Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Boat Fishing & Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Boat speakers.... (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80401)

Mr. Sandman 12-12-2012 09:08 AM

Boat speakers....

I have 4 bose speakers (the environmental outdoor line) mounted under the gunnels +10" sub (as well as 4 bose cube style inside the pilothouse, and two no-name marine box speakers down below in the bunk area.

I have had consistent problems with the outdoor speakers failing. They just stop working. I had them on my previous boat as well and they crapped out there too. They last for a season but normally die the next season. I take them off the boat each winter, gently clean and store them indoors. It is only the outside speakers that die.

In the past I just bought another one but now I am trying to claim something under warranty, one has died completely less than one year after purchase. (we will see how that goes...)

Anyway, In the event I need to purchase new ones, what speakers do you like for outside under the gunnels. I am looking for good units that hold up to the elements better. They are driven by a 3 zone fusion system with a separate power-amp and the outside set also has a 10" sub woofer as well. When it works it sounds awesome but these outdoor speakers seemed to crap out fast.

Any suggestions?

MakoMike 12-12-2012 09:49 AM

I've had the old Jensens mounted under the gunnels and they usually last for about five years. Not the best sounding speakers, but they do last.

tautog 12-12-2012 09:53 AM

Jim, when we had the tour boat we always had Bose 151 and they were on the top deck and exposed all year. They were great and for the past 6 years they have been working great on my deck at home.
I added a couple of the West marine top of the line box speakers and had no trouble with them and have a couple under my gunnels and never had any issues.
Good luck

Piscator 12-12-2012 11:06 AM

I have these on my boat and they are AWESOME

JL Audio Marine MX650-CCX

MX-Series - JL Audio

thefishingfreak 12-12-2012 11:52 AM

No stereo on the Fishbucket, but I'll serenade you if you so desire.

Mr. Sandman 12-12-2012 12:14 PM

you got to get some serious tunes on board man, hook up the mp3s, sat radio it is easy and pretty cheap.... it is far better then listening to the yapping on the vhf all day, that drives me nuts

numbskull 12-14-2012 06:30 AM

Distractions while fishing? Why?

PRBuzz 12-14-2012 07:01 AM

The thumping of the music's bass attracts fish! Get'a huge powered subwoofer and make you own waves.:rotf2:

Mr. Sandman 12-14-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 974325)
I'll serenade you if you so desire.

Do you know any Barry White ?:biglaugh:

thefishingfreak 12-14-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull (Post 974716)
Distractions while fishing? Why?

Right!
I got so much goin on in my brain at once already. throw in some background noise and the wheels just st... Ohh look a chicken
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Big Game 12-17-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piscator (Post 974309)
I have these on my boat and they are AWESOME

JL Audio Marine MX650-CCX

MX-Series - JL Audio

:agree:

JL Audio makes really nice marine speakers.

MrHunters 12-17-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 974776)
Right!
I got so much goin on in my brain at once already. throw in some background noise and the wheels just st... Ohh look a chicken

hahahaha i found that extremely funny. :rotf2:

Guppy 12-17-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishingfreak (Post 974325)
No stereo on the Fishbucket, but I'll serenade you if you so desire.

I'd better bring duct tape! :-)
Gup

Van 12-18-2012 08:31 AM

I notice the catching is better with the music on.:uhuh:
I have a secret striper song. Makes them crazy !!!!

Outside, I have some flush mount West Marine 6x9.
They been working for over 10 years. Sound is fair to good.
The two in the cabin never see weather so they are just car
speakers. Also been in there for years.

Marc Z 12-18-2012 10:46 AM

Another vote for the JL's.. Great sound, loud and have had no issues.

Mr. Sandman 12-28-2012 08:01 PM

:kewl:

Well, I had called Bose and explained my situation. They asked me for the serial numbers. Then they said, send them in and they will repair them. I did and they did! They look brand new except for the original serial number sticker on the back. The guts are brand new, the old ones had corrosion inside.

They also said it comes with a new 3 yr warranty. This cost me nothing other then shipping it to them. Kudo's for bose for standing behind their product.