Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Muzik (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Archive.org live music downloads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=63035)

Back Beach 03-29-2010 03:31 PM

Archive.org live music downloads

Anyone here download or listen to the stuff on here? I'm listening to a bunch of old Grateful Dead shows right now. I had crappy, hissy old recordings of many of these shows years ago and must say I'm blown away by the quality stuff on here. Got the matrix remix of Cornell '77 playing right now and its completely insane compared to the original I had. Well worth a look if you're into old GD recordings and the like. I might have to start :smokin: again.

chrisjoe13 03-29-2010 06:16 PM

Its unbelievable how complete their collection is. I've been amassing a huge amount of shows for fear that the site is going to change or disappear. I guess you used to be able to download soundboards (stream only now) but someone (Bobby W.) put a stop to it. If you like Dylan, check out the rehearsals that took place at the Dead's studio in June 1987. The only place I've come across this material is on the Archive. Really good stuff, the studio record they released at that time is horrible (or boring at best).

Pete_G 03-30-2010 03:08 PM

It really is incredible what is stashed on that website.

I've been fortunate all my life to have access to really good quality GD (my uncle was recording direct from the soundboard at a lot of shows in the late 70's) but modern technology really brings back what time had slowly taken away from the original recordings.

BIG TIM 03-31-2010 05:09 PM

WOW... Thanks for posting up an awesome site! There's some bands there that I haven't heard in years! There's also some shows I was at back in the day, which is pretty cool too!

chrisjoe13 04-17-2010 08:34 AM

Check out the "So Many Roads" from 9-28-93 at the Boston Garden. Soul brotha Jerry! It is imperative that the last 2 minutes are played very loud.

HighTide 04-21-2010 09:28 AM

Also if you go to deadlists.com you can find a specific show/ date/venue and it links up with archive.org

Back Beach 04-30-2010 09:50 AM

The Ryan Adams stuff is very good too as the band allowed taping at all their shows. Pretty cool transformation he made between 2004 and 2009 if you listen to the shows...kind of raw and bratty early on, then real tight and pretty powerful towards 2007-2009. Well worth checking out.

RIJIMMY 04-30-2010 10:32 AM

its amazing how the Grateful dead sounded so awful in the studio, the only thing worse is when they played live

:devil2: couldnt resist, I hate the Dead. We'll maybe I like 2 or 3 songs.

Back Beach 04-30-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 765425)
its amazing how the Grateful dead sounded so awful in the studio, the only thing worse is when they played live

:devil2: couldnt resist, I hate the Dead. We'll maybe I like 2 or 3 songs.

There's a funny dead head joke that goes someting like "What's this %$%$%$%$ we're listening to?"

The joke was that the guy who said it had just quit doing drugs or the like and it was the first time he'd heard them sober.