Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   SUX (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=46603)

Tagger 02-01-2008 01:41 PM

SUX

1 Attachment(s)
Don't buy this .. kinda like an idea that never got finished .. I was wondering how it would work looking at pic ... That handle bends the platform in half .. thats ok .. It says line up metal on the center line of that .. then secure that loose piece of steel (heavy)exactly in the right spot and bend .. Secure ???? with what ??? I guess your suppose to clamp it in place .. Not a problem ,, I got all kinds of clamps .. But not a time saver to say the least .. My flatty vice grips still shine above this hunk of ballast ..

Woodbuster 02-01-2008 01:50 PM

Dont the instructions say " Not to be use on top of washing machines?":D

Tagger 02-01-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodbuster (Post 561246)
Dont the instructions say " Not to be use on top of washing machines?":D

No ... wife says that .. she ain't home .. :btu:

Rockfish9 02-01-2008 03:23 PM

Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one sucked in by interesting looking gadgets.... It's to the point where I like to hold things in my hand before I buy... it looks nice enough in the picture.... thanks for the heads up!

eastendlu 02-01-2008 03:43 PM

Eddie bring that to the plugfest maybe Paul and i can come up with something to make it work better for you.

numbskull 02-01-2008 04:04 PM

Wimp! Be a man and just bend them on your forehead like I do.:musc:

Tagger 02-01-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastendlu (Post 561292)
Eddie bring that to the plugfest maybe Paul and i can come up with something to make it work better for you.

will do ... welcome your superior machinist impute .:musc:

ProfessorM 02-01-2008 05:41 PM

Just wing it:biglaugh:

Oh well someone has to be the guinea pig.
Sorry Ed. I can bend anything you want as far as lips go. You cut them out and shape them and I will bend for you any time you want. Just not over 50 please. Bring that new fangled contraption to plugfest . We may be able to salvage it for you.

Backbeach Jake 02-01-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 561299)
Wimp! Be a man and just bend them on your forehead like I do.:musc:

I just use my toofs...

mikecc 02-01-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 561239)
Don't buy this .. kinda like an idea that never got finished .. I was wondering how it would work looking at pic ... That handle bends the platform in half .. thats ok .. It says line up metal on the center line of that .. then secure that loose piece of steel (heavy)exactly in the right spot and bend .. Secure ???? with what ??? I guess your suppose to clamp it in place .. Not a problem ,, I got all kinds of clamps .. But not a time saver to say the least .. My flatty vice grips still shine above this hunk of ballast ..

Just come by the house I'll bend you all the lips you want.
any type any bend & mix & match to get your own design.:wavey:

PNG 02-01-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecc (Post 561356)

He's getting pretty good at that. Definatly thinking outadabox:kewl:

GO:pats2:S

Tagger 02-01-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecc (Post 561356)

Thanks Mike ... I could stand a lesson on lip bending ... I'd like to see the contraption you use . In another life 20 I use to be a tin knocker working all kinds of brakes,,rollers,shears fabricating in a shop,driving the truck and installing in the field . ... we never made lips . I'm not looking to mass produce ..when I make a big Pichney danny I'd like to put a more authentic clean bent lip on there .

Tagger 02-01-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 561340)
I can bend anything you want as far as lips go. You cut them out and shape them and I will bend for you any time you want. Just not over 50 please.

you guys are making your own lips .. wouldn't do that to you ... appreciate that . Don't want to increase anyones work load .. just need a few pointers .

mikecc 02-01-2008 09:15 PM

Tagger I have all the dies & a numatic press.
Just place the lip blank in the die and hit the levers & done.:lama:

ProfessorM 02-01-2008 09:20 PM

Anytime Ed. Bending takes 2 minutes max. It is all the other crap that takes time. No hassle. Up to you. Check out mikes set up too. I know how you feel, about being self sufficient and not want to bother others. Just shoot down cellar and whip up a few ideas without breaking the bank. If you could pick up a small used finger brake you could have a ball. Kind of like this as I showed you before. It holds the metal for you and then you bend it
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-B...an-Brake/G0556

There used to be a used machinery place sort of across from the large regional Post Office in Brockton. You can see it off of 24. Might be worth a look if it is still there. Has to be some of these, old style, for short money out there. Mike has the right tools but he is production set up. You are looking for a few lips once and a while so getting into it like him is not going to be cheap but hell if he is willing I'd take him up on it.

J_T_R 02-01-2008 11:43 PM

That thing pi$$ed me off too. What I did was clamp everything in place exactly how I wanted it. Then I drilled through the bar and brake on each side with a 1/4" bit. Then threw a bolt, wingnut and lock washer through it. Now all I do is unscrew the wingnut a little bit and slide the lip under it, tighten and bend. It still isn't then best but it does an alright job. I'm thinking of looking into a finger brake, but I'm not sure if it really makes sense to get yet.

Tagger 02-02-2008 07:29 AM

I see Paul ... that finger brake is a 12" bench model .. perfect .. I thought it was a giant machine . Yea JTR .. hinge only allows front to go down flat 180 ... should go down 90 degrees like a normal brake .. ..

ProfessorM 02-02-2008 10:08 AM

Here are a few others to consider.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/616
You can see the clamp set up like JTR fabricated and did to his. Maybe I will have to sit down and think and make a nice little table top lip bender. Something strictly for lips. Nothing fancy. Down and dirty. I think I will put it on my list, #29,846, a long list. I would like one for my own cellar.

NIB 02-02-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tagger (Post 561432)
I'm not looking to mass produce ..when I make a big Pichney danny I'd like to put a more authentic clean bent lip on there .

Authentic???
Pichney's lips aways looked kinda rough. u should be able to handle authentic..
Hey look I have smiley's......
:smash::nopain::hang::bgi:

eastendlu 02-02-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 561517)
Here are a few others to consider.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/616
You can see the clamp set up like JTR fabricated and did to his. Maybe I will have to sit down and think and make a nice little table top lip bender. Something strictly for lips. Nothing fancy. Down and dirty. I think I will put it on my list, #29,846, a long list. I would like one for my own cellar.

:eyes::banano:

ProfessorM 02-02-2008 01:25 PM

:soon:You know exactly what I mean, right Lu, only got 2 hands

eastendlu 02-02-2008 01:29 PM

Yes indeed Paul so much to do so little time its enough to drive you to :cheers2:LOL

NIB 02-02-2008 04:36 PM

Hey Lu save the :cheers2: for the Giants Victory celebration..:bgi:

Backbeach Jake 02-02-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIB (Post 561736)
Hey Lu save the :cheers2: for the Giants Victory celebration..:bgi:

How do I make:bgi:these guys:yak:their beer? Good luck to the Giants, Better luck to us. May the better team get the supermodels.