Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Coffee cravings (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=48024)

Finaddict 03-29-2008 12:59 PM

Coffee cravings

So on Wednesday, February 6, I decided to give up coffee - what you might say? .... you gave up coffee? Yes, thought it would be better for my overall health ...

... but fortunately, I did not give up on the benefits of coffee completely - I replaced it with Tea, not as satisfying as coffee, but kind of does the trick ... for me it would be easier to give up tea than coffee ...

... but today, I had the craving for a cup of joe - fantasized about having a good American cup of coffee - any of you guys try to give up this wonderful elixer? Any one give it up and still able to fish and talk normal?

OffTheHook13 03-29-2008 01:07 PM

Last time I went for more than a day without my Java, I enede up with a serious headache.

:spin::spin::spin:

OLD GOAT 03-29-2008 02:41 PM

I gave it up for a while after drinking 40 ,50 cups a day but now i,m down to 2-4 cups in the morning and maybe a cuof tea at night.

tattoobob 03-29-2008 03:05 PM

No I have never tried and probably never will, I have given up a few vices in my life and it's the only one I have left and it's coffee I'm keeping it

Raven 03-29-2008 03:37 PM

yep i have

it was because my blood pressure was up to high

but now i'm on meds for that so i still enjoy my

morning cup or two... but i quit going to

coffee shops like dunken donuts because

their coffee is really speedy strong...it's like

high test premium fuel and i only use it now on long road trips.

My brand is now instant tasters choice and our favorite

creamer is chocolate rasberry. it's Sold at Hannafords.

coffee is very acidic as is....and a chocolate creamer helps neutralize

the the acid... which is why i use to buy a chocolate donut

which i no longer ever buy. Lately coffee has been found to be not

so bad for your health as previously thought.

Slingah 03-29-2008 04:21 PM

I got nothing left to give up.....coffee stays...

Joe 03-29-2008 04:38 PM

Really, frig giving up any more stuff. Might as well move to that uptight town in Footloose.

FishermanTim 03-31-2008 10:23 AM

I haven't given up coffee, but I do enjoy a cup o' joe now and then.
My preference now is a good cup of tea. As "girlie" as it may seem I learned to fully appreciate good tea when I was over in Ireland.
Now I do enjoy a traditional "tea and toast" breakfast every once and a while.

As for the benefits of tea over coffee, sure you miss the caffeine, but its got antioxidents, and is less of a diuretic than coffee, and can also promote regular digestion. (I think it may be because you don't see people gulping down cups of tea, and it's really hard to get a bad cup of tea if you brew it yourself.)

Anyway, that's my $0.02 worth.

OffTheHook13 03-31-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slingah (Post 577891)
I got nothing left to give up.....coffee stays...

Yeh, same here.:lossinit::lossinit::lossinit:

Clogston29 03-31-2008 11:09 AM

coffee has lots of health benefits, one of which is greatly reducing your chances of parkinson's syndrome, according to studies. They just don't recomment more than 6 cups a day. Alot of studies recommend getting at least 3-4 cups a day for overall health. Its similar to alcohol, some is good, too much is bad. Now coffee loaded with cream and sugar is another story, drink it black. Also, if you diet is very poor to begin with, coffee can be have negative effects, like raising blood pressure too much.

The Dad Fisherman 03-31-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD GOAT (Post 577874)
I gave it up for a while after drinking 40 ,50 cups a day but now i,m down to 2-4 cups in the morning and maybe a cuof tea at night.

40-50 cups a day :shocked: you MUST be a Navy man

OffTheHook13 03-31-2008 12:56 PM

:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:Damn, 40-50 cups.

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Is that even possible..:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

The Iceman 6 03-31-2008 01:10 PM

I never tried a cup of coffee in my life, funny thing is I never had the urge to either. Figure I have enough vices. When fishing I'll suck down a red bull or two though.

MrHunters 03-31-2008 01:13 PM

i am a grumpy man if i do not have my morning cups of coffee.
I found this out this weekend.

Helping a buddy move.
The night before I talk to him and ask how he likes his coffee. He says "oh don't worry about it, we'll get coffee and bagels for you guys"

sweet.

Wake up, skip my morning routine of making coffee, toast or whatever and head over. 9:30am.

I walk in 2 half empty cups of coffee, no bagels. and now I have to move chit.

I was a grumpy mover but they bought lunch so that was swell.

still though, there was slight panic in me knowing i was going the morning without coffee. That is when i realized,yep, it has me good....

zacs 03-31-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iceman 6 (Post 578404)
I never tried a cup of coffee in my life, funny thing is I never had the urge to either. Figure I have enough vices. When fishing I'll suck down a red bull or two though.

how is this even possible?

Mr. Sandman 03-31-2008 01:40 PM

Hello i'm Jim and I am addicted to coffee...

I'm a 6 cup a day+ of high test. This is down from a constant "chain-coffee-drinker". I make do with what is available here but miss my Starbucks fix that was across the street from my old office.

I have stopped for a few days once and have felt the pain of withdrawal and the onset of "coffee DTs". If I stopped today I would have a wicked headache by 11:00am. Now, I could take a pain killer to kill the headache but then I would get addicted to them so I figure the coffee addiction is the lesser of two evils.

Look, you live only once. If you can't eat meat, no raw fish, no coffee, no booze, no drugs, and all you are left with is eating celery, rice cakes drinking water with lots of exercise ....you may as well be dead, that is no way to really "live" life and actually enjoy it.

smokefish 03-31-2008 01:51 PM

Coffee contains approximately 90mg of caffiene while tea has approximatel 65mg depending on brew time etc. So drink enough tea and it's no different than the coffee.

Drink about 8 cups of coffee myself every day.

OffTheHook13 03-31-2008 02:16 PM

"We all gotta die sometimes Red"

Who said it?:spin:

Clogston29 03-31-2008 02:51 PM

tom berringer

Raven 03-31-2008 03:01 PM

i like to think of it...

as

you only live once

in the same body...

thortum 03-31-2008 03:57 PM

"Eggs are good for you" - "Eggs are no good for you"; ,+ "Margarine is good + Butter is no good" - "Butter is good + Margarine is no good"; "Red wine is good" + "Red wine is no good"; - "Jogging is good" - "Jogging injures your feet"; "brush your teeth side to side" - "brush your teeth up and down" - "brush your teeth in a circular motion" [that's for you older folks if you still remember]; - "Eat a big breakfast" - "Eat a light breakfast".
I hope that you get my point!!! Do what ever you want to, but in moderation and you'll live as long as I have [110 yrs.]. You may not believe that last sentence, but you can take everything else to the bank. :conf: :conf:

NIB 03-31-2008 05:38 PM

What is a cup.Them lines on the pot..???
I drink a pot in the morning.Says 12 cups..I fit it into 2 of my cups..Then maybe a 20 oz. after lunch and in the cooler months a 20 oz on the ride home from work.Not the same since I quit smoking..
The one seemed to go so well with the other..

spence 03-31-2008 05:56 PM

I love coffee but for some reason don't drink all that much of it, perhaps 1-2 cups a day.

For a while I was into espresso, had a 400 dollar commercial grinder and fancy machine. Beans were always fresh roasted (used 3-7 days from roasting) and not too dark, the proper mix of arabica and robusto.

The neat thing about espresso is the blending of science and art. There are many variables to control. Water quality, water temperature, the coffee, humidity, grind size, tamping pressure etc...

A proper barista will do everything the same every time, only adjusting the grind to compensate for other variables in the system.

The result when everything is perfect is the extraction of all the coffee goodness without the bitterness. It's the essence of the coffee bean in a one ounce cup. The GOD shot...

-spence

Goose 03-31-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

i quit going to

coffee shops like dunken donuts because

their coffee is really speedy strong....
Tell the truth Raven....the reason you no longer buy coffee is that you figured out how to grow coffee beans in the winter.

Clogston29 03-31-2008 06:10 PM

nib, a cup is 6 oz. its the lines on the pot.

Adam_777 03-31-2008 06:13 PM

Coffee helps save the lives of all the stupid people around me !

Slingah 03-31-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thortum (Post 578444)
"Eggs are good for you" - "Eggs are no good for you"; ,+ "Margarine is good + Butter is no good" - "Butter is good + Margarine is no good"; "Red wine is good" + "Red wine is no good"; - "Jogging is good" - "Jogging injures your feet"; "brush your teeth side to side" - "brush your teeth up and down" - "brush your teeth in a circular motion" [that's for you older folks if you still remember]; - "Eat a big breakfast" - "Eat a light breakfast".
I hope that you get my point!!! Do what ever you want to, but in moderation and you'll live as long as I have [110 yrs.]. You may not believe that last sentence, but you can take everything else to the bank. :conf: :conf:

eggsactly...:jester:

stripermagnet 03-31-2008 06:18 PM

get a dunkins ice coffee regular, so much ice and cream probably less than half a cup of actually coffee in there

Raven 03-31-2008 06:25 PM

hahahah i'm not far from it goose

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 578493)
Tell the truth Raven....the reason you no longer buy coffee is that you figured out how to grow coffee beans in the winter.

what the coffee manufacturers don't want us to know is
that true coffee from fresh coffee beans is quite sweet
on it's own with no sugar or sweetners required

but by the time we get our beans up here after they are
roasted and dried ect...they are so bitter that we have to
sweeten it to death
it would take a very large greenhouse to accomplish
that...though goose and it costs 50 k

this is it....heated to 70 degrees year round

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...1/growdome.jpg

thortum 03-31-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 578486)
I love coffee but for some reason don't drink all that much of it, perhaps 1-2 cups a day.

For a while I was into espresso, had a 400 dollar commercial grinder and fancy machine. Beans were always fresh roasted (used 3-7 days from roasting) and not too dark, the proper mix of arabica and robusto.

The neat thing about espresso is the blending of science and art. There are many variables to control. Water quality, water temperature, the coffee, humidity, grind size, tamping pressure etc...

A proper barista will do everything the same every time, only adjusting the grind to compensate for other variables in the system.

The result when everything is perfect is the extraction of all the coffee goodness without the bitterness. It's the essence of the coffee bean in a one ounce cup. The GOD shot...

-spence

You made that sound soooo goooood! When are we all going to be invited over to test it? I'll bring the doughnuts. :grins: