Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Making a shop tool for installing cut trebles (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=68216)

blondterror 12-29-2010 09:02 AM

Making a shop tool for installing cut trebles

In the A40 youtube video that shows building this great lure from start to finish they show a handheld gripper tool with 3 slots to hold a cut treble hook for twisting open the cut position and inserting the swivel eye.

Has anyone made one and can they share any pearls of wisdom... i would probably venture that the 3 "fingers" should be made of a dense hardwood... maple would be my choice and they should be fabricated so they can be attached with tape or a ferrule band to a handle

If anyone can post a few pics of their versions it would be very helpful

thanks- chris

here is the link to the video I am referring to... plenty of good jigs & techniques shown here

YouTube - Building a Lordship A40 fishing lure

PRBuzz 12-29-2010 09:18 AM

It is hard to see what/how the treble jig is actually working due to the camera angle.

See, I knew all you plug builders were over exaggerating the amount of time/effort into building a plug: from start to finish 4 min 45 sec direct time!:biglaugh:

That's one big cutting blade in the lath, a single pass to bring it down to shape!

O.D. Mike 12-29-2010 09:47 AM

It's interesting to see how other people turn and finish their plugs!

Look up "Building a Lordship A40 fishing lure" on youtube.

chefchris401 12-29-2010 10:05 AM

I know Gary from grs uses a jig he made to cut trebles. It's a wood block w three slots. I think the video was on surfcasters journal, not 100 percent though.

It shows him cutting and installing trebles super fast at a show. Was really cool to see.

Sorry I can't be more help Chris. I use the vice grip method as I don't do that many.

Chef
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ProfessorM 12-29-2010 10:39 AM

I have always found a pair of round nose pliers to stick in hole and twist open after cut and then closed to be pretty effective.

JFigliuolo 12-29-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 (Post 822269)
I know Gary from grs uses a jig he made to cut trebles. It's a wood block w three slots. I think the video was on surfcasters journal, not 100 percent though.

It shows him cutting and installing trebles super fast at a show. Was really cool to see.

Sorry I can't be more help Chris. I use the vice grip method as I don't do that many.

Chef

The beauty of Gary's technique is he barely bends the eye, it's alot more flex than deformation.

Charleston 12-29-2010 11:18 AM

If any plug builder I know can design fixtures, it's Ron at Lordship Lures. Nice job Ron.

PRBuzz 12-31-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRBuzz (Post 822256)
See, I knew all you plug builders were over exaggerating the amount of time/effort into building a plug: from start to finish 4 min 45 sec direct time!:biglaugh:

Sorry plug builders, constructing a fine piece of plug art is obviously much more time consuming than constructing a jet liner, the plug took 4'45" and the entire Boeing only 2'31.

YouTube - Southwest Airlines The Making of Florida One

chefchris401 12-31-2010 12:23 PM

Check the lordship site, he shows the tool and method he uses, real simple and effective

BigFish 12-31-2010 02:09 PM

I am a split ring guy! Wouldn't catch me dead with cut hooks on my plugs! TEHO I guess!:uhuh:

blondterror 12-31-2010 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had to make one of these treble hook twister tools... Turned a piece of leftover cherry from my brothers house in VT.... machined 3 slots at 120 degree angles from each other using my Dremel tool and a cutting drill bit.... made pre-slot with thin kerf hand saw. Burned grip rings with drawn wire after making thin slots with tip of skew

Works like a charm...

ProfessorM 12-31-2010 07:14 PM

darn now I got to make one of those darn things.

I am an anti split ring guy.:bshake:

Chris in Mass 12-31-2010 09:27 PM

Can't Salty crank out like a 1000 before the Worcester show in Feb...

chrisjoe13 01-01-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondterror (Post 823093)
I had to make one of these treble hook twister tools...... machined 3 slots at 120 degree angles from each other using my Dremel tool and a cutting drill bit...

Works like a charm...

Used the same tools to make mine and it works great.

seabuggy 01-01-2011 07:48 PM

This video is fascinating. I like the jigs they use. If I could bend wire like that, I would buy it from McMaster Carr instead of already preformed, and bend it myself. I do prefer VMC hooks and split rings. All others I've tried will straighten out on fish and are never as sharp.