Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Coincidence? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=78915)

RIJIMMY 08-23-2012 12:48 PM

Coincidence?

Take a look at the top 25 counties in the US for job growth..

Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine

Anyone want to guess at the common element?
Most are republican controlled "red" states. Coincidence?
I dont think so. Smart, educated, skilled people are leaving New England and CA to head to these areas. These areas will make more $, have more $ to invest locally, improving schools, creating well rounded educated kids. Its a culture of success.
Whereas dem controlled areas rely on govt support and systematically hold people down with high taxes and limited growth.

spence 08-23-2012 03:11 PM

I believe we've discussed this before.

-spence

RIJIMMY 08-23-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spence (Post 955262)
I believe we've discussed this before.

-spence

I believe the data speaks for itself

Hows the bankrupt state of RI doing these days?

Redsoxticket 08-23-2012 06:02 PM

These areas with the most growth are due to government contracts with the defense industry and their supporting companies. Thereafter the private industry will benefit from commercial derivation of that defense product. While there are thousands of soldiers in war there are tens of thousands supporting the war from research and development to manufacturing to custodial work.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIROCKHOUND 08-23-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955274)

Of those 10 how many are not linked directly to energy or gov't contract/D.C. work. TN might be the outlier here....

You can afford to give big incentives when you get big incentives from Oil Co's!

striperman36 08-23-2012 07:23 PM

I'm with Jimmy, unfortunately, the tech in the Rte 128 beltway is rapidly moving away from the democratic state of MA. I'm forced more and more to travel to work in my industry at a wage that is no where close to what it was 10 years ago.
MA is NOT corporate friendly, except if you print EBT cards

scottw 08-24-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by striperman36 (Post 955296)
I'm with Jimmy, unfortunately, the tech in the Rte 128 beltway is rapidly moving away from the democratic state of MA. I'm forced more and more to travel to work in my industry at a wage that is no where close to what it was 10 years ago.
MA is NOT corporate friendly, except if you print EBT cards

I know that Grover Nordqist is the epitome of evil for some but if you have the chance to catch his talk that has been on CSpan it's awfully good, he's an equal opportunity basher of both sides and he points out the "movement" taking place between the red and blue states....many or most of these red states are going to opt out of the medicare expansion thanks to SCOTUS and creation of these health exchanges...i think there are about 15(out of Obama's 57) states that are expected to have their exchanges up and running by the 2014 dedline....the blue states are going to wallow in their own mess and misery....:uhuh:

scottw 08-24-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955274)

struggling with voter fraud :)

likwid 08-24-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955231)
Take a look at the top 25 counties in the US for job growth..

Where the jobs are - Loudoun County, VA (1) - Money Magazine

Anyone want to guess at the common element?
Most are republican controlled "red" states. Coincidence?
I dont think so. Smart, educated, skilled people are leaving New England and CA to head to these areas. These areas will make more $, have more $ to invest locally, improving schools, creating well rounded educated kids. Its a culture of success.
Whereas dem controlled areas rely on govt support and systematically hold people down with high taxes and limited growth.

A: Dirt cheap labor
B: Dirt cheap cost of living
C: Dirt cheap property

Corporations don't move to areas to "improve the quality of life" they move to save money. Its all about success, of the corporation, not you.

Loudon isn't even close to being in the top 10 data centers in the US btw. To give you a scale, Microsoft's datacenter in Washington is 1/4 the size of EVERYTHING in Loudon. And they aren't even the biggest single DC. Also VZ hq has been in VA forever now.
Also, VZ, not a US company technically speaking, I'll let you sort that one out. :hihi:

Jackbass 08-24-2012 05:52 AM

VZ is a publiclally traded company so yes the ownership is all
Over the world

Jackbass 08-24-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 955286)
These areas with the most growth are due to government contracts with the defense industry and their supporting companies. Thereafter the private industry will benefit from commercial derivation of that defense product. While there are thousands of soldiers in war there are tens of thousands supporting the war from research and development to manufacturing to custodial work.

So military spending is good for the economy. It puts people to work thanks for makin that abundantly clear

likwid 08-24-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 955323)
So military spending is good for the economy. It puts people to work thanks for makin that abundantly clear

Pretty much been a universal truth. Its just when war ends that it all really falls apart.

Quick! We need to invade another country!

Jackbass 08-24-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 955318)

Corporations don't move to areas to "improve the quality of life" they move to save money. Its all about success, of the corporation, not you.

Loudon isn't even close to being in the top 10 data centers in the US btw. To give you a scale, Microsoft's datacenter in Washington is 1/4 the size of EVERYTHING in Loudon. And they aren't even the biggest single DC. Also VZ hq has been in VA forever now.
Also, VZ, not a US company technically speaking, I'll let you sort that one out. :hihi:

What a novel concept people start companies to make money. If their location is impeding their ability to profit they relocate? Amazing the one thing you also left out was corporate incentive to relocate. I would also imagine the lower wages paid fall in line with a lower cost of living. Far be it for me to say but if I were able to live comfortably on 30,000 net a year in an area where it cost me less to do so I might be satisfied with how things were? It would almost be like the dollar actually still had value.

likwid 08-24-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 955326)
What a novel concept people start companies to make money. If their location is impeding their ability to profit they relocate? Amazing the one thing you also left out was corporate incentive to relocate. I would also imagine the lower wages paid fall in line with a lower cost of living. Far be it for me to say but if I were able to live comfortably on 30,000 net a year in an area where it cost me less to do so I might be satisfied with how things were? It would almost be like the dollar actually still had value.

Once big enough most of those companies will move offshore.

Its nice to see Idaho Falls back in the list (my boss lived there), the last "big thing" they had was Dell. Until they decided to go to India.

I wonder how long before wash rinse repeat. :D

Jackbass 08-24-2012 06:12 AM

How is dell's market share these days? The one thing you could count on with dell back in the day was incredible customer service. Not do much anymore. I would like to think a CEO (not all i am sure) has the ability to not repeat others mistakes. I suppose it is a wait and see game. But if a business has no need to move offshore it will not? If a corporations profits are being hamstrung by a negative business climate and the inability to turn a profit it will in fact move. They have stick holders to answer to etc. etc. maybe we should be looking at ways to make the US more corporate friendly and the people will reap the rewards of having steady jobs.

likwid 08-24-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 955329)
How is dell's market share these days?

#3 behind a Chinese company and a shell of its former self cheapo junk computer company (HP)

Where do you think HP's support is? How about Lenovo's?

Quote:

The one thing you could count on with dell back in the day was incredible customer service. Not do much anymore. I would like to think a CEO (not all i am sure) has the ability to not repeat others mistakes.
Michael Dell and mahogany row just did what everyone else did. Not really a 'mistake'. It did save them huge amounts of money. Upper level support (mostly datacenter support/high level corp support) stayed in US (in places like Idaho) for a time until it was consolidated/streamlined/partially shipped offshore.

I do love Dell's plan after Rollins resigned.
After four out of five quarterly earnings reports were below expectations, Rollins resigned in 2007 and founder Michael Dell assumed the role of CEO again. Dell announced a change campaign called "Dell 2.0," reducing headcount and diversifying the company's product offerings.
:hihi:

Quote:

I suppose it is a wait and see game. But if a business has no need to move offshore it will not?
Companies make changes/move for pennies on the dollar. Keep the stock holders happy, not you the consumer.

Quote:

If a corporations profits are being hamstrung by a negative business climate and the inability to turn a profit it will in fact move. They have stick holders to answer to etc. etc. maybe we should be looking at ways to make the US more corporate friendly and the people will reap the rewards of having steady jobs.
What would you suggest they do?
Give huge tax breaks? (already done) Reduce the minimum wage? (Maybe the mexicans will go home) Strip workers rights? (Which in a sense we may see in Detroit)

Jackbass 08-24-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 955332)
What would you suggest they do?
Give huge tax breaks? (already done) Reduce the minimum wage? (Maybe the mexicans will go home) Strip workers rights? (Which in a sense we may see in Detroit)

My suggestion is the US become
More autonomous. Close the borders. Impose tariffs on imports make outsourcing overseas less cost affective. Impose stiff taxes on imported oil and make it more profitable for oil companies to keep our oil here.

As far as Detroit goes?? So be it! No company can produce a
Product at a profit and support some of those old contracts. If they had re organized instead of taking bail outs they would have been able to re negotiate with the UAW and come to terms on contracts that would keep people working and enable the companies to turn a profit. Those UAW contracts no Company could make
It with. My FIL worked for GM in Framingham they shut down the plant he retired at 45 with full medical and retirement and pay for the next 20 years?

likwid 08-24-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 955337)
My FIL worked for GM in Framingham they shut down the plant he retired at 45 with full medical and retirement and pay for the next 20 years?

Considering being in a union isn't hugs kisses and bunny rabbits despite what most think, he probably busted his a&& in that plant harder than you ever will.

RIROCKHOUND 08-24-2012 07:48 AM

"The Massachusetts technology sector added 3,300 computer engineering and Web development jobs since the beginning of this year, 50 percent more than in the same period in 2011, thanks largely to hiring sprees at software giants such as Internet architecture company Akamai Technologies Inc. For the seven-month period through July, Massachusetts had the country’s sixth-highest level of job creation in the segment of the state’s innovation economy designated as computer systems design and related services, according to Dice.com."

Tech job growth accelerates in Massachusetts - The Boston Globe

Nebe 08-24-2012 08:09 AM

Bryan. Why bother?

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 955318)

likwid, nebe, bry,

I cant tell you how uninformed you are
Dirt cheap labor Likwid? 4 of the counties in TX on the list are near my town. Median incomes are in all these areas exceed 100K PER HOUSEHOLD. Most are 140K and above. You cant touch houses in some of these places for under a million. And guess what? Theres no oil here or energy. Its all healthcare, IT and financial services. Every day I see maseratis, bentleys and lamborghinis driving around. Yeah, they're all dirt cheap labor.

new englanders heads are so far up there a$$ its not even funny. There is not one area in NE that is growing. The entire areas is declining.
Go ahead and jump all over me but I can post volumes of DATA that show the median incomes, industries, etc. I know its hard to believe when you're in the new england bubble, but the rest of the country is educated, skilled and motivated.

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:16 AM

dadgummut, Ima gessin these here yungins is moving to places that offer them some day o-por-tune-ity and likin them rednecky states

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~rgittell/do...oungAdults.pdf

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 955286)

that is bull$hit
did you even read the article?

Jackbass 08-24-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 955344)
Considering being in a union isn't hugs kisses and bunny rabbits despite what most think, he probably busted his a&& in that plant harder than you ever will.

Really you know nothing of me. My work ethic or what I do for work. But you can make a statement about me based on comments in a thread. I never said anything about the work load he carried or the work performed by unions. I am simply stating no company no matter how large can subsidize a large percentage of its work force for that period of time with zero return on its investment. I will go back to being a slacker now.

Redsoxticket 08-24-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955364)
that is bull$hit
did you even read the article?

I had worked for a large defense contractor so I know what I am talking about.

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redsoxticket (Post 955368)
I had worked for a large defense contractor so I know what I am talking about.

ohh! well I currently work for one of the worlds largest financial companies and I know what im talking about. Plus, believe it or not, I have data to back me up. data is a wonderful thing.

likwid 08-24-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955360)
likwid, nebe, bry,

I cant tell you how uninformed you are
Dirt cheap labor Likwid? 4 of the counties in TX on the list are near my town. Median incomes are in all these areas exceed 100K PER HOUSEHOLD. Most are 140K and above. You cant touch houses in some of these places for under a million. And guess what? Theres no oil here or energy. Its all healthcare, IT and financial services. Every day I see maseratis, bentleys and lamborghinis driving around. Yeah, they're all dirt cheap labor.

new englanders heads are so far up there a$$ its not even funny. There is not one area in NE that is growing. The entire areas is declining.
Go ahead and jump all over me but I can post volumes of DATA that show the median incomes, industries, etc. I know its hard to believe when you're in the new england bubble, but the rest of the country is educated, skilled and motivated.

Thats funny, I just looked through Fort Bend County (trulia etc) and nothing over a million is moving.

Lots of wishing, not alot of selling.

I can throw a rock and hit million dollar homes and wave to million dollar incomes, whats your point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955369)
ohh! well I currently work for one of the worlds largest financial companies and I know what im talking about. Plus, believe it or not, I have data to back me up. data is a wonderful thing.

RIJimmy admits to be working for the problem. :hihi:

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:48 AM

[QUOTE=likwid;955371]Thats funny, I just looked through Fort Bend County (trulia etc) and nothing over a million is moving.

Lots of wishing, not alot of selling.

I can throw a rock and hit million dollar homes and wave to million dollar incomes, whats your point?

QUOTE]

my point is that its not "cheap labor" driving growth in these areas. If it was, the median income would not be so high in most of these areas that are growing. Its a silly science called economics. Whats driving growth is
- good business climate which includes low state taxes, and qualified resources (pools of college grads - where its growing)
- quality of life - good commutes, better weather
- good schools, infrastructure

while I agree with you that companies dont care about your quality of life, the quality of life of an area is what attracts talented people. Its not about only money. people want work/life balance and most cities cannot offer that.
My wife and I rarely had commutes under an hour, and not we commute 10 minutes and live in an affluent area I could not afford to live in on the east coast. My kids public schools are mind blowing, all the latest technology and built in the last few yrs. Educational rankings are exceptional.
you serioulsy must be blind if you dont see talented people fleeing the northeast. In my old neighborhood in MA alone, 4 familes recently moved to other states for better jobs.

likwid 08-24-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 955374)
If it was, the median income would not be so high in most of these areas that are growing.

Post your data sources.
Lets make sure to differentiate between median family vs median male or median female.

Quote:

people want work/life balance and most cities cannot offer that.
Manhattan. End of discussion on that.

Quote:

you serioulsy must be blind if you dont see talented people fleeing the northeast. In my old neighborhood in MA alone, 4 familes recently moved to other states for better jobs.
Yes, just like Mass Exodus. Remember that? END OF MA BUSINESS! Right, sure, door -> butt etc.

RIJIMMY 08-24-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 955377)
Post your data sources.
Lets make sure to differentiate between median family vs median male or median female.

Manhattan. End of discussion on that.

Yes, just like Mass Exodus. Remember that? END OF MA BUSINESS! Right, sure, door -> butt etc.

are you suggestng Manhattan has a good work life balance? huh? fro families? you'd have to make huge $$$ to live there, you'd have to send your kids to private schools, crowds, crime, parking, everyting is incredibly expensive
Serioulsy, are you out of your mind?