Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   attention gardeners (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=56600)

american spirit 04-14-2009 06:54 PM

attention gardeners

all right any vege garden people here.

i really don't have a warm sunny area to start seeds indoors this year. i usually have luck with beans and cucumber started outside mid may.

any thing else you can start outside. or other tips for starting seeds inside. it sucks to have to pay 20 bucks for a tomato plant at the local farm.

nightfighter 04-14-2009 07:03 PM

Scott,

Build a cold frame, outside. Use old window sashes, with glass intact. Acts like a terrarium, good to start stuff in. Even better in a raised bed. I'll let you know if I come across some windows at the transfer station. Check the local dump, look for local window jobs being done. Stop and ask if you can have them.

justplugit 04-14-2009 07:06 PM

In Ground-

Now-spinach, peas, carrots, swiss chard, asparagus.

Later-squash, cucumber,potatoes( need a lot of room unless you grow them under straw) Corn-needs a lot of room with at least 4 rows for pollenation.

ProfessorM 04-15-2009 08:54 AM

a heat mat and a fluorescent light will pay for it self in a year or two and you can grow the good tasting veggies which most places don't carry. Heat mat is the key IMO for good germination. I am way behind this year but will start them this weekend anyway.

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/6989/

PaulS 04-15-2009 09:04 AM

Don't forget now is the time to plant lettuce, cabbage, etc.

Jenn 04-15-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_shocker (Post 681673)
. it sucks to have to pay 20 bucks for a tomato plant at the local farm.

Wha???! no no no.....if your gonna buy...buy the 6 packs for a couple bucks. once they take off they take off. doesnt seem to matter how big the plant was when I put them in they all fruit about the same time anyway.

justplugit 04-15-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn (Post 681906)
Wha???! no no no.....if your gonna buy...buy the 6 packs for a couple bucks. once they take off they take off. doesnt seem to matter how big the plant was when I put them in they all fruit about the same time anyway.

Jenn, if you want them to mature throughout the growing season get 3 different varieties.
ex. Jetstar early, Ramapo mid season, Beefsteak late season.

Varieties will differ according to region but a good garden center will carry 3 similar varieties to the ones listed.

Raven 04-15-2009 07:34 PM

shocker

just clone your tomatoes

the side shoots that grow in the crotch of branches

can be cut and rooted....you need to find a source of

vermiculite which is just mica popped like popcorn

this holds moisture like nothing else

you dip the cutting into the root powder then
make a hole with a pencil with eraser end
and slide the cutting in the flat
of vermiculite pre soaked in water.

you cover these with more plastic like a tent
so it has plenty of moisture til rooted
much faster than planting seeds...
and you gain almost a month in grow time

Raven 04-15-2009 07:35 PM

so..........

what kind of soil do you have? red clay? or what?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6.../broccolli.jpg

justplugit 04-15-2009 08:34 PM

How could i forget Brock o Lee. :huh: :D

gone fishin 04-15-2009 08:35 PM

I use three flourescant lights and 2 - 4 ft. shelves. I suspend the lights under the shelves plus a single set of lights above the top shelf. This enables us to plant 4 flats per shelf = 12 flats. The lights are on a timer and are on for 8 hours per day. Lights are started about 6" above flats and raised as the plants grow. The area used is in a heated room and germination is very fast. Some plants go from flats to small pots and are transfered to outside unheated greenhouse (with plenty of drafts) in about 7 to 8 weeks. Some are left in the flats and go directly in the garden. Those in pots are hardened off and planted in garden. All end up being planted about May 15th. - 30th.

Been doing this with vegies as well as flowers with good results.

The flats have to be watered daily as they will dry out easily and croak.

Between potting stuff, seeds, soil, electricity and labor the savings are not that much, but the satisfaction overcomes the expense.

(Most Seeds are harvested from crop to crop):gh:

Raven 04-15-2009 08:53 PM

That was

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplugit (Post 681962)
How could i forget Brock o Lee. :huh: :D

the biggest head......:btu:

american spirit 04-16-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strike_King (Post 682052)
Where is that? Mahoney's doesn't even charge that much.I'm sure Grigg's Farm doesn't either..

last year i bought a beefsteak tomato plant that was already about 24 inches high for 18 bucks. it was at griggs.

looks like i'm more of a novice compared to some of you. sounds like some of you could grow some serious chiba. thanks for all the input. we'll see how things go this season.

Swimmer 04-16-2009 10:50 AM

Old storm doors with the long hinges work great. With regular storm windows you still have to add hinges, not so with the doors. I have two grow boxes I use for the pumpkin plants made with storm doors.

nightfighter 04-16-2009 03:30 PM

I am going to try one of those Topsy-Turvey gizmos for growing the tomatoes upside down.

cheferson 04-16-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 682163)
I am going to try one of those Topsy-Turvey gizmos for growing the tomatoes upside down.

Save your money and make one out of a bucket

gldnbear93 04-20-2009 11:47 AM

I have 25 tomato and 6 pepper varieties sprouting in flats now. Will transplanting to newspaper pots this week then in mid may harden off and into the ground. Like the professor, I use flourenscent lamps (one regular and one grow lamp) and heat mats. The flo lamps are just shop lights ($10 plus the bulbs). Peas are in the ground now and sprouting, lettuce and spinach too. Will be planting cucumbers, cantalopes, and probably something else come May.

H depot had veggie and herb seedlings BOGO yesterday (4" peat pots) so I picked up some sage, basil, mint, stevia, parsley and cilantro. They will go into containers.

I use soakers hoses and a drip system on a timer once everything is moved outside so I don't have to worry about the watering.

nightfighter 04-20-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheferson (Post 682167)
Save your money and make one out of a bucket

I hear you...but ordered one for Mom, and it was a two for one deal!

redneck24 04-20-2009 06:23 PM

right now i have carrots, beans, and peas in the ground now. i will wait until around mothers day for the rest.

BW from AZ 04-21-2009 06:23 PM

az gardening

got about one third of our garden in and up. corn 6", peas 4", beans 4", cucumbers, squashes, cantalope, onions, and tomatoes doing good. gotta hurry before they burn off in the summer heat...

justplugit 04-21-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BW from AZ (Post 683262)
got about one third of our garden in and up. corn 6", peas 4", beans 4", cucumbers, squashes, cantalope, onions, and tomatoes doing good. gotta hurry before they burn off in the summer heat...

Rub it in BW. :D :wavey:

ProfessorM 04-24-2009 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
oh boy, any day now. If you haven't put these in yet get going as nutin better than home grown. The store bought isn't even in the ball park. They will produce longer than you will live probably, with minimal care once established.

Tagger 04-24-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 681758)
a heat mat and a fluorescent light will pay for it self in a year or two [/url]

How fast it pays for itself depends on what your growing ..

Tagger 04-24-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorM (Post 683837)
oh boy, any day now. If you haven't put these in yet get going as nutin better than home grown. The store bought isn't even in the ball park. They will produce longer than you will live probably, with minimal care once established.

Is that asparagus ? :musc:

ProfessorM 04-24-2009 05:33 PM

Veggies Eddie, those days are long gone for me. Ask any vegetable and the chances are they will respond :uhuh:

Yes it is Ed. I ate one today, because i tripped over it. Soooooo gooood.

Jenn 04-25-2009 07:36 AM

Professor M.....you have my mouth watering! There is nothing better than home grown asspagrass.......