Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fish caught on your own plugs? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=26744)

Slipknot 10-19-2005 12:51 PM

Fish caught on your own plugs?

So how many of you have caught bass on your own custom made plugs this year so far? Any pictures you care to share?

I've done ok, not great but ok. Not many pictures because when I bring a camera, I end up with nothing to take pics of half the time. There is still time so I'll try some more.

BigFish 10-19-2005 01:29 PM

I got a few for you Slip! :btu:

tobias 10-19-2005 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
25#'s on my needle. Same night Toby caught a 35# on my needle too.

BigFish 10-19-2005 01:39 PM

Striped ones.....

OldJohn 10-19-2005 01:41 PM

Hi, Slip.....
The OJ Needle strikes again..... :btu: :btu:
--OJ

BigFish 10-19-2005 01:48 PM

More striped ones...and a largemouth bass....

OldJohn 10-19-2005 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooooops...no pic. Trying again..... --OJ

BigFish 10-19-2005 01:50 PM

Tobias...sweet fish and nice pic! :btu:

Slingah 10-19-2005 02:38 PM

Ive only made one plug...and Larry helped me.... that plug had some serious mojo before I finally lost it 2 weeks ago :crying:
it was a yellow and red 1.5 oz pencil popper....if any of youz guys have one...( he made more :love: )......you know, that plug rocks
I really should carry a camera too...lots of missed photo opps this fall

afterhours 10-19-2005 04:46 PM

hey larry, i recconize that fish with the jointed surfster in it's mouth :jester:

Squid kids Dad 10-19-2005 05:14 PM

Larry..that plug does look familar.... :btu:

Nebe 10-19-2005 05:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
yup :bounce:

RI Popper 10-19-2005 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Couldn't begin to count how many I've caught on my own lures. Thousands of blues --- into the hundreds of Stripers :rotfl:

Tagger 10-19-2005 06:31 PM

5 30# few 20# all in Sept most on different size blue and white needles I made.. dropped a cow , would guess around 90# 1 of the 30# was on a blurple 17a bomber.. 1 of the 20# were on small pink and white needle ,fish i stole from Slingah.. Nephew got 30# on my needle too .. Made them a year ago ,,lost the recipe .. Sounds like I killed them this year but I didn't .. just about everytime I went fishing I only caught 1 fish.. 1 good one.. this is nephews fish ... had him with me, only reason I had a camera

castn4bass 10-19-2005 06:52 PM

nailed em

first day I really hammered them was today on my plugs. after catching the first fish on a yellow spook, I snapped it off. this plugs got some serious mojo cause on the next cast with its brother(another spook) I hooked the line and got it back!!! put it back on and managed about 50 fish throuout the day . largest at 40 inches about 25 lbs!!! tell me it wasn't worth it now!! :cheers:

Jigman 10-19-2005 07:19 PM

Pretty much all I've used for the last few years has been my stuff or stuff I've got in swaps from other builders. Have not caught a monster on my stuff yet, but know a few guys who have caught some pretty good ones on them.

Jigman

Diggin Jiggin 10-19-2005 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from my fishing trip at the beginning of the month. These were all caught at night in a nice 3 foot surf on the the S Shore of Nantucket. We were only one em good for 2 nights, but it was a great time.

In the picture is my Dad, Jim (an old family friend) and myself.
Dad and Jim were fishing my slim yellow danny's, I was fishing my larger fat black one.

The fish weren't huge, 33-37", but how many 86 year old guys are still out there fishing the surf. This was a really sweet night. The past few seasons we haven't been able to get Jim onto any good fishing but we kind of lucked out and found some fish near where we could park so he didn't have to walk too far or fish in a crowd. He ended up with 3 keepers, and a few good memories...

RI Popper 10-19-2005 07:55 PM

Hey diggin-jiggin, that picture really brought a smile to my face, thanks for sharing it with us. Those are the memories of a life time. And it's also encouraging to us all :)

Armand

Karl F 10-19-2005 08:44 PM

no pics, but, no complaints either.... :)
had some schoolies, some keeper size, and bigger,
and a nice one this year :D
but no camera on sand for me.
I caught a bunch of blues on my stuff too :doh:

Best thing by far this year, was coming home and having a message on the answering maching from one of the kids that got one of the 100 plugs I donated, he, and his dad left me a nice message, telling me of the nice striper the youngster had caught... I still get a charge when I think of finding that on my answering machine :btu:

ThrowingTimber 10-19-2005 10:45 PM

Johnny the ratt boy/ plum island surfcaster/ kennedy yells over to me that hes going to throw some big wood, launches a pencil I made and hooks up :devil: That felt pretty cool, cept I didnt have another one on me for myself but thats ok :btu:

Slipknot 10-20-2005 05:57 AM

Nice fish guys :btu:

Karl, you should be in the lead for the year-long tourney here on the site with your cow you caught and released :D Nice job.

Armand, that is a really large bass on one of your plugs from out of the canal. SWEET!

Sounds like quite a compilation of success stories so far :) any more?
thanks

redneck24 10-20-2005 06:09 AM

caught a bunch on my wood, but nothing to write home about, i had another crappy year all around.

Slipknot 10-20-2005 06:29 AM

Well I hope it gets better Daryl.
BTW, that 1207 of yours I bought has got me alot of fish :D I love it. casts great and fights fish great :btu:

Jigman 10-20-2005 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowingTimber
Johnny the ratt boy/ plum island surfcaster/ kennedy yells over to me that hes going to throw some big wood, launches a pencil I made and hooks up :devil: That felt pretty cool, cept I didnt have another one on me for myself but thats ok :btu:

"Now its time to get serious" Blam "I'm on!" :btu: Ahhhh, the memories :rotfl:

Jigman

Adam R 10-20-2005 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
on a needlefish

Charleston 10-20-2005 01:21 PM

I have not caught on my wood...but... I give most of them away (trade)and the recipients have caught on them.... :splat:

Aqua-man 10-20-2005 02:17 PM

best day

1 Attachment(s)
This was the about the best day with my own wood. not only because we caught nothing but keepers for about 2 1/2 hours, but I brought my brother, who i don't get to see much and he's only caught one keeper to date. I guess this would be a good time to thank everyone for all the info and instructions in the plug building forum. You helped make a good day of fishing into a great memory with my bro.

castn4bass 10-20-2005 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
over 100 stripers on it, held up well, should I retire it now or keep fishing it?

TheRattBoy 10-20-2005 05:41 PM

First Pikies I made I wasn't sure of what the action on the originals was , so , I made mine swimmers...swim a couple of feet under the surface , nice wiggle...turns out the things are PISSA when large bait (herring, ect.) is around. And i've caught LOTS of nice fish on other peoples (online guys) stuff...even yer little white Danny, Bruce , it's still in action. :humpty: :kewl:
johnny

winchmaster 10-21-2005 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small swimmer