Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   22 dead kids (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=40105)

UserRemoved1 04-16-2007 12:00 PM

22 dead kids

:(

Sad

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070416/D8OHQA5O0.html

They had them in lockdown, lifted the lockdown and he started shooting again.

JohnR 04-16-2007 12:01 PM

unbelievable

PaulS 04-16-2007 12:09 PM

I had just heard 17 shot w/ only 2 killed.

Sad!

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 12:40 PM

in VA it is not against the law to carry concealed on a college campus, except for VCU (a one-off exception). open carry is legal almost everywhere.

if there was just ONE armed citizen on campus - who knows if the outcome would have been different.

words which will forever live in infamy:

Quote:

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

fishsmith 04-16-2007 12:46 PM

OMG that is horrible, god bless the victims families.
How much more f'd is going to get.

Andy D 04-16-2007 12:47 PM

Another A$$HOLE with a deathwish that didn't have the balls to kill himself . Figures kill a few students and let the police kill me. F%%KIN
COWARD

BigFish 04-16-2007 12:49 PM

What can you say......such a shame! What the hell is wrong with these kinds of people????:doh:

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 12:49 PM

news is saying that the shooter did kill himself.

UserRemoved1 04-16-2007 12:50 PM

abc news is reporting 32 killed and many more coming.

:(

BigFish 04-16-2007 12:51 PM

Why can't they just take themselves out?!?!?!? Why do they always have to take alot of innocent, vibrant lives with them?!?!?!?

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 12:52 PM

...but HOW could something like this ever happen?

The university BANNED GUNS on campus. :rolleyes:

Andy D 04-16-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassturbed (Post 484258)
news is saying that the shooter did kill himself.

Thanks for the correction

Raven 04-16-2007 12:57 PM

what happened to

the metal detector searches ? :huh:

such a waste of innocent lives...

and nobody saw this coming.???

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 12:58 PM

gun-free zones = gun-free victim zones.

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 01:06 PM

law enforcement may have dropped the ball on this one (to some extent).

two unusual bomb threats made in the last two days (targeted at the engineering building). and nobody puts 2+2 together.

the new police response doctrine is to rush in and take out the school shooter as soon as possible rather than the old way of securing the scene and calling in a negotiator (this changed after columbine).

so the cops secured the dorm but reportedly lost track of the shooter FOR TWO HOURS ... the shooter then moved on to commit more mayhem today.

i fear this will play out to be a tragic comedy of errors ...

likwid 04-16-2007 01:08 PM

32 dead
29 wounded

vineyardblues 04-16-2007 01:22 PM

A very very SAD day in America.
I know several kids who go their and I hope for the best, for them and all the families.
VB

Diamond Tackle 04-16-2007 01:55 PM

This tragedy is beyond words. This is a sad day for this country that will go down in history.
Dont wanna get into a gun debate, but as stated above since the schools are now 100%gun free zones, im sure even the security guards were unable to help in any way whatsoever,which means MANY victims with no way to defend themselves. If even one teacher was carrying, this would have ended with less lives lost, but I guess we trust noone with guns, and this sicko made the most of it.

Rockfish9 04-16-2007 01:57 PM

If he wanted to kill people so badly, I'm sure the Army would have been more than happy to put this maniac to work.....

The only reason I can see for someone like that to take out so many innocent lives is to become a marter.... nothing else makes sense.

truely a sad, sad day....

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 02:08 PM

it's too soon to tell what's motivated this guy, but nobody's ruling out sudden jihad syndrome.

i'd put my money on a stressed out college kid who just snapped. a girlfriend or ex-girlfriend was mentioned.

Raven 04-16-2007 02:31 PM

the word

back scatter comes to mind....

what a sickening event.... :hs:

So many families with tradgedy...as if the conflict
in Iraq isn't enough ....:confused:

how the assailants turn harming oneself into
harming everyone they can to deliver their hatred
or dissatisfaction will be the riddle to solve.

Slingah 04-16-2007 02:57 PM

too much to comprehend.......
sad day in deed......
God save us from ourselves........

wheresmy50 04-16-2007 03:00 PM

Rest in peace. Best wishes to their families.

It would have been great if someone else had a gun, but unfortunately it didn't work out that way. How could it with the miniscule level of legal concealed carry? Maybe the police made a mistake, maybe not. I'm sure they don't get a lot of practice with that type of thing down there. They'll be loosing a lot of sleep trying to think of what they could have done differently.

At least the shooter is dead. No silly trial & life sentence.

The news is already having a field day with this - "How could this have been prevented?" Unreal. They're just cashing in.

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 03:37 PM

'nuff said.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../vtech9523.jpg

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 04:52 PM

if anyone is in to grim statistics, here is the worst mass school killing in u.s. history (it's not Virginia Tech or Columbine or UT):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

mosholu 04-16-2007 04:55 PM

Bassturbed please come out of the bunker and smell reality.
Concealed weapons were the cause of the loss of 32 innocent lives.

fishpoopoo 04-16-2007 04:59 PM

baloney.

a fox can have his way in the chicken coop.

32 people died because a nutbag was on the loose and there was a no guns on campus policy.

Estimated percentage of Virginians who carry concealed: 1% or more

Number of VT students: 25,000

Number of VT students who might have been able to stop this tragedy from unfolding if allowed by school to conceal carry: 250

Quote:

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

Monday - April 16, 2007

CARNAGE AT VIRGINIA TECH

Like me, I'm sure many of you are busy tracking the news stories out of Blacksburg, Virginia. A person, presumably a student, armed with two semi-automatic pistols has hilled at least 32 people. The shooter is dead. Whether by his own hand, or at the hands of law enforcement, is not yet known.

As the initial shock wears off you can bet that the anti-Second Amendment people wall be coming out of the woodwork. By the time the evening network newscasts hit we will have no shortage of spokesmen for various anti-gun groups stepping forth to issue their tired call for an end to the private ownership of handguns.

This is undoubtedly the worst school shooting, high school, college or otherwise, in the history of our country. There are some facts, however, about some of these school shootings of which you probably are not aware. Do you know, for instance, that at least three shootings in high schools were stopped by civilians with guns? Civilians, not law enforcement. In one case a civilian was traveling past a school when he saw children running from the building. One told him that there was a student inside shooting people. The civilian pulled his gun, ran in side, and confronted the student. The student put down the gun and surrendered. In another case a high school vice-principal heard that there was a student in the hallways with a gun. He sprinted a half-mile to his car. He had a gun in his car so he had to park off campus. He then sprinted back with the gun to confront the student. Lives saved.

The point here is that you are never ever going to get the guns out of the hands of those who want to use them for carnage. Never. Gun control programs will only succeed in getting the guns out of the hands of people who want them and need them for self-defense. Never, in the history of America's gun control movement, has anyone set forth a viable program to get the guns out of the hands of those who would use them to commit crimes. Similarly, the gun control movement will never give any fair coverage at all to the people who use guns to save their own lives, or the lives of others.

We'll have much more to say about this tomorrow. For now, you should know that earlier this year the Virginia General Assembly failed to act on House Bill 1572. This bill would have allowed college students and employees to carry handguns on campus --- with appropriate permits, of course. It died in subcommittee. Larry Hincker, a spokesman for Virginia Tech, the site of today's carnage, said "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Well .. how's today for safety?

If it had been legal for students, employees or faculty members with permits to carry guns on the campus, is it at all possible that there might be some students alive today who didn't make it through the carnage? Do you think the actions of the Virginia General Assembly stopped the gunman from getting his guns and carrying them to the campus?

More on this tomorrow.

basswipe 04-16-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosholu (Post 484341)
Bassturbed please come out of the bunker and smell reality.
Concealed weapons were the cause of the loss of 32 innocent lives.

Get yer facts straight.31 Innocent lives unless you consider the killer innocent.

The state of VA. does not allow the carrying of concealed weapons without stringent regs.If VA had better laws and the university had not banned guns altogether someone might have been able to prevent this.

If YOU were in a position to prevent the killing of another person by you having the use of a firearm would you kill the perp to save the lives of the innocent?Of course you would.

Here in America those states/cities/towns where its permissable for good law-abiding citizens to carry the crime rate is negligible.This is an undisputable fact.

You want proof?Ask Texas state representative Suzanna Gratia.She watched her father and mother along with 21 others were murdered.
She was the #1 instrumental person in getting TX CC passed.The TX crime rate is so low its actually peaceful.

Best advice...worry about your own country.The UK has enough of its share of serial killers,child molestors/kindnappers/murderers for you even begin to judge US society.

Slipknot 04-16-2007 06:38 PM

HORRIBLE! :hs: :(
I just saw video on news from a cell phone, looked like the cops weren't moving too fast. What a sad day.
I'm with Ben, more armed citizens can help in situations like this.

Jenn 04-16-2007 06:55 PM

I agree. The laws only stop the law abiding from carrying.....not the lunatics that do these things.