telling me that they value me as a customer and want me to call them so they can discuss getting me a new tower.
The thing was delivered yesterday, and now they are trying to find it!!!
These are the guys leading the technology revolution!!!