Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   My Jig for Canal Specials (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=70405)

blondterror 04-12-2011 06:31 AM

My Jig for Canal Specials

3 Attachment(s)
earlier this building season there was a thread on jigs for cutting the bottoms on canal specials.. Mike at M&Ds has a nice one that is set up for his std sized canal special.

I modified a jig I made for cutting tapered legs on Shaker furniture by adding a hold down clamp that is removable.

here are some pics.... you need to sight line the piece with the proper marks on the blank but it is safe and easy to use if you know how to use a table saw.

here are 3 pics that show it...

wrikerjr 04-12-2011 07:33 AM

nice jig. Nothing gets my bllod flowing like a good woodworking jig. Good job.

BigFish 04-12-2011 08:49 AM

When I turn my plugs I leave the flat ends on so when I do my drilling and lip slot cutting etc. all my jigs are on the flat, more stable and easier to use! Also more consistent in the end! Nice jig! Mine is similar except I have a simple "angle" right on the face of the jig which holds the piece in place! Can post pics later if you want?

fishnlaxli 04-12-2011 12:44 PM

Bigfish,

Would love to see the pic! Like wriker said above, nothing is better than a good jig!

Thanks

ProfessorM 04-12-2011 01:50 PM

nice jig. Luv jigs but I find this plug is very easily done by just sanding on a belt sander to lines put on during turning and then doing holes using flat as your reference. I also don't leave square ends on my plugs. Not saying your way is not right just giving my 2 cents. In the end both give same results.

BigFish 04-12-2011 02:04 PM

Try doing 200 that way Paul! Simple jig setup on the table saw to run in the slot makes short accurate work of 10 or 200 bodies!:uhuh:

mikecc 04-12-2011 04:19 PM

here is video of one I did a while back

Videos Posted by Cape Cod Tackle | Facebook

O.D. Mike 04-12-2011 05:03 PM

Thanks for sharing Chris! Like the detailed pictures also!!!!

nightfighter 02-23-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 850934)
When I turn my plugs I leave the flat ends on so when I do my drilling and lip slot cutting etc. all my jigs are on the flat, more stable and easier to use! Also more consistent in the end! Nice jig! Mine is similar except I have a simple "angle" right on the face of the jig which holds the piece in place! Can post pics later if you want?

Still would like to see your set up, Larry....:uhuh:

iamskippy 02-23-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecc (Post 851015)
here is video of one I did a while back

Videos Posted by Cape Cod Tackle | Facebook

Very Nice Mike, i know you had showed Mojo, and we made something similar a few weeks back good stuff! I like the idea of the shim and the different lengths you can do on yours just locking it in with an aluminum rod is Brilliant and simple.

Fishoholic 02-23-2013 01:28 PM

belt sander is more fun :D but I'm not making 200... more like 20