Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   spainish ceder (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=52448)

stripercrazy 10-14-2008 08:21 PM

spainish ceder

turned a plug yesterday...turned nice but different maybe harder but dry...seems to be same weight as ayc..just wondering what you guys think about it? the grains remind me of mahogany...I got it off l'slugo at the plug thing saterday...:kewl:

saltyric 10-15-2008 06:23 AM

Turns nice, but the dust is nasty!

The Dad Fisherman 10-15-2008 06:59 AM

Smells the Nuts when turning it.......

Slipknot 10-15-2008 07:10 AM

It is more of a mahogany than a cedar

sometimes I'll find a board of it that is half the weight of the others and I put it aside for plugs. The heavier stuff is good for needles. The only thing is the open grain pores are noticible, they can be filled but the fish won't care.

stripercrazy 10-15-2008 10:35 AM

thanks everyone

I sealed it yesterday...poked around on the net, I guess it is a mahogany...I'll turn the rest outside:cheers:hopely I'll fish it this weekend and see how it floats as a surface swimer...after I cut everything up I got a milkcrate full some 3x3 for big pikies...if it floats like ayc I'm all set...thanks ed

Pete F. 10-15-2008 11:57 AM

If I was looking to buy a wood that was equal in density and workability to AYC, I would try Ponderosa Pine. But spanish cedar works fine. At least some species that are called that.

saltyric 10-15-2008 11:58 AM

I really like sugar pine, but the stuff is insanely expensive!

ProfessorM 10-15-2008 12:45 PM

Sugar pine is real nice. I have quite a bit but I just can't use it as it is getting harder to find and tres expensive. This stuff is probably at least 30 years old.

BasicPatrick 10-15-2008 03:23 PM

Hey guys...my other love is seeegarrs and beleive it or not my cigar collection rivals my plug collection.

Most wood called "spanish cedar" sold in the US is actually "honduran mahogany". True "spanish cedar" trees are protected. The reason the retailers can sell under the "spanish cedar" moniker is that the two trees are genetically the same, just grown in different climates/geographical locations.

Be careful of the dust when turning...it can get you very very sick.

saltydog 10-15-2008 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BasicPatrick, I always have one while fishin, Im taking 6 w/me to the vineyard friday.
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:smokin:

nightfighter 10-15-2008 05:51 PM

I get Spanish cedar sills when I do exterior sill replacements or a dutchman repair. So I have some cutoffs saved. The dust is nasty, almost a silica that is so fine it stays airborne a long time, so wear a mask! It does smell like the humador wood.

As for sugar pine, check out the old yard sale chairs at the end of the day, and the dump or swap sheds...... Some nice wood in those old pieces/

Fishpart 10-17-2008 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
White Pine anyone?

saltyric 10-17-2008 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about AYC AND Spanish Cedar?

ElSluggo 10-18-2008 10:27 PM

Spanish Cedar

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripercrazy (Post 628801)
turned a plug yesterday...turned nice but different maybe harder but dry...seems to be same weight as ayc..just wondering what you guys think about it? the grains remind me of mahogany...I got it off l'slugo at the plug thing saterday...:kewl:

Stripercrazy it was me you got the Spanish Cedar from as others mentioned some pieces are denser than others and you may want to be selective in regards to which piece you use depending what you want for plug weight.

stripercrazy 10-19-2008 06:52 AM

thanks again

please pm me your address so I can send ya some stuff:hee:

surfflyfish 10-19-2008 02:09 PM

i got some too from the plug bash. and turned nice and is good with the duplicator too. i love it.