Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Egg help! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82112)

Zeal 04-29-2013 03:27 PM

Egg help!

Hello hello! Glad to finally be back, missed you all!

I finally reached the stage where I have the night and day arsenal and now can focus on turning wood and experiment with what I have laying around.

Now then, technically I doubt these are really "plugs" but I've been working on using flies and other lightweight teasers along with jellyworms, etc. that have no weight and still managing to cast them (I'm no fly fisherman). Already made some nice 3 way setups for inlets without a problem but now I need them for the topwater...

That's right people, I'm talking about CASTING EGGS.

I have plenty of wood that I can't use for lures (diameter issues, etc.) so why not use it for this (definitely will help my shaping skills and teach me how to through wire properly and make the loops)?

Anyone actually make these before besides buying them?

My main concern is being able to actually weight these eggs (i.e. wanting to make a 1.5 oz. or a 2 oz.). Typically I do not care for assuming, but my assumption otherwise is that you would use the same sealer, paint, through wire, etc. as if it were a plug.

I'd love to do this since I used the plastic bubbles for freshwater.

P.S - Yes, I used search and nothing came up, found little on other forums except where to buy them but not how to make them (in detail at least).

nightfighter 04-29-2013 03:36 PM

Pretty simple, so keep it simple... Shape, drill either by hand, lathe, or drill press (doesn't have to be exact.) Through wire with short piece. Basic white spray paint. ( I have never bothered epoxying them...) No weight. Size determines the weight.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...ting-eggs.html

Zeal 04-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 996740)
Pretty simple, so keep it simple... Shape, drill either by hand, lathe, or drill press (doesn't have to be exact.) Through wire with short piece. Basic white spray paint. ( I have never bothered epoxying them...) No weight. Size determines the weight.

You don't epoxy the through wire ends? Do you seal it?

nightfighter 04-29-2013 03:45 PM

I have used them on a very limited basis. So no, I was lazy and did not. As mentioned in the thread I linked, some folks use them to the point they get water logged.

Nebe 04-29-2013 05:43 PM

I'd just buy some wooden eggs from micheals craft store. Drill, seal, paint. Wire.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

roym 04-29-2013 06:08 PM

Casting Eggs

They can be had on the cheap at The Mill Store unfinished furniture store. I get mine at the Canton store

johnny ducketts 04-30-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebe (Post 996761)
I'd just buy some wooden eggs from micheals craft store. Drill, seal, paint. Wire.

yup me too

N.ShoreFisher 05-01-2013 05:20 PM

why bother thru wiring? Why not just use some magnum screw eyes and some 2ton epoxy. It won't go anywhere.

Linesider82 05-01-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny ducketts (Post 996840)
yup me too

x3

ThrowingTimber 05-03-2013 08:40 AM

Step 1. Michaels crafts .69-.99 cents
Step 2. 2 screw eyes and 1 nail.
Step 3. Fish.

If you want to get fancy. After you've attached the screw eyes and the nail hit it with a coat of white epoxy appliance paint ;) make sure you wear your mask and have ample fresh air yadda, yadda breathing in epoxy appliance paint is bad.