Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Local economy and job market (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=49408)

179 05-27-2008 06:44 PM

Local economy and job market

Hey Folks,
The Wife and I are homesick for RI once again. I wanted some opinions on how the RI, SE. Mass, and Northern Ct is. I see some pretty bad horror stories printed in the Projo about job losses and it makes us nervous about a relocation back home. The south is nice but it sure isn't home.

rwilhelm 05-28-2008 08:52 AM

IMO the Rhode Island economy is in the toilet. But it depends what you do for a job. If it is specialized and in demand you will have a lot less trouble finding something. With gas prices and the housing market in the dumps I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I work in manufacturing which is one of the worst hit sectors.

How is the economy down that way? I am sure it is a little rough right now also?

zacs 05-28-2008 09:30 AM

on the other hand, i believe i read recently that MA has the lowest unemployment in the country....

Adam_777 05-28-2008 10:28 AM

Foxwoods laid off over 400 people in the last week .More on the way...

chief10 05-28-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam_777 (Post 592953)
Foxwoods laid off over 400 people in the last week .More on the way...

WOW that's terrible

MakoMike 05-28-2008 11:41 AM

Even with jobs that are in demand the pay rate sucks. RI and MA pay about 65% of the rates in the rest of New England.

Joe 05-28-2008 12:22 PM

Coming here with no jobs lined up would be a huge mistake.

fishsmith 05-28-2008 03:29 PM

With the fuel prices I heard today that home prices in the burbs will continue to fall, but those close to the city (jobs) will go up.

Without a paycheck lined up, I'd enjoy the lower heating bills down south as long as you can.

Nebe 05-29-2008 11:32 AM

I look at it this way- the local RI economy is aweful. If there is a company in RI that markets nationally or internationally, things are not so bad. There is a reason everyone is selling their houses here.... they are all jumping ship.

Saltheart 05-29-2008 01:43 PM

I live a few hundred yards from the MA boarder. Except for the old "Rhode island Born and Rhode Island Bread" mentality , I see little keeping me from moving just across that boarder at some point. The user fees 9taxation without representation) are getting rediculous here and I know lots of people who are wondering why we should stick around and get pooned because the state can't manage money.

One classic example is that the whole state of RI has about as many schhool children as the city of detroit. Detroit pays one mayor and one school superintendent. RI needs about 40 mayors and superintendents for the same number of students. Whats's wrong with this picture?

Anyway , to the posed question ....RI is gods country , a most beautiful place , but unless you have Gods money , stay away , at least for the next few years.

Raven 05-29-2008 02:47 PM

what kinda work ....?

RIJIMMY 05-29-2008 02:49 PM

not much better in MA. We are losing population faster than any other state.

Most of NE is not looking good. My firm is/was a major player in MA and they are bailing on MA. They can get better people and pay less in other parts of the country. The population is shrinking so why grow here?

RIROCKHOUND 05-29-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 593221)
not much better in MA. We are losing population faster than any other state.

Most of NE is not looking good. My firm is/was a major player in MA and they are bailing on MA. They can get better people and pay less in other parts of the country. The population is shrinking so why grow here?

Really?
are they keeping Smithfield?

Joe 05-29-2008 07:11 PM

If you're doctor or medical researcher, educator, corporate banker, trader working from home, or a road warrior salesperson who's top priority is an easy airport - it's a good place.
If you're a clock-punching nonunion blue collar worker or a mid-level manager - keep going.

spence 05-29-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 593292)
...or a road warrior salesperson who's top priority is an easy airport - it's a good place.

I fit into that catagory...was in 6 different states this week :eek5:

But I'd agree, the local economy means nothing to me personally. If I was working locally I'd want to be in a service industry helping the many rich people all around me better their lives with lush landscapes and fine wood details.

-spence