Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Molds for Lead Pouring (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=61669)

Eric Roach 01-20-2010 08:57 AM

Molds for Lead Pouring

Has anyone tried plaster-of-Paris for lead molds?

eastendlu 01-20-2010 10:40 AM

They work but won't last long.

Eric Roach 01-20-2010 11:05 AM

Hardwood last longer? Sounds like both might burn back until the diameters are off.

What's recommended? A blank Do-It mold that you have machined?

Goose 01-20-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastendlu (Post 740705)
They work but won't last long.

Will they last one long session of pouring??...say like 15lbs. Or do you mean long term??..years of pouring

eastendlu 01-20-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Roach (Post 740711)
Hardwood last longer? Sounds like both might burn back until the diameters are off.

What's recommended? A blank Do-It mold that you have machined?

Yes that is what i would recommend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goose (Post 740714)
Will they last one long session of pouring??...say like 15lbs. Or do you mean long term??..years of pouring

Also yes they won't last to many pours the heat will break it down.If you want years of use out of the same mold go with aluminum.

Mr. Sandman 01-20-2010 11:26 AM

I recommend buying a completed Aluminum mold. If you have something unique and want to make a few just for yourself, as others have said you can make a plaster mold, but they kinda suck.. You can have made a vulcanized rubber mold, and you could get as many as 100 pours out of that. You can buy the rubber and make your own mold but there is a guy out there that made me a very nice mold out of this for a VERY VERY reasonable price and I have used it for years. Further the rubber he uses is different than you can find online. I found an ad for his services in a fishing magazine and I wrote him. I don't have the contact anymore.

Blank AL molds require someone that can machine it properly, I would not try this myself unless you have done it before. (its a one shot deal)

Pete F. 01-20-2010 02:56 PM

Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money. After a year or two if you find that they die too quickly and have some standard weights that you use a lot of invest in a aluminum mold.
I have not yet found it worthwhile to do aluminum.

eastendlu 01-20-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete F. (Post 740817)
Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money. After a year or two if you find that they die too quickly and have some standard weights that you use a lot of invest in a aluminum mold.

But when you do you know a machinist or two.:uhuh::buds:

Nebe 01-20-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

cherry is much better for this. You'd be surprised what a beating cherry can take when in contact with hot stuff...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Pete F. 01-20-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 740828)
cherry is much better for this. You'd be surprised what a beating cherry can take when in contact with hot stuff...

I'll try cherry next time, is this some old time glassblowing information?

Nebe 01-20-2010 05:46 PM

Yes it is... Apple runs a close second.

jeffthechef 01-20-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Since you are just starting I'd make molds out of maple, two pieces and bore the holes in between. You can make all sorts of sizes for short money.

i did this my first time out, last month, I used maple, but only one piece, not 2 joined. the weights knocked out onto floor w/ a little help.... crude but effective. drilled holes, by guess-timate, for different sized bellys. (they weighed out to be 2gm thru 14gm.) borrowed buddy's melting pot, got out my old lead fishing weights and poured away for a day! very happy with results and the plugs swim beautifully!

gone fishin 01-20-2010 09:00 PM

Eric - Plaster of Paris fatigues quickly. I use bondo and if you don't push the pouring you can get good results. Be sure to soot up the mold before pouring. Not good for mass producing tins. If you are going to do lots, a do-it blank and custom machining is the way to go.

Eric Roach 01-20-2010 09:43 PM

Thanks, gents' -- all good information. I'll start with some cherry.