Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Grumpy Old Pharts Board (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Fuel costs (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=40159)

Mr. Sandman 04-18-2007 08:29 AM

Fuel costs

This is the THIRD TIME I have seen these two types of headlines on the SAME PAGE of the news on the same day...

Crude keeps falling and pump prices rise...it is really starting to piss me off.

Oil Prices Continue Slide AP

Gas Prices: A Costly Spring for Drivers
Fuel prices are rising higher well before the summer driving season, reaching a record high for April. Will pain at the pump worsen down the road?

Its time we tap our domestic resources and put some economic pressure on the rest of the world We stop buying from them you watch the price drop!
...WHILE AT THE SAME TIME..build more domestic refineries AND invest in next generation atomic plants. I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is our clean long term solution. For vehicles we need improved battery/fuel cell technology and it is coming. But in the meantime I want gas below 2 bucks a gallon fachristsakes.

GattaFish 04-18-2007 10:00 AM

That's because there is plenty of oil,,,,, Always has been,,, Sh$t you can still get oil at $40 a barrel,,,, It is just bitter,,, not the sweet stuff that needs (key words) Less refining,,,

It all has to do with the refineries..... That's where the shortage is,,,, and it is always a reason for the oil companies to raise gas prices,,,,, So there is no incentive to build a new refinery when you can still meet demand and make more money doing it....

MAC 04-18-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GattaFish (Post 484850)
That's because there is plenty of oil,,,,, Always has been,,, Sh$t you can still get oil at $40 a barrel,,,, It is just bitter,,, not the sweet stuff that needs (key words) Less refining,,,

It all has to do with the refineries..... That's where the shortage is,,,, and it is always a reason for the oil companies to raise gas prices,,,,, So there is no incentive to build a new refinery when you can still meet demand and make more money doing it....

That is how I see it. If company A processes x number of barrels and continues to make a profit (a substantial one at that) with a set # of refineries, why would they open up or bring back on line more? Sure they could process more and get their costs down. But is it really in their best interests? Their biggest concern is the bottom line and if they make the same net profit by refining more (cumulative) , why would they bother. More refineries means more people working for them and the greater chance for something to cost them money. ie; mechanical failures,potential injuries and lawsuits and all the other expenses associated.

Sure it would make the general population happier. But then again, I don't believe they give 2 craps about us. Their biggest concern is about the bottom line. We are becoming a society of "the Haves", and "Have Nots". Middle class America is slowly heading towards non existence and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

I would bet 40 or so years ago the majority of homes had stay at home moms. That isn't the case today. Not many households can get by on a single "bread winner".

Swimmer 04-18-2007 11:12 AM

Fuel costs suck!

Rockfish9 04-18-2007 11:15 AM

I'm sure now they will double this week and blame it on the storm!:mad:

Raven 04-18-2007 02:04 PM

the price will drop when we get into warmer weather....
fuel oil prices will fall... creating a landslide....:p

BigFish 04-18-2007 03:15 PM

Gas prices will rise thru July 4th as they always do.....so hold onto your hat!!:realmad:

Jenn 04-18-2007 04:51 PM

food for thought....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/gas1.html

Backbeach Jake 04-18-2007 05:21 PM

42 dollahs American to fill my JImmy today. I coulda cried...

Slipknot 04-18-2007 06:41 PM

I wish my truck was only 42 bucks, I filled up tonight on the way home and paid 90 dollars :af: :af: freakin oil companies and their greed is making me sick and costing me more than just money :lossinit:
:wall:
I can't take this much longer.

55 miles one way to where I'm working, 25 bucks in gas alone for the round trip:gorez:

eastendlu 04-18-2007 06:47 PM

Bruce i'm with you i commute 100 miles a day 6 days a week.I can't wait for it to hit $4.00 a gallon i might as well just have my job direct depost my weeks pay into the oil companies account.

MAC 04-18-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 484965)

What is the "tax" applied by these other countries to their prices? And what do they get from these added taxes?

http://wais.stanford.edu/ztopics/wee...usvseurope.htm

Wee Hooker 04-18-2007 07:17 PM

What torkx me off is that we are double -tripple paying. We paid in cash and blood to liberate and rebuild Kuait. Ditto Afganistan. Then Iraq. Do we get a "deal" of fuel from any of these ingrates??? Noooo. Do we get to pay extra taxs to be over there protecting and rebuilding them. Yessss. So we get to pay extra for their goods AND give them huge chunks of out tax $ too. We're suckers.

Backbeach Jake 04-18-2007 07:40 PM

Slip, believe me, I feel your pain. Last year I sold my ex-interceptor Caprice, an ex Chief's car because it was costing 100 bucks every time I had to re-fuel. Man, I loved that car. Fast and comfy. And a ginormus fuel tank. My Jimmy gets 20mph, I thought that was ok, but geeze.

taJon 04-19-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake (Post 484972)
42 dollahs American to fill my JImmy today. I coulda cried...

thats about half a tank in my truck.

Karl F 04-19-2007 05:32 PM

$49 to fill my 150... you guys must have some huge tanks..

taJon 04-19-2007 07:34 PM

how does 5.12 a gallon sound. Thats what I paid in Lauderdale today...........................for jetA

ProfessorM 04-20-2007 10:33 AM

Looks like I will using the smaller tin boat a lot this year, again.

ThrowingTimber 04-20-2007 03:48 PM

46 n change to fill my 4 cyl tacoma.

As an aside. Does anyone else feel that we should be paying twenty-five cents a gallon for gas with what our guys and gals are doing over there in the sandbox??

Mr. Sandman 04-20-2007 04:13 PM

I pay 90 to fill up the Yukon XL but I don't drive very far so it last a good 6 weeks. The boat is my problem... That is a $400+ bill each fill up.

Raven 04-20-2007 05:26 PM

hopefully

things will change for the better soon.

labrax 04-20-2007 08:02 PM

$40 to get just over a 1/2 tank this evening for an Expedition. That would have filled the VW from fumes, but that car was making up the $$ difference in repair bills....

Yeah, there is no incentive for the companies making historic profits per fiscal quarter to do anything different. We keep buying it, so they will keep the supply at a level where they can get the most for it. It will be $3.30 - $3.50 by the July 4th holiday.

It is irritating to see that the prices go down per barrel and the prices at the pump go up. I am in my late thirties, but it does seem that in the past few years - the price is always going up at the slightest perceived political problem, or excuse. I literally heard that CA was experiencing a fuel issue and a big spike in prices about 1.5 months ago - because a raccoon had gotten in and shorted out their electrical power generation capability and that brought two refineries down for two days, or rather reduced their capabilities for two days. Iran or Korea's nuclear programs, increased demand during warmer months, Mercury in retrograde, etc., etc., etc.

In my naive and unsophisticated perspective it is the commodity markets and investors that are driving this - whatever they can get away with they will - because they can....

eastendlu 04-20-2007 08:20 PM

Labrax your avatar says it all.We be the smallest fish.

GattaFish 04-20-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taJon (Post 485314)
how does 5.12 a gallon sound. Thats what I paid in Lauderdale today...........................for jetA

Try signature in Detroit City... 6.24 a gal for Jet A ,,, that was a while ago,,,,,, Nothing like only getting 2000 gallons,,,,, Love those AMEX points,,,,,

UserRemoved1 04-23-2007 05:02 AM

Interesting article today...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afOlUzd30YOo

$5.00 a gallon by June you watch. %$%$%$%$ERS

Raven 04-23-2007 06:50 AM

there has not been one comment about building any more refineries in this country.... what a joke...

Saltheart 04-23-2007 10:51 AM

I think when we get a new democrat for president , they will lower prices. About 1 year later , The Bush oil gang will be charged with conspiracy for minipulating prices along with tons of oil company big wigs.

Of course i could be wrong. the new pres may also own oil stocks so who knows???? :)

Mike P 04-23-2007 11:27 AM

One of the local stations in town actually went DOWN two cents over the weekend :eek5:

Saw the funniest thing yesterday. We went up to Pawtucket to visit my mom and sister, and on the way we had to make a stop at the CVS on the corner of Newman and Central Aves in Seekonk. While I was waiting for my wife to get what she needed, I noticed that the Hess station across the street had yellow crime scene tape wrapped around the pump islands. Wassup? Robbery? Shooting? Someone accidently crashed a pump resulting in damage and maybe a leak? Nope. They just roped off the pumps in order to raise the price 4 cents :wall: :doh: :hs: As we were leaving, a kid was wrapping up and throwing away the tape, and carrying a ladder out to change the prices on the sign.

I wonder how many $50 sales they sacrificed to people who drove to the Valero station down Newman Ave in order to avoid losing 80 cents each on a couple of fillups :rollem:

UserRemoved1 04-23-2007 01:48 PM

local station went down 1c today also.

Raven 04-23-2007 01:57 PM

yep

the one in Upton did the same...

advertising 5 cents off special

and they went down just a penny

thats wrong.... and illegal :mad: