Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   finally finished a few (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=46403)

Diggin Jiggin 01-22-2008 11:03 PM

finally finished a few

2 Attachment(s)
I've been messing around witha lot of different stuff this winter.

These are my first plugs turned off center. It took me a while to figure out how to get the shape I wanted. Its hard to get them symetrical by hand, took me a loooong time to turn these. I finally figured out that after turning the shape round, just making the same # of passes with the gouge and then once over with the skew on each side on each of the off center axis gets me pretty close to the shape I was after. Very time consuming but I'm not making a lot so thats ok.

These are 6", and right around 2 1/4 oz. I went thru a pile of bodies and atleast 15 -20 different lip shapes & sizes getting them to swim right. These get down around 3' feet deep on a slow steady retrieve in calm water. Can't wait to put em in some moving water next spring when the herring are around.

I've also been messing around with foil finish, I really like the way these came out. Best part for me is less painting. It will be real interesting to see how these hold up.

Diggin Jiggin 01-22-2008 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
View from the top...

NIB 01-23-2008 06:10 AM

Very Nice, U tackled a new plug design and the foil finish in one plug.
The foil looks interesting..

gldnbear93 01-23-2008 07:07 AM

Very nice. That bottom on in the second picture mmmmmm
good job on the foil.

numbskull 01-23-2008 07:15 AM

Don't bring those to plugfest......you'll get mugged. Sounds like you got the action you wanted but I'm curious, did you try dropping the line tie under the nose on any?

Striperknight 01-23-2008 07:27 AM

Nice work.

PNG 01-23-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin (Post 558116)
These are my first plugs turned off center. It took me a while to figure out how to get the shape I wanted. Its hard to get them symetrical by hand, took me a loooong time to turn these. I finally figured out that after turning the shape round, just making the same # of passes with the gouge and then once over with the skew on each side on each of the off center axis gets me pretty close to the shape I was after. Very time consuming but I'm not making a lot so thats ok.

I understand what you went through, very nice job:btu:

Stebs ctrs help ALOT.

On the lips you can try some from CCT unbent. Mikes gonna punch a goo-goo to put in a spoon like shape in it for me - hit him up. Something different.

Diggin Jiggin 01-23-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 558146)
Don't bring those to plugfest......you'll get mugged. Sounds like you got the action you wanted but I'm curious, did you try dropping the line tie under the nose on any?

George I did not try moving the line tie. I was thinking about flattening the forehead and just putting a flat lip on the face of the plug and drilling the line tie thru it but I got it to do what I wanted to before I got to that point...

It's an interesting shape and you can do a lot with it. Very similar to some of the handcarved shapes you guys made last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNG (Post 558249)
I understand what you went through, very nice job:btu:

Stebs ctrs help ALOT.

On the lips you can try some from CCT unbent. Mikes gonna punch a goo-goo to put in a spoon like shape in it for me - hit him up. Something different.

Chris, thanks for the demo last year. I learned a lot. I finally picked up a pair of the psi super centers in november and I've been playing with this stuff ever since. Last time I was in the shop Mike gave me a few unbent ones, but I had trouble getting the right size/shape. I must have held the one of yours thats hanging on the wall there 1/2 a dozen times... I kept changing them on the belt sander and swimming them, but I never got it right. The lexan's real easy for me to work with. One of the tackle mags had a few pages of their lips printed real size, so I just keep tracing different ones, and rough them out on the bandsaw, then shaping them on the sander. Best thing about the lexan is the lip slot I need is the same width as my table saw blade so its easy to cut square slots...

Moses 01-23-2008 06:57 PM

Nice job Dave. We need to catch up. Too much work and not enough play for me lately......

Backbeach Jake 01-23-2008 07:02 PM

Wicked nice, I have to learn that technique, missed it last PlugFest.
Finally you say, I think that they are well worth the wait.

PNG 01-23-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin (Post 558332)
George I did not try moving the line tie. I was thinking about flattening the forehead and just putting a flat lip on the face of the plug and drilling the line tie thru it but I got it to do what I wanted to before I got to that point...

It's an interesting shape and you can do a lot with it. Very similar to some of the handcarved shapes you guys made last year.

Chris, thanks for the demo last year. I learned a lot. I finally picked up a pair of the psi super centers in november and I've been playing with this stuff ever since. Last time I was in the shop Mike gave me a few unbent ones, but I had trouble getting the right size/shape. I must have held the one of yours thats hanging on the wall there 1/2 a dozen times... I kept changing them on the belt sander and swimming them, but I never got it right. The lexan's real easy for me to work with. One of the tackle mags had a few pages of their lips printed real size, so I just keep tracing different ones, and rough them out on the bandsaw, then shaping them on the sander. Best thing about the lexan is the lip slot I need is the same width as my table saw blade so its easy to cut square slots...

Yer welcome, and I just picked up a couple tips from you so thank you.

The flat lip needs modification, its a pia. Im thinking the goo goo will work almost as is.

We should meet at the troll HQ and compare swim our children this weekend

Tagger 01-23-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNG (Post 558360)

We should meet at the troll HQ and compare swim our children this weekend

Saturday ??

Diggin Jiggin 01-23-2008 08:36 PM

BBJ, I 'll see ya at plugfest...

Troll HQ, I like it. Next year I may have to be a troll. I can't seem to catch a fish big enough for team S-B :) I think I'll be down there sat am.

Slipknot 01-23-2008 08:40 PM

Nice stuff dave :btu:

PNG 01-23-2008 09:20 PM

Saturday it is...Oh and you needn't be on any "team" for the trolls.

Talk to Tagger he's the den mother