Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Copper Patina Danny (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=67874)

chefchris401 12-10-2010 10:06 PM

Copper Patina Danny

3 Attachment(s)
heres a few pics of a new color scheme i did last week and epoxied.

Its a 3 stage at home patina kit from the large craft store, so you can paint things to look like they are old copper. real easy to do, its just sponge paint, next time Ill play around with the colors more, but happy with these results.

Ive always done well on copper colored plugs and green of course. So figured Id try this out seeing its both colors.

The plug is a salties body with a larger belly slug and pikie 3 lip, gives it a nice wide surface action, I did really well on a plug of the same design.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

saltydog 12-11-2010 07:36 AM

chefchris401, I got to THANK YOU for posting this, being a Rattle Can guy finding NEW ways to paint is GREAT. WILL be making a ROADTRIP to locate some.
GOOD LUCK HAPPY HOLIDAYS:cheers:

Ryan560 12-11-2010 08:20 AM

that looks sick! looks like someone put a pikie 3 lip on a old copper pipe:uhuh:

chefchris401 12-11-2010 08:59 AM

Saltydog, your welcome, they have a few other kits that do similar stuff, they are cheap too, and a little paint goes a long way.

You'll get better results with one of those crafting sponges with the open pores, I used a regular dish sponge.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JMAC_kerel 12-13-2010 12:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nice effect!

I experimented with something similar a while back using old metallic powders I had sitting around. I applied some after the paint and epoxied over it. Any that was exposed to the salt water turned an interesting patina green. (You can see a tiny bit in the first pic)

I may try some more experiments this Winter with them.

chefchris401 12-13-2010 01:04 PM

That's great stuff right there, there's so many options with out airbrushing.

Really creative.

saltydog 12-13-2010 05:45 PM

chefchris401, have you tried SPLATTER PAINT in cans picked some up at a discount shop $1.50 can I did some up last season. if I can find the old pics Ill repost, you may be able to search them out.
GOOD LUCK HAPPY :uhuh:

chefchris401 12-13-2010 07:40 PM

No I haven't, I did see some the other day, also i saw some paint called webbing, think it was a valspar product looked cool, 8 bucks a can.

BIG TIM 12-14-2010 12:06 PM

WOW!!! Really cool stuff... Gonna have to give it a try!

Jackbass 12-15-2010 09:56 AM

That looks awesome Chris. Very nice!