Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   The Scuppers (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Small engine guys? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=80823)

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-20-2013 02:34 PM

Small engine guys?

Anyone nearby who can tune my 49cc 2 hp Tecumseh motor (ice auger)? Plug is new filters are clean, gas mix is 100% accurate. It starts up instantly and idles perfect. Once in full throttle wines in and out losing rpms. I don't think it's the carbs as it's only giving me an issue at full throttle. The engine speed screw was messed with (only has 1 and not sure if it's a high or low) but it has been put back in the correct position.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-20-2013 02:35 PM

It's not a big drop in rpms. Just enough to screw me while in the middle of a drilled hole.

Jackbass 01-20-2013 04:10 PM

It is a carb issue what's happening is the needle inside the carb is not moving properly due to shellacking. I know it seems odd but whag is happening is it is not coming out of idle properly. If you are confident enough to do it remove the carb and get a rebuild kit for it. Then go to napa and get the carb cleaner kit. It is a 1 gallon Pail with a parts tray in it. You drop the carb in it for a few hours over night what ever and re assemble. It will run like a dream.

If your engine does not have an in line shut off put one on it. Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-20-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 980919)
It is a carb issue what's happening is the needle inside the carb is not moving properly due to shellacking. I know it seems odd but whag is happening is it is not coming out of idle properly. If you are confident enough to do it remove the carb and get a rebuild kit for it. Then go to napa and get the carb cleaner kit. It is a 1 gallon Pail with a parts tray in it. You drop the carb in it for a few hours over night what ever and re assemble. It will run like a dream.

If your engine does not have an in line shut off put one on it. Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.

I have never let gas sit in it for more than a week or 2 and it gets drained and ran through at the end of every season.I have had carb issues with other small engines before but they always were choking out, stalling and idle problems. Never anything like this. Should I just try cleaning the carbs with carb cleaner before buying a rebuild kit?

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-20-2013 04:44 PM

This is what it sounds like. From idle to full throttle without me backing off.

2hp - YouTube

Higgie 01-20-2013 06:07 PM

Take it apart and clean it first and foremost. Careful seperating the gaskets there should be four of them, usually. Compressed air and lubricant. I'm not a huge fan of stronger solvent chemicals just a personal preference. Use a straight edge razor to separate the gaskets rebuild kits can be stupid expensive. Shoot me a jay if you have any questions.
Rich

Jackbass 01-20-2013 06:36 PM

After talking to you on the phone I don't think it is a carb issue. It has something to do with how the power meets the auger

justplugit 01-21-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 980919)

Run the carb dry every use and treat every single tank of gas you get for it. The ethanol in gas is absolutely brutal on small engines.

The exact reason why high test is the only gas to run in small egines.

tysdad115 01-21-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackbass (Post 980936)
After talking to you on the phone I don't think it is a carb issue. It has something to do with how the power meets the auger

Jay if you need anything made or welded let me know.You can run it to Wareham and Ill break it down and fix it for you.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-21-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 981020)
Jay if you need anything made or welded let me know.You can run it to Wareham and Ill break it down and fix it for you.

I'm pretty sure its just one of the adjustment screws. I do need my small lawnmower plow welded. It broke from the frame while ramming an ice boulder multiple times. Is this something that I can bring down and wait while you weld it.

tysdad115 01-21-2013 12:05 PM

Sure. I'm here until 6 tonight.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-21-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 981040)
Sure. I'm here until 6 tonight.

JUST LEFT YOU A MESSAGE. CALL ME. I WANT TO HEAD UP BEFORE THE SNOW COMES

tysdad115 01-21-2013 01:37 PM

No need to yell, I was on the other line..:biglaugh:

fishbones 01-21-2013 02:25 PM

Be careful touching the plow, Andy. He uses it to push all his dog crap into the neighbors yard. He's to lazy to clean it up like normal people.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-21-2013 08:03 PM

Thanks for the hook-up Andy!! It was put back together correctly too. As far as the heat it cooled off warmed up and cooled off again :confused:. It's like menopause.

tysdad115 01-21-2013 08:23 PM

Anytime. Recheck the coolant around June, when you get your inspection sticker...

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-21-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 981134)
Anytime. Recheck the coolant around June, when you get your inspection sticker...

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

I'm going to check the mail right now to see if my new reg and sticker arrived.

WESTPORTMAFIA 01-21-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WESTPORTMAFIA (Post 981173)
:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

I'm going to check the mail right now to see if my new reg and sticker arrived.

Yup. I probably should have checked the mail before heading out. I online bank all of my bills. So there is usually no need to check the mail box unless I'm expecting something.