Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Sports Talk - Title Town (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Baseball Question (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=66626)

mosholu 10-09-2010 12:49 AM

Baseball Question

The heavy necklaces you see on many players, are they just for looks or do they have some other purpose? Thx.

Backbeach Jake 10-09-2010 05:50 AM

It makes them feel cool and good about themselves. I've never grasped the concept of jewelry myself, especially during work and sports.

PRBuzz 10-09-2010 06:23 AM

It is to remind all the fans that it is your money than I'm able to flaunt with expensive toys.

spence 10-09-2010 08:19 AM

It's to balance the tin of chew in their back pocket. Without, they'd tip right over.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman 10-09-2010 08:22 AM

If you are talking about the ones like you see Okajima wearing...those are Phiten necklaces. supposed to help w/ blood circulation and well being (not that I buy it).....they're made of titanium

fishbones 10-09-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 800997)
It's to balance the tin of chew in their back pocket. Without, they'd tip right over.

-spence

Chew comes in bags. Dip or snuff comes in tins. Most players don't keep tins in their pockets because it would either hurt or they'd crush it when they slide. They keep all that stuff in the dugout.

As a side note, Tim Raines only slid head first because he kept small vials of coke in his back pocket back when he was with the Expos.

mosholu 10-09-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 801000)
If you are talking about the ones like you see Okajima wearing...those are Phiten necklaces. supposed to help w/ blood circulation and well being (not that I buy it).....they're made of titanium

Thx for the explanation that is exactly what I was wondering. I guess if you think it is doing something for you it might help.

stcroixman 10-09-2010 03:55 PM

just another baseball player fad. When I was a kid every payer kept his index finger outside of the finger area. Then they started making gloves with the finger hole.

only in baseball, although I like to see high socks and hate the low cut pants in style now.

mosholu 10-09-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stcroixman (Post 801121)
just another baseball player fad. When I was a kid every payer kept his index finger outside of the finger area. Then they started making gloves with the finger hole.

only in baseball, although I like to see high socks and hate the low cut pants in style now.

I agree. I always thought it was inconsistent that the Yankees had such tight rules regarding facial hair and hair length but yet everyone was free to wear their trousers pants the length they want.

The Dad Fisherman 10-22-2010 05:21 AM

Here's a yahoo write up about them in the news today...

What's with the thicker necklaces being worn this postseason? - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

mosholu 10-23-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman (Post 804395)

Thanks for that. I guess for 50 dollars I would try it out.