Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The "SD" Special Needleskin (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=48010)

Flaptail 03-28-2008 03:38 PM

The "SD" Special Needleskin

1 Attachment(s)
Inspired by Stan Daggett who gave to me and showed me how effective a needlefish plug made specifically for a skin can be.

I made the prototype last fall and it really put a hurt on bass everywhere I fished it. It weighs in at 1-1/2 oz but I have made 30z ones (Sauerkraut will test it this season).

It is only right that it be named for Mr. Daggett and I hope he is up there looking down in approval.

Biteme 03-28-2008 04:23 PM

:kewl: He was a great guy. I have one of his originals that is next on the list.

wahlie 03-28-2008 09:54 PM

nice... gotta try that one out.... I take it you have to remove the hooks and cut slits into the eelskin and then re-attach the hooks?

scottw 03-28-2008 10:06 PM

wow, it would be great if everyone would include a diagram with their creations, that's outstanding!

Flaptail 03-29-2008 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahlie (Post 577737)
nice... gotta try that one out.... I take it you have to remove the hooks and cut slits into the eelskin and then re-attach the hooks?

Bingo!

Raven 03-29-2008 08:24 AM

i have often wondered

why...eel-skinned plugs are so effective over a non skinned plug

and what it is about them that triggers fish to strike....

is all about what the bass see.....

or could it be that the lateral line along a bass picks up

that subtle difference of two layers... a soft one on the outside

especially... so it thinks or reacts to the bait more favorably.

any thoughts on this phenomenon? oh and nice diagram Flaptail.

Backbeach Jake 03-29-2008 10:10 AM

Wolf in a sheep's skin theory. Looks like food but isn't. Thanks Flap.

OLD GOAT 03-29-2008 02:57 PM

I fished next to Stan with his skin plug years ago in front of the lights. Needless to say i felt kinda stupid after watching him empty the ocean standing near me.

NIB 03-29-2008 08:03 PM

OK so it looks good.. but the way that plug is set up..with the weights an all.How does it fish??
Does a SKIN tail give u enough pull to get the head of the lure up..

Flaptail 03-30-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NIB (Post 577935)
OK so it looks good.. but the way that plug is set up..with the weights an all.How does it fish??
Does a SKIN tail give u enough pull to get the head of the lure up..

With 3 inches of tail at the end it wobbles ever so slightly side to side and sinks with a tiny degree of head up attitude but it is not( which is different for me, just ask Numbskull) a surface type needle plug. Its meant to cruise just under AND VERY VERY VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Slipknot 03-30-2008 09:18 AM

cool plug

I have one of those capesams gave me, it is just a dowel with weights front and rear, I guess an early model. I'll be getting more creative with my needles this year also. I hope to fish where the fish are too.

Flaptail 03-30-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 578027)
cool plug

I have one of those capesams gave me, it is just a dowel with weights front and rear, I guess an early model. I'll be getting more creative with my needles this year also. I hope to fish where the fish are too.

Hey Bruce, how are you feeling? Better I hope!

Tagger 03-30-2008 11:10 AM

Nice Flap ... I'd like to try one .. Got diameter? ,, don't see it ...

Slipknot 03-30-2008 11:28 AM

Ya Steve, I got over that illness and have been back to work busting butt. no time for trout, no time for holdovers, no time to organize gear, only time for work and family right now. I can't wait for May to get here.