Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   Plug Building - Got Wood? (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cyclone Dust Seperator (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=84350)

N.ShoreFisher 12-01-2013 11:25 AM

Cyclone Dust Seperator

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up an Oneida Dust Deputy cone at woodcraft the other day. I only bought the cone, not the full kit. So here's how I did it. I bought some gasket material from HD and a bucket too. Cut the 3" hole in the top of the lid. After cutting out the gasket material, I snugged it all up with 1/4"x1" bolts and silicone sealer. Works the balls!!

N.ShoreFisher 12-01-2013 11:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I also had some scrap plywood laying around that I used to reinforce the bottom. I have since put some washers between the plywood and nuts.

N.ShoreFisher 12-01-2013 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
finished product. I will probably get a 2nd bucket and attach some wheel to it so I can empty it easy enough as well an have it move around the shop without it tipping over.

N.ShoreFisher 12-01-2013 11:30 AM

I also did end up using a little tape around the intakes to snug up and loose connections.

Hot Rod 12-15-2013 09:45 PM

I understand the bucket but what is feeding it ? Direct from the tool or from an exhaust fan ? thanks

nightfighter 12-15-2013 10:12 PM

Cyclone is between tool and vacuum. It separates out a very high percentage o chips and dust, thus saving the vacuum filter from needing much cleaning.

N.ShoreFisher 12-16-2013 12:28 AM

so far it's been great. It has done a great job removing almost all the fine and medium dust and just lets bigger pieces through. Very happy with it. I also just put it on wheels, so that makes it move much easier

Swimmer 12-16-2013 10:01 AM

So, could some pics be posted that take into account the vacuum being used and exactly how it is attached via the hoses to the dust collector. And the tube coming out of the dust/particle collector, is that some a sock could be secued too?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

nightfighter 12-16-2013 10:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXZKYWpMbE

N.ShoreFisher 12-16-2013 11:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the hose coming off the side of the cyclone cone goes to the vac, the hose coming off the top is the end that sucks, to clean whatever you need

N.ShoreFisher 12-16-2013 11:30 AM

the wheels on the bottom help a lot with stability

Saltheart 12-16-2013 01:02 PM

I got a cheap flat bed cart that allowed both the bucket with the Cyclone and the vac to be bungee corded down on it. the whole thing (cyclone bucket and vac) all wheel around together. It works great as you say. If I did it again I'd get a bigger bucket to mount the cyclone on since about 98 percent gets separated out , the 5 gallon bucket fills up quick.

Swimmer 12-16-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N.ShoreFisher (Post 1024988)
the hose coming off the side of the cyclone cone goes to the vac, the hose coming off the top is the end that sucks, to clean whatever you need

Thanks for the extra pics, and Ross as always an ever accomodating gentleman. I am going to make one immediately.

nightfighter 12-23-2013 07:40 AM

Google super-charge your shop vacuum

The pdf from Woodsmith has a set of plans for a cart to carry the cyclone and shop vacuum that really works well.

JMAC_kerel 12-26-2013 11:32 AM

Slick set-up. I have been thinking of doing something similar in my small work area. Thanks for posting it.

Swimmer 12-27-2013 06:33 PM

I downloaded the plans, its a pretty cool setup. Will give serious thought to making it.

striperman36 12-28-2013 11:19 AM

I want to put one in front of my big Jet and move the Jet outside in a shed, along with my air tank. Cut down the noise significantly doing that.

nightfighter 07-08-2014 06:43 AM

I finally put my unit together and tried it out yesterday. Works exactly as advertised, if not better. If you hate cleaning the filter on your shop vacs as much as I do, this is a must have item. I definitely need to figure out which cart I want to build for it as it is tipsy if not attached, even after adding the wheels to the bottom bucket. Suction was constant and seemed to be stronger, though I was starting with a clean filter that now stays clean... Highly recommend!

nightfighter 01-11-2015 11:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cwVbNb8gs

This cart is great. Here is someone that actually recorded their build.

nightfighter 01-12-2015 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine is 90% done. Just the hose holder left, but more interested in adding the I socket as shown in the video above.

smac 02-06-2015 08:03 PM

You could use that for sanding drywall too. Put few inches of water in the bucket. There are hand sanders and pole sanders with attachments to suck up drywall dust and deposit it in the water before clogging vacc filter.