Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is a 1.5 ton jack enough? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=71008)

Saltheart 05-12-2011 12:10 PM

Is a 1.5 ton jack enough?

Harbor freight has a 1.5 ton floor Jack on sale now . It seems like 1.5 ton should be enough as you usually only lift 1/4 of the vehicle at a time then lower that quarter onto the jack stands and then jack the other side.

Anyway , i had a 2 ton for about 30 years and it was plenty strong enough , it just got so rusty I decided I couldn't trust it any longer.

If the next size or two up was close in price i would buy the extra capacity but the price jumps way up for a 2 ton.

Any opinions. Oh , I have an altima hybrid and a 2002 Chevy S10 Blazer

Fishpart 05-12-2011 12:17 PM

I think 1 1/2 should be enough. 3000# and then add in the 7x safety factor should be plenty....Blazer weighs what 4K total?

tysdad115 05-12-2011 12:54 PM

1.5 will work for you. Just make sure you have quality jack stands.

Saltheart 05-12-2011 02:53 PM

Yes , Blazer is 4300 to 4800. I have 3 ton heavy duty jack stands.

Raven 05-12-2011 03:05 PM

if your jacking up on a perfectly level surface, yes

but i had one under a ford van and it got easily smooshed
into junk as the shifting van twisted it with ease...

i would get something bigger than you need
if it was me... just my .o2 cents

mikecc 05-12-2011 05:53 PM

Mike every week i get a 20% off any single item at HF. I deleted it this week but here is one for $9.99 flat rate shipping.

Harbor Freight Tools

milo 05-13-2011 07:33 AM

It should be ok,just make sure the wheels can move(pointing in the right direction so they can roll)as you start to lift it....do 1 wheel at at time ....I bought cheap one for 15 bucks I think and lifts my van no prob...

Saltheart 05-14-2011 01:12 PM

Thanks for the coupon Mike.

They have this Jack on sale ofr $69. Its normally $129. The exact jack in the 2 ton capacity is $179 on sale , its $219 normally. So anyway , I am not spending another $110 to get the extra 1/2 ton. If I were still doing car mechanic work professionally like I did in the mid 80's ("At Home Auto" in Hamden Ct. :) ) , I'd spend the money for a really hefty one but for occasionally changing my oil or brakes , I think this jack with the jackstands I have should be fine. It does have wheels and it has a surprisingly wide lft range. i need the low end just to get it under the Altima hybrid but I also need to get the high framed blazer off the ground too.

Besides , the Jack is a pretty blue color! :)

striperman36 05-14-2011 02:23 PM

I have the floor jack from HBF, I like it it was on sale for 25 bucks.

Best buy yet.

Saltheart 05-15-2011 01:33 PM

Yep , they have all different designs and prices. I'm not looking for an occasional use quality level one even though I will only be accasionally using it. The ones I am interested in are for use by guys who do race cars at tracks or maybe like a repair shop might have in their tow truck. There are no sheet metal or welded parts.

" Constructed for professional race teams out of precision-machined, high strength, aircraft aluminum billet".

Anyway , I am tempted to go the extra $30 for the lower grade 3 ton steel model but that one is welded sheet metal etc and it weighs 73.5 pounds!! The machined aluminum one is only 29.5 pounds. I can still pick up 30 pounds easily but 80 pounds is getting a little heavy these days.

Redsoxticket 05-15-2011 02:01 PM

I have a 3.5 ton all steel jack with jacks by craftsman. It was on sale years ago at a low price but now discontinued.
The craftsman members get a percentage off sale items and it doesn't cost to join.
I looked online and there is a 3 ton all steel on sale for 67 from 99
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Redsoxticket 05-15-2011 02:13 PM

Don't worry about the weight because the jack has wheels. I suppose weight is a concern for really old people.

Saltheart 05-15-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 858590)
I suppose weight is a concern for really old people.

Oh God , a stake right through my heart! :)

Thanks for the heads up on the craftsman , I'll look at that one too.

Yes , they all have wheels but i have no garage so after I'm done with it I have to carry it somewhere to put it away sometimes down the cellar stairs.

Saltheart 05-15-2011 04:50 PM

Harbor Freight loor jack is a little gem!

I am also a Craftsman Club member so went to sears to check out their 3 Ton Jack. I then went to harbor freight (I'm lucky , I have both a sears and a harbor freight within 5 minutes of my house) to look at the jack they had. No comparison in quality. The Jack at harbor freight is a little gem. It really is all machined from solid aluminum stock. its an exact 3/4 scale replica of its big brothers who's prices sky rocket. Anyway , I'm thrilled with the thing. In the store its 129 but marked down to $99. I'm an "Insiders Club" member there so I get some extra coupons and one lowered it to $69. Its a beauty too. And at 30 pounds I'll probably just stick it into the back of the Blazer when not in use.