Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   FOIL PLUG (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=48083)

scottw 04-01-2008 07:16 AM

FOIL PLUG

1 Attachment(s)
my eyes always get big when I see the foil finishes posted here, I managed these results with reynolds wrap, marine epoxy and two coats of etex,

Striperknight 04-01-2008 08:56 AM

I like foil but hate the weight it adds and the seems. Looks good.

Jigman 04-01-2008 11:23 AM

Nice foil. You might try using foil candy wrappers (can get them at Michaels and other craft places). Several colors and really thin, so they don't add as much extra weight.

Jigman

numbskull 04-01-2008 12:00 PM

Impressive

scottw 04-01-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigman (Post 578734)
Nice foil. You might try using foil candy wrappers (can get them at Michaels and other craft places). Several colors and really thin, so they don't add as much extra weight.

Jigman

I will get some of thet foil, thanks for the heads up..different colors could be very interesting to play with, I don't know about the weight thing, the single layer foil and epoxy don't even register on my scale, I didn't put anything under the foil, I just rubbed the pattern in and it held when applied over the epoxy then I rubbed the pattern out smooth in the eye area...used low tack tape to keep the mess down and the seams neat...I'd like to find an actual fish scale pattern in relief to copy, that would look nice...PEACE

Jigman 04-01-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottw (Post 578755)
... I don't know about the weight thing, the single layer foil and epoxy don't even register on my scale, I didn't put anything under the foil, I just rubbed the pattern in and it held when applied over the epoxy then I rubbed the pattern out smooth in the eye area...used low tack tape to keep the mess down and the seams neat...I'd like to find an actual fish scale pattern in relief to copy, that would look nice...PEACE

The extra weight is more of an issue on smaller plugs. I do some 1/4 oz freshie plugs that are definitely affected by the extra weight of foil. Gotta watch how much lead I stick in them or the foil and extra layer of epoxy will sink a floater. I prime the plug, and then use a glue stick to hold the foil in place. Smooth out with my thumb nail or pen. You might find a scale pattern at a taxidermy place. I use the handle of a small tool that has a raised pattern on it for gripping. Makes a nice scale like pattern. I'll run this over the plug once the foil is smoothed out.

Jigman

scottw 04-01-2008 07:22 PM

thanks Jigman, I did find in my WASCO taxidermy catalogue some small fish castings that will probably work well...

togue 04-01-2008 07:25 PM

Sweeeet!!!!!!!!:jump1:

GooGoo Man 04-01-2008 08:57 PM

Looking good Scott! Love those foils:btu: