Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bad habits while fishing (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80254)

parker23 12-04-2012 07:37 AM

Bad habits while fishing

I was wondering if anyone else has a bad habit that coincides with fishing season.
I started chewing tobacco 33 years ago while fishing with a buddy who chewed. Back then it was Red Man. At the end of the season I just stopped. By late April early May I would be fishing and jonesing for a chew.
Now 30 years later I am using 5-7 tins a week of Copenhagen during the season. I quit at the end of the season and start again in the spring. During the season I chew all the time, even off the water. So, as this season is coming to an end in the next week or two, I have to quit again and experience the same troublesome task of stopping my addiction.
Once the initial withdrawals are gone, I am fine and do not crave a dip between the cheek and gum. I know from my past 30 + years of the nasty habit that come next year I will be back at it. Thankfully, my teeth, gums and mouth are fine (so far), but that too could change.
Besides sleep deprivation, spousal neglect and household chores that get put on the back burner until the poles are away for the season, what other bad habits do you folks have that pop up every season?

BigFish 12-04-2012 08:27 AM

I enjoy farting....while out fishing! Be it in a pair of waders while surf fishing or sitting on the plastic seat in my kayak......nothing beats ripping a rich one while hauling back on the fishing rod....loud and proud!!!:rotf2:

parker23 12-04-2012 09:11 AM

farting in waders is very cool.

niko 12-04-2012 09:49 AM

Try camel snus. All the nicotine with no spitting. Made the switch a few years ago. Every once in awhile I still buy a tin of Skoal but get disgusted by the time im halfway through a can
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Jackbass 12-04-2012 10:36 AM

I smoke like its a job when I am fishing going to try an e cig this winter

FinS 32 12-04-2012 01:19 PM

i wander. il start thinking about something and as i walk to my spot, ill just keep thinking and walking, ill be 2 miles away from where i wanted to be, and very often in the wrong direction

ivanputski 12-04-2012 01:27 PM

Junk food... If you survive on gas station food and wendy's drive thru (open til 3am... a blessing and a curse) long enough, sooner or later you develop a taste for it... I used to never eat garbage drive thru burgers... now I am hooked and I hate it.

Another bad habit? i have stopped trying to keep my car clean and am ok if it is a disaster...

the point 12-04-2012 02:31 PM

Smoking,,,, but dont let the head of your cig touch your braided line while reeling in a fish....now as soon as its fish on The cig goes.

parker23 12-04-2012 02:56 PM

Dirty truck/junk food

My truck stinks! There is at least a pound of sand on driver side floor.
Eel bucket w/stinky dry crispy rags and a cooler full of sand slush and fish slime. As well as a few dozen empty cans of energy drink.

I solved the junk food thing. I have a soft cooler w/bread, peanut butter and fruit as well as some trail mix stuff. Couple of gallons of water and I am good to go.

I process drive through food so quickly, I have to eat it on the toilet.

Clogston29 12-04-2012 02:58 PM

5 hr energy

grande iced red eye from starbucks (even the people working there give you a look when you order it)

driving home in a state of fatigue that has to be worse than being drunk

Bronko 12-04-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clogston29 (Post 972699)
5 hr energy

grande iced red eye from starbucks (even the people working there give you a look when you order it)

driving home in a state of fatigue that has to be worse than being drunk

Agreed, I am totally impaired when I have been fishing hard. A couple all nighters with virtually no sleep and work mixed in... dangerous stuff. All the windows down, radio pumped, throw some water on my face... I have tried everything.

bart 12-04-2012 04:35 PM

I didn't start smoking til I started fishing like a mad man...I was 22 :smash:

red bull, fast food, cigs.... diet of champions!!

RIJIMMY 12-04-2012 04:56 PM

Fishing requires me to spend enormous amounts of $$ and time.

Night Shift 12-04-2012 05:07 PM

Chewing on stogies and I tend to swear like a pirate. I believe my success rate would suffer without the frequent use of the F-Bomb.

Nebe 12-04-2012 06:15 PM

I'm proud to say that I just weaned myself off of fast food. I was Ina pinch and hit Wendy's the other day and threw half of it away. My secret of changing my tastes was to stop drinking coke. Then I started drinking my coffee black. This really changed my palette... I can't drink coke any more as it now tastes like battery acid. I'm sure I will start loosing weight from this.

Nebe 12-04-2012 06:16 PM

Oh.. And as a result of this I am really liking new foods I didn't like before like Greek yogurt.

saltfly 12-04-2012 06:18 PM

Taking wayyyyyy too much krap with me.No matter whether it's fly,spin,conv.Also boat,beach,ditch.This includes clothes,food,drink.I use about 10% no matter where,when or what.Just can't kick it!!!!

FinS 32 12-04-2012 06:26 PM

forgot to mention my worst habit... buffalo chicken taquitos from 7/11. i limit myself to like 2 or 3 a week, so im not having one everytime i fish, but when i have any more than that i pay for it severly. :crying:

JohnnySaxatilis 12-04-2012 07:09 PM

I think DD covers half of my fishing expense annually. $3.40 for a coffee and a muffin. WHYYYYYY DO I DO IT!?? o thats right cuz there's one every 25ft and my tiny brain can't break the cycle

lamigsb1 12-04-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 972733)
I'm proud to say that I just weaned myself off of fast food. I was Ina pinch and hit Wendy's the other day and threw half of it away. My secret of changing my tastes was to stop drinking coke. Then I started drinking my coffee black. This really changed my palette... I can't drink coke any more as it now tastes like battery acid. I'm sure I will start loosing weight from this.

I cut out the coke and Gatorade .. ..lost 80 lbs.
Should have done that 15 years ago

Smoking. Is the next to go. Usually a pack a day. 2 when fishing

Swimmer 12-04-2012 07:20 PM

How can any of you afford and fishing gear and buy cigarettes too? My wife told me years ago I could spend all the money I spent on butts, 3 to 4 packs a day at that time, on fishing equipment, if I stopped. Didn't stop just then, but eventually, as I hope all of you do.

Nebe, good for you on the black coffee. You'll find drinking black coffee the morning after you spent the entire evening before drinking blueberry beer will go much better. Milk and suger in your coffee with a hangover curtles your stomach, making you feel even worse.

WESTPORTMAFIA 12-04-2012 07:24 PM

Using a sock or a sleeve to wipe after a panic dump. I have many socks without a match and a couple long-sleeves hanging up in the closet with only one sleeve. Its funny, she just does the wash and realizes a sleeve is missing while folding them and then calls me an IDIOT:biglaugh:

Jackbass 12-04-2012 07:29 PM

Less sleeves or the hot snake surprise it's a no brainer.

SurfCaster413 12-04-2012 08:01 PM

Dipping to stay awake and 2 or 3 big red bulls a night.

Bazza 12-04-2012 08:05 PM

Spending too much $$$$ on fishing gear, tackle ect... I have plenty, but still want more

rizzo 12-04-2012 08:42 PM

Not being able to focus on the normal life...

Nebe 12-04-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swimmer (Post 972751)
How can any of you afford and fishing gear and buy cigarettes too? My wife told me years ago I could spend all the money I spent on butts, 3 to 4 packs a day at that time, on fishing equipment, if I stopped. Didn't stop just then, but eventually, as I hope all of you do.

Nebe, good for you on the black coffee. You'll find drinking black coffee the morning after you spent the entire evening before drinking blueberry beer will go much better. Milk and suger in your coffee with a hangover curtles your stomach, making you feel even worse.

Blueberry beer?!? Good lord man. Fruit and beer is a no-go for me :)

sokinwet 12-04-2012 09:26 PM

I can't eat when I fish....been that way since my tournament bass days. I can however drink coffee by the gallon "on the fly".

bart 12-04-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzo (Post 972766)
Not being able to focus on the normal life...

this normal life you speak of :confused:

Hardcore 12-04-2012 10:43 PM

Fishing is a bad habit within itself. We do it because it makes us feel good, we do it because we need to not because we want to. We spend crazy money on it, we lose sleep over it, we miss important events because of it. And we justify it just any other junky does. But I ain't going to rehab :)