Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Soaking in oil... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=46732)

BIG TIM 02-06-2008 02:10 PM

Soaking in oil...

O.K. So I bought some plug kits.........

My first hurdle is how to soak em in oil? I plan to use the 60/40 boiled linseed/mineral spirit soak for 20 mins. or so then the long drying time. If I understand correctly its a week or 2... Then prime and paint...

My question is how do I soak them? Wood floats right? :uhoh: So how do I keep them submerged? Will a ziplock bag work (like maranaiting somethin), or, will the oil melt it?

Any and all help is apreciated.

ProfessorM 02-06-2008 02:16 PM

weigh them down with something

Rockfish9 02-06-2008 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What I do is cut short lengths of coat hanger and put a sllght bend in it and insert it into the plug, I then drop in the tup of oil and use another length to hold it under, alowing one end to be higher to clear the air bubbles, once the bubbles clear I alow it to float around, I have a longer section of wire and poke it under a few times...

Once my soak time is over, I hang and let drip dry.... the container in the picture has an air tight cover to seal in odor and keep the spirits from evaporating...

BIG TIM 02-06-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 563139)
MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAVE THE OIL SOAKED RAGS LYING ABOUT AS THEY WILL SELF COMBUST!!! PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THEM!!

Thanks... I learn something new everyday... How should I dispose of them?

VTBasser 02-06-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG TIM (Post 563148)
Thanks... I learn something new everyday... How should I dispose of them?

If your allowed in your area you can burn them outside. If not they should be put in a glass or metal container filled with water with a top on it.

Dr.fish 02-06-2008 04:00 PM

You can just spread the rags out OUTSIDE and let them dry, but do not stuff them into a heap ever again.

Have you ever heard of a mixture of Val oil and Turpentine (50/50)? No combustion problems with this and a MUCH shorter dry time and according to many it seals as good or better than BLO.

BIG TIM 02-06-2008 04:06 PM

I'm sorry but whats Val oil?

adson 02-06-2008 08:35 PM

if you want to use less sealer than needed to fill a tub,

cut a length of pvc pipe and put a cap on it

mount it open end up on a base of scrap wood

fill the tube with sealer and hold the plug under with a short piece of wire

jkswimmer 02-07-2008 01:26 AM

Who said anything about sellin?

thortum 02-07-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& (Post 563224)
If your sellin plugs then you shouldn't be asking other guys to solve ya problems.

Do your homework and it will reward you.

That's a hell of a comment and attitude. If you don't want to give advice, why don't you just keep quiet?

BigFish 02-07-2008 06:13 AM

Wish I had noticed that earlier Scott!

striperondafly 02-07-2008 06:36 AM

:bs: had to try one of the new ones :hihi:

Slipknot 02-07-2008 08:20 AM

OK folks, I just saw this thread and I have read the deleted posts and looked up Big Tim's previous posts and found this one on a thread about plug kits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG TIM (Post 563106)
Heres a guy from Ct. that does great work on finished plugs and he sells kits. Eric is an awesome guy whos great to deal with...

www.walshlures.com

It sounds to me like Tim is a friend of someone named Eric Walsh who has a website that sells plugs. Either that or Tim is posing as a friend and drumming up business.

BigTim, please refer to the user agreement about :sspam:
JohnR runs the site here and the sponsors here pay money to advertise so I don't think having a link in your signature is allowed unless you are a paying sponsor. Please remove it, and if you are just beginning to build plugs and do not intend to sell them, then welcome to the forum. You need to understand this forum gets a lot of plug companies spamming their stuff and it brings the forum down, we don't need it and it is getting out of control.

BIG TIM 02-07-2008 08:51 AM

First off... I ain't a pro... Just a shmuck without a ton of money to spend on finished plugs, lookin to build some plugs, have some fun, catch some fish. I'm NOT here to scam, spam, or rob anybodies money, wife, rod and reel, or, favorite fishin spot.

I'm sorry that I had a link in my sig... Every other site is cool with it, but, if this site is'nt that alright too. In fact its already gone. I know ignorance is not an excuse, but, I did'nt know. Sorry......

I am a little pissed tho that people automaticlly assumed that I was here trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes somehow. Yesturday was my FIRST day on this site and I was stoked. I love to fish and share knowledge. Instead of asking me what I was up too, I was judged and found guilty right off the bat. Put yourself in my shoes I log-on today and I'm gettin slammed and basicly called an a$$%^&* for a link in my sig.... :hang:

I really hope that people read this and don't just assume that I'm here to scam anybody...............

BigFish 02-07-2008 09:58 AM

Easy there BigTim. Welcome to S-B! Takes awhile to know the rules......I think we can excuse anything that may have transpired. No grudge here but many of us are used to seeing folks SPAM so it can be a knee jerk reaction when we think we see it. As I said, welcome aboard and make sure you post some pics of your work.;)

Gunpowder 02-07-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 563375)
Easy there BigTim. Welcome to S-B! Takes awhile to know the rules......I think we can excuse anything that may have transpired. No grudge here but many of us are used to seeing folks SPAM so it can be a knee jerk reaction when we think we see it. As I said, welcome aboard and make sure you post some pics of your work.;)

Nice way of defusing the situation Larry. :agree:

ProfessorM 02-07-2008 12:31 PM

Lawrence the great communicator.

Diamond Tackle 02-07-2008 12:32 PM

How about them Giants ? :pats2::bshake::tooth:

ProfessorM 02-07-2008 12:54 PM

Thats enough lip out of you

striperondafly 02-07-2008 01:38 PM

links in yer sigs - only sites that have no paid advertisers allow that from my experience.

You gotta usnderstand - we see a dude with a commercial plug link asking newbie questions - what do you expect? :)

BIG TIM 02-07-2008 02:09 PM

Its all good... I said my piece and then I went fishin for some some wintering stripers...

BigFish 02-07-2008 02:44 PM

We do allow you to give up your winter "honey hole" if you want?:jester:

So did you get any?:hidin:

BIG TIM 02-07-2008 04:59 PM

No stripes today. The spot I fish is in a river that is tidal. I fished today at high tide and could'nt wade out far enough to get into the channel. It was still good to get out... :)