Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Political Threads (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Who's nose will grow the longest tonight? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=79672)

Saltheart 10-22-2012 07:59 PM

Who's nose will grow the longest tonight?

Can't wait to hear the whoppers tonight. Too bad they are not like Pinocchio so we could instantly see the lies and how big they are. Did Pinocchio's nose grow only when he was knowingly lying or did it grow just a little when he said things he made up not knowing if they were true or not?

This should be entertaining. Obama desperately needs to wiggle out of the truths on Lybia. I wonder what the strategy will be and just how far the truth will be stretched (or lies compressed) to save his butt from the obvious Lybia embarrassment he has to face.

This whole election could just explode tonight depending on who is willing to say what and just how gullible the American People are! :)

buckman 10-22-2012 08:20 PM

I swear I just saw the President's ears grow! Does that count?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIJIMMY 10-22-2012 08:41 PM

Watching now, so far Big O is kicking arse

Raider Ronnie 10-22-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 965005)
Watching now, so far Big O is kicking arse

Just wait for the fact checks in about an hour !

RIJIMMY 10-22-2012 09:26 PM

He said 10s of thousands were marching to support the US in Libya. I counted about 30.

striperman36 10-22-2012 09:42 PM

Romney's nose, Obama's ears

RIJIMMY 10-22-2012 10:18 PM

Obama lied
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/op...mney.html?_r=0

JohnnyD 10-22-2012 11:51 PM

I think Gary Johnson Tweeted it the best:
"#Obama says he's worried about innocent young people in the Middle East. Perhaps he should start by not killing them with drones. "

Slipknot 10-23-2012 06:17 AM

Do all politicians blink their eyes rapidly at debates? or is that a nervous thing. I could not help but notice, then I got bored and they put me to sleep so I missed most of the debate:sleeps:
I got thru the first question and into the second

likwid 10-23-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 965017)
I think Gary Johnson Tweeted it the best:
"#Obama says he's worried about innocent young people in the Middle East. Perhaps he should start by not killing them with drones. "

You forgot this one:

Gov. Gary Johnson ‏@GovGaryJohnson
#Romney says he supports #Obama's use of #drones. I am the only candidate who will not use drones to murder innocent people.

buckman 10-23-2012 06:24 AM

Obama reminds me of a washed up actor trying to hang on anyway he can.
His responses were sophomoric

likwid 10-23-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 965032)
Obama reminds me of a washed up actor trying to hang on anyway he can.
His responses were sophomoric

At least he didn't mention Poland :hihi:

scottw 10-23-2012 06:39 AM

at this point the undecided are the target/goal of the campaigns and I think Romney appealed to that group and sounded far more Presidential than the President...arrogant, condescending and lecturing in demeaning tones and terms (look at me...I'm smarter than you...I'm the "EXPERT"), all Obama's greatest traits, might help pump up the base in many ways but I don't think those strategies sell that well with the undecided and in particular with women and with anyone who is continuining to struggle right now, we'll see....pretty soon:)

buckman 10-23-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 965033)
At least he didn't mention Poland :hihi:

Funny I was thinking mediocre had become the new normal under this administration so I guess "least"
Is the best we can expect.

Romney took the high road last night. I don't know if it was the best road but it does give "hope" for a "change" in the way things might be under a new administration

PaulS 10-23-2012 07:34 AM

Reading the reviews here, it appears Romny won the first 2 of the debates and I'm sure he won the 3rd. Must have been hot there as Romney was sweating bullets.

JohnR 10-23-2012 07:37 AM

New catch phrase, horses and bayonets. Mitt was right regarding the Navy and Obama knows it and still trotted out that horsebleep. Effing Politicians.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slipknot (Post 965029)
Do all politicians blink their eyes rapidly at debates? or is that a nervous thing. I could not help but notice, then I got bored and they put me to sleep so I missed most of the debate:sleeps:
I got thru the first question and into the second

They are blinking Morse code with their eye lids. Usually saying "Suckers" or "I'm Lying" or something. They sometimes have their fingers crossed too.

Piscator 10-23-2012 07:46 AM

Romney won the first one
Obama gained ground in the second one
Romney won the third one

likwid 10-23-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 965053)
Mitt was right regarding the Navy and Obama knows it and still trotted out that horsebleep. Effing Politicians.

No, Mitt is not even remotely close to right on the Navy.

Also maybe we all missed out on the whole thing through the 80's and 90's about streamlining the military in general, less vehicles, less ships, less money being blown on old infrastructure that was obsolete and worthless when we have lots of really really cool crap for multirole purposes?

RIROCKHOUND 10-23-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 965055)
Romney won the first one
Obama gained ground in the second one
Romney won the third one

You really believe that on #3?

Even McCain this morning was saying Romney "did what he had to do" which to me is code word for he didn't fall on his face, but he didn't win..

It doesn't bother anyone how much he has flipped his positions on a lot of key issues? If I was a Neo-Con I'd be bald(er) right now pulling my hair out...

Piscator 10-23-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 965061)
You really believe that on #3?

I think he did have the edge. Obama has a foriegn policy record and it isn't good. Romney doesn't have a record but I think he was able to attack Obamas and speak effectively on world issues. He is well aware of what's going on and has done his homework.

I think he edged out Obama in the 3rd but not sure it's enough

RIROCKHOUND 10-23-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 965062)
I think he did have the edge. Obama has a foriegn policy record and it isn't good. Romney doesn't have a record but I think he was able to attack Obamas and speak effectively on world issues. He is well aware of what's going on and has done his homework.

I think he edged out Obama in the 3rd but not sure it's enough

His homework was to flip his positions and mirror the President in a lot of respects... I guess Obama can't be all wrong then....

RIJIMMY 10-23-2012 08:18 AM

I thought Obama destroyed Mitt in the debate. I dont think Romney scored one punch. Every point he made was to agree with Obama.

RIROCKHOUND 10-23-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIJIMMY (Post 965067)
I thought Obama destroyed Mitt in the debate. I dont think Romney scored one punch. Every point he made was to agree with Obama.

Liberal apologist... :biglaugh: Texas is making you soft, boy.... :smash:

RIJIMMY 10-23-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND (Post 965068)
Liberal apologist... :biglaugh: Texas is making you soft, boy.... :smash:

I look so pretty in pink.

Piscator 10-23-2012 08:37 AM

I also thought it was interesting that Andy Hiller for channel 7 this morning felt that Romney won the debate.

fishbones 10-23-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulS (Post 965051)
Reading the reviews here, it appears Romny won the first 2 of the debates and I'm sure he won the 3rd. Must have been hot there as Romney was sweating bullets.

Romney kept his composure much better than Obama. Obama kept swallowing hard and looking nervous. Also, Obama got into his snippy mode trying to talk down to Romney because he can't handle someone pointing out when he's wrong.

I think it was very close, mostly because Romney didn't do enough. I'm not sure why he didn't bring up Libya, but that would have given him an edge. Obama kept going back to education, which was strange for a foreign policy debate. Yup, what this country needs is more unionized workers who's career advancement is based not on performance but tenure. Romney definitely missed some opportunities, but he came out looking composed and more presidential than the current President. Btw, how many times did Obama have to tell everyone he was "Commander in Chief" or the "current President of the United States"? Don't most people watching the debate aready know that? I think he just likes hearing himself say it.

likwid 10-23-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 965072)
I also thought it was interesting that Andy Hiller for channel 7 this morning felt that Romney won the debate.

My dog won the debate.
She's way cooler than either of the candidates.
The end.

JohnR 10-23-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likwid (Post 965059)
No, Mitt is not even remotely close to right on the Navy.

Also maybe we all missed out on the whole thing through the 80's and 90's about streamlining the military in general, less vehicles, less ships, less money being blown on old infrastructure that was obsolete and worthless when we have lots of really really cool crap for multirole purposes?

:rotf2::rotf2::buds::lama::rtfm:

Err, no. We did streamline the military in the 90s, perhaps too much. But we did not streamline requirements and missions.

And at what point do we go from streamlining to gutting?

The 2000s were horrible for the Navy ship counts and this is only accelerating now (though to the O admin's credit somewhat stabilized for now though the can is still getting kicked).

The Navy is by hull count the smallest it has been in nearly 100 years. But the missions have not. Ships spend far more time deployed at sea, with smaller overworked crews (and less people to do the simple stuff), with bigger repair needs, than at any time since WWII.

That would indicate that there are not enough hulls to do the missions.

Jim in CT 10-23-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 965077)
Romney kept his composure much better than Obama. Obama kept swallowing hard and looking nervous. Also, Obama got into his snippy mode trying to talk down to Romney because he can't handle someone pointing out when he's wrong.

I think it was very close, mostly because Romney didn't do enough. I'm not sure why he didn't bring up Libya, but that would have given him an edge. Obama kept going back to education, which was strange for a foreign policy debate. Yup, what this country needs is more unionized workers who's career advancement is based not on performance but tenure. Romney definitely missed some opportunities, but he came out looking composed and more presidential than the current President. Btw, how many times did Obama have to tell everyone he was "Commander in Chief" or the "current President of the United States"? Don't most people watching the debate aready know that? I think he just likes hearing himself say it.

Good analysis. Can't imagine why Romney didn't bring up Libya. If I read a transcript, I'd give Obama a small edge. Watching the video, I give Romney a small edge. He appeared more dignified, Obama looked defensive, because he is, and rightly so, as the wheels are coming off the Obama bus.

It's going to be close. 4 years ago, I thought it was a given that we'd have to endure 8 years of Obama looking down his nose at us. Hell, I'd have been happy with 8 years, as I was expecting the electorate to ignore the rules and appoint him for life.

This election gets decisded in OH, WI, CO, NV. Maybe PA, but I don't hink Romney has a shot there. I haven't seen a poll that has Romney ahead in Ohio. But I've seen polls be very wrong.

JohnnyD 10-23-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbones (Post 965077)
Yup, what this country needs is more unionized workers who's career advancement is based not on performance but tenure.

The types of things that make my blood boil.

I raise my mug of coffee to you.