Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   GoTight.Net Forum (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Petition for Rule Change (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=82520)

Ian 06-03-2013 12:15 PM

Petition for Rule Change
 
I would like to officially request that the Sunday hours be extended to midnight. My partner and I both work 5 days a week and Sundays are one of those days that allow me to slip away for the evening to catch some fish. Having guys capable of fishing all day Thursday but having to end early on Sunday seems like an unnecessary handicap for people whose schedules don't allow consistent weekday fishing...

Slipknot 06-03-2013 06:38 PM

I agree
Sunday is still weekend
wouldn't bother me if Thursday morning was not considered weekend either

Canalman 06-04-2013 08:02 AM

Let me think about it

GregW 06-04-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalman (Post 1001544)
Let me think about it

If we are going to change times, I wish Thursday could go to 12:01 instead of 4:30. I prefer to fish nights before the day time googans get out of bed.

Btw- is there a reason it isn't all week?

tysdad115 06-04-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 1001556)
If we are going to change times, I wish Thursday could go to 12:01 instead of 4:30. I prefer to fish nights before the day time googans get out of bed.

Btw- is there a reason it isn't all week?

I agree. The sunrise monsters have no problem getting up and making it for 4:30 ,when the rest of us have been out all night.

Canalman 06-04-2013 10:35 AM

The reason that it doesn't go all week is because I need to have some down time to catch up every week! :uhuh:

The reason why I didn't start it at midnight Thursday is because it would be too easy to enter a fish caught at say... 10 p.m. Wed, in the Thursday morning pics it's not full-dark so I can tell that the fish were caught when the metadata says it was.

The good news is I'm working with a programmer who is going to make the fish submission process pretty-much fully automated so next year I will probably be able to open it up for the whole week.

Believe me, if I was going to tailor this to my habits the week would run Monday-Thurs, but I know that most people fish weekends so I wanted to make it work for everyone.

And I'm reluctant to move the finish time back to midnight Sunday for the same reason I don't want to start it midnight Thur...

Canalman 06-04-2013 10:42 AM

I'd be more likely to bend on the Thursday start time, rather than the Sunday finish time. If I move the Sunday finish back, then I'm doing all the tallying, posting, photo editing, etc on Monday, when I'm supposed to be doing real work.

But I'm still leaning toward leaving it as-is for now.

smk379 06-04-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalman (Post 1001573)
I'd be more likely to bend on the Thursday start time, rather than the Sunday finish time. If I move the Sunday finish back, then I'm doing all the tallying, posting, photo editing, etc on Monday, when I'm supposed to be doing real work.

But I'm still leaning toward leaving it as-is for now.


Im with you all the way with this. Moving the Sunday finish time to midnight would really kinda screw you there. I like being able to see the final results and everything before I go to bed sunday night as well. Hell, I wouldn't mind if the finish time for sunday was changed to sunrise, then you could probably do every update to the site and everything before the end of the day. After pulling a few all nighters in a row I'm not really too sure many people fish during the day on sunday anyways. Plus, most normal people return to work monday and would enjoy a night of rest after giving it all they had for 4 nights straight.

Now Thursday is fine the way it is, not counting it as a weekend day or starting the tournament on Friday I think is just out of the question. I do like starting it at midnight but then you would have to worry about people entering fish from 10 pm wednesday.

If it were up to me I would start it Wednesday at sunset, run it till Sunday at sunrise. But other than that, leave it as it is.

smk379 06-04-2013 11:29 AM

Im not sure about running each tournament for the full week either, that might be a little much. If each one is 3 or 4 days long it allows guys to go balls to the walls for 4 nights straight but then still be able to get a night or two of rest without loosing there jobs or wives lol. Plus you do need a little time to get all those updates done and set up for the next one.

Maybe ill start a new poll - Weds @ sunset through Sun @ sunrise

....or just leave it be!

JLH 06-04-2013 11:38 AM

As it stands now there are almost 4 full days of fishing and only 3 nights. It seems that teams with easy access to certain areas that feature a good daytime or first light bite benefit from the rules as they stand. Adding another night or moving the start time on Thursday to sunset would help even things out.

BigFish 06-04-2013 11:57 AM

A wise man once said...."You can please some of the people some of the time....but you can't please all of the people all of the time!" Words to live by!:uhuh:

smk379 06-04-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFish (Post 1001587)
A wise man once said...."You can please some of the people some of the time....but you can't please all of the people all of the time!" Words to live by!:uhuh:

:agree:

tysdad115 06-04-2013 12:24 PM

Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in. When do you think you will have a Youth division update ? I know a kid that looks every day...

JLH 06-04-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 1001590)
Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in

Agreed!

Grampa Greg 06-04-2013 12:39 PM

Dave is a busy guy and he is doing this all on his own. Leave it be. Next year will be different.

GG

Ian 06-04-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysdad115 (Post 1001590)
Whatever you do, it's a fine job. Thanks again Dave, it's a fun tournament to be in.

Totally agree. I just figured it never hurts to ask :)

Having a blast in the current format.

GregW 06-04-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalman (Post 1001571)

The reason why I didn't start it at midnight Thursday is because it would be too easy to enter a fish caught at say... 10 p.m. Wed, in the Thursday morning pics it's not full-dark so I can tell that the fish were caught when the metadata says it was.

Dave, Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would stop that same unscrupulous person from catching the fish at sundown on Wednesday and entering it as a Thursday morning catch?
I think unfortunately cheaters will cheat.

tysdad115 06-04-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregW (Post 1001613)
Dave, Just playing devil's advocate here, but what would stop that same unscrupulous person from catching the fish at sundown on Wednesday and entering it as a Thursday morning catch?
I think unfortunately cheaters will cheat.

Thats easy to tell , from Monday -Wednesday I only catch 48"+ fish....starting Thursday morning I only catch 32-33" f^ck!ng fish!!! :rotf2:

Canalman 06-04-2013 02:43 PM

I'm watching you Greg :eyes:

I know there's always a loophole.. but I'm sticking by my guns on this... Out of 70 participants less than 10 want this changed. For now, things are staying as-is.

:)

GregW 06-04-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canalman (Post 1001618)

I know there's always a loophole.. but I'm sticking by my guns on this... Out of 70 participants less than 10 want this changed. For now, things are staying as-is.

:)

Understandable, I think we all wish the days and times were the ones that fit our schedule best. Just throwing ideas out there.

Higgie 06-04-2013 04:55 PM

Dave what's the most convenient way for us to submit our fish?? Through email or the submission page of the tournament website?? Thanks again for running this your doing a great job.

Rich
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

djlesco 06-05-2013 07:14 AM

Dave obviously not everyone can be pleased... example i have a teammate who runs a resturant but we understand this isn't your only task. With that being said I would encourage you to keep this tournament going as I think it's great for the competitive natured fisherman as well as a cornerstone to future tournaments thay shouldn't be killing fish for prize... heck u don't see a shoot and release hunting tournament ..
I feel that (if not already in place) you compile a team/ committee to help relieve the hardwork that goes into this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Canalman 06-05-2013 08:24 AM

Higgie,

The best way to enter a fish is through the website.

djlesco - This tourney is here to stay, this is something I really believe in and it's something I've been wanting to do for years, but I've held back until I was sure I had a solid format. Ask JohnR, we've talked about for like 4 years and I've had like 4 or 5 different major revisions to the format. I wanted to make it so no one else could do it better. And next year, this thing is going to blow your mind... you'll see.

Canalman 06-05-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLH (Post 1001583)
As it stands now there are almost 4 full days of fishing and only 3 nights. It seems that teams with easy access to certain areas that feature a good daytime or first light bite benefit from the rules as they stand. Adding another night or moving the start time on Thursday to sunset would help even things out.


I didn't see this yesterday...

Best case I've heard. The only thing is... the place with the topwater morning bite you're referring to has off tides on Thursdays this year :hee:

In case you can't tell, I'm still not solid in my decision to keep it as-is... :buds:

Thinking...

smk379 06-05-2013 09:10 AM

Weds sunset - Sunday 8am :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

djlesco 06-05-2013 11:06 AM

Glad to be a part of it now and the future. Anything I can do let me know.
Dj
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

scottw 06-05-2013 03:16 PM

something that made it much faster for me to post results on the website was to use pics with lower resolution...not having all of the tech skills in this area, the fastest way for me accomplish this was to stick the card into the computer and open Microsoft Powerpoint....insert the image in power Point and then save as a JPEG...this somehow reduces the size of the file considerably.....instead of waiting forever for the images to load up when sending them over to the GO Tight site it is now extremely quick....don't know if that will help anyone but maybe...good luck to everyone this weekend!:)

tlapinski 06-10-2013 08:33 AM

If I was to favor any sort of adjustment on the hours of the tourney I would only suggest dialing the Sunday cut-off back to sunrise range for reasons similar to what JLH said above and make it 3 days and 3 nights. There is no need to have extra daytime hours in a surf fishing contest!

Ian 06-10-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlapinski (Post 1002205)
If I was to favor any sort of adjustment on the hours of the tourney I would only suggest dialing the Sunday cut-off back to sunrise range for reasons similar to what JLH said above and make it 3 days and 3 nights. There is no need to have extra daytime hours in a surf fishing contest!

I would vote for this idea.

Redsoxticket 06-10-2013 10:20 AM

Each team selects their own three consecutive day weekend for the entirety of the tourney.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com