Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Lost plug on the first cast? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=37803)

Swimmer 01-26-2007 09:17 PM

Lost plug on the first cast?

How many people here have bought a brand new plug and lost it on the first cast? I have and it really burns me, but in the end it was my fault for not paying attention to the details.

GattaFish 01-26-2007 09:22 PM

last year I lost a brand new tattoos sea dog,,,,,, it was about the 3rd cast,,,,

Then out on BI I lost a red fin,,, That was much easier to take,,,

vineyardblues 01-26-2007 09:37 PM

Close, a few years ago I asked my daughter if I could use her new rod just to take a few casts as we were driving down the beach,and guess what happened, I put on a 3+ oz
lure and cast it only to rip off the first 6 inches of her rod!
True story, and I will never live it down!
VB

missing link 01-26-2007 09:58 PM

REDNECK time to own up remember? me and JR with you ???
I've been in the same boat,.SHORE I'm still looking for that plug
Link Sr

thortum 01-26-2007 10:00 PM

I belong to that club. Those always seem to be the best casting plugs. They really fly.

Squid kids Dad 01-26-2007 10:18 PM

I have..On the Vineyard last year..Brand new Bigfish plug..Snap off:af:

BigFish 01-26-2007 11:29 PM

:huh: You didn't swim for it Mike?:bc:

tattoobob 01-26-2007 11:39 PM

I have and I have also lost one before it was even tied on my line

jimmy z 01-27-2007 12:03 AM

I try not to use a new plug on the first cast.:btu:
I cast garbage and junk!:laugha:

afterhours 01-27-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 455467)
:huh: You didn't swim for it Mike?:bc:

larry would of......:bl:

Squid kids Dad 01-27-2007 09:35 AM

:btu: Frigging thing went a mile..:rotf2:

Katie 01-27-2007 12:56 PM

Ive done that once, thought dad would of freaked on on me, then he told me he didnt put a good one on, that made me feel better.
Then this was maybe 3 years ago, dad casted out, cast out this black and red one (forget what its called) and, for about 20 minutes, we were trying to fish it back with catching it on my plug from my rod, we got it back... really close to going swimming for it though :D

hunan 01-27-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missing link (Post 455453)
REDNECK time to own up remember? me and JR with you ???
I've been in the same boat,.SHORE I'm still looking for that plug
Link Sr

its me, on hunans comp. which one? i lost dons spook, which i told him about. and i lost the tattoo spook with jr. :rolleyes:

Backbeach Jake 01-27-2007 05:44 PM

Last Summer I broke off a MAC superswap pencil on a fish,second cast with MAC standing right there. I felt like an idiot. Then a seal took a canal special.:wall: Slow learner, I guess...

justplugit 01-27-2007 06:18 PM

last year,First cast of the season i broke off a Bernzy Howdy right out of the package. Ranked up there with loosing a big yellow 3oz Hahn bottle off the end of a jetty. Man, did that thing just sail right out there. :(

animal 01-27-2007 06:44 PM

Yup a banana yellow Salty's sherriff.Not a 1/2 hour after I bought it.

UserRemoved1 01-27-2007 07:34 PM

WAT

I once lost 4 brand new poppers in 10 minutes....

My buddy comes down from Canada with his son and I take them out fishing on the southside of Nashwena. We're into breaking (decent) fish, there's two kids hooking up non stop, me hooking up too. My buddy casts out again and PLINK off goes the lure to Mars...I get my fish in and get him a new popper tied on. I get the boat repositioned in the drift and he casts again. PLINK gone again. WTF, retie another new one on. Pandemonium as two 9 year old kids landing gators at once. Buddy casts again, catches a fish. GREAT. Casts again. PLINK off goes the damn lure to Mars again. I say gimme the damn thing WTH you doing. Tie another new lure on, I cast it out and yep... you guessed it...PLINK off to Mars. %$%$%$%$ing knot in the line about 100' down right around the %$%$%$%$ing spool.

Lesson learned. :rollem:

Swimmer 01-27-2007 08:08 PM

Salty, at least you know where to go for a new lure on short notice.

missing link 01-27-2007 10:31 PM

i lost my nebe popper @ the mud hole
snap & see ya later
L

missing link 01-27-2007 10:33 PM

redneck it was the AH PLUG WE were casting to try to get but:bshake:
L

EricW 01-28-2007 08:56 AM

I've snapped off a few lures over time. I am always amazed at how far it travels without that pesky line attached to it.

thortum 01-28-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (Post 455765)
WAT

I once lost 4 brand new poppers in 10 minutes....

My buddy comes down from Canada with his son and I take them out fishing on the southside of Nashwena. We're into breaking (decent) fish, there's two kids hooking up non stop, me hooking up too. My buddy casts out again and PLINK off goes the lure to Mars...I get my fish in and get him a new popper tied on. I get the boat repositioned in the drift and he casts again. PLINK gone again. WTF, retie another new one on. Pandemonium as two 9 year old kids landing gators at once. Buddy casts again, catches a fish. GREAT. Casts again. PLINK off goes the damn lure to Mars again. I say gimme the damn thing WTH you doing. Tie another new lure on, I cast it out and yep... you guessed it...PLINK off to Mars. %$%$%$%$ing knot in the line about 100' down right around the %$%$%$%$ing spool.

Lesson learned. :rollem:

I'm feel sorry for losses but you have to admit, that's a funny story if the reader is't standing in your shoes.

UserRemoved1 01-28-2007 12:01 PM

yea we still laugh about it thortum. Those are the days you remember the best :)

angler229 01-29-2007 01:15 PM

I have had that happen to me. Meet up with a buddy, and he gives me a darter he had made. So I throw it out and start to let it drift. Next thing you know I feel a little tap and go to reel in and no more plug. Stupid bluefish chomped the line before I even got to close the bail and start a retrieve.

Mike P 01-29-2007 01:40 PM

After searching my memory, the best I can do is come up with is snapping off an old lure on my first cast with a brand new rod :huh:

Rockfish9 01-29-2007 02:22 PM

Not me, but my son....During the height of bluefish season (in New Jersey) he and his farther in law seem to "give away" about 50 plugs a season... Some time in mid August i get the call "Hey old man... do ya got anymore of those 8" danny 's or hey old man whats up, you'll never believe the size of the bluefish the destroyed the jointed pikie you gave me last Christmas...." or my favoirite, "Hey old man, I'm haveing a bunch of guy's over, were going to the hook some night next week, gut anymore of those surface swimmers ya sent me in June? to which I reply.. "what the $#&% happend to the 20 I sent ya !" His answer "well, John (the farther in law)and I had a little tackle trouble last week end."... A little tackle trouble???? At least I have a place for my ABC( Allready been chewed) plugs and my rejects!

Jimbo 01-29-2007 02:22 PM

I have. Like Vineyardblues, I was giving a refresher lesson to my 10 year old with her rod and a new mini needle I had just bought for her. In the course of the lesson I had notched the line on my finger, but never flipped the bale. "OK, now watch how daddy does it..." SNAP! She won't let me touch her rod anymore.

PoPin Plug 01-29-2007 02:59 PM

dimond jig w/ mack rig..... glad there not THAT expensive

STREETFIGHT 01-29-2007 03:13 PM

i used to find myself snapping plugs off on the first cast at the 2nd or 3rd spot i would fish in a night- it happened about 3 times before i figured out the plugs hooks were nicking the line while in my front end rod racks- sice then i take the plugs off if going long distances between spots- have not lost a plug on a first cast since.....