Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/index.php)
-   StriperTalk! (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Non fishing related - Looking for oak exterior thresholds (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=94254)

Steve K 09-28-2018 11:30 AM

Non fishing related - Looking for oak exterior thresholds

Hello,

I did not know where to post this but I figured that John would move it if necessary. I need to replace two exterior oak thresholds. I have not been able to find them at the usual places and was looking for a custom millwork shop. Any recommendations? I live in Newton.

Thanks,
Steve

JohnR 09-28-2018 02:42 PM

For your front and rear doors?

Guppy 09-28-2018 03:29 PM

Van Millwork May be able to get them for you,,, back in the day that was a stock item at most yards,,,, linseed oil them before setting...

Steve K 09-28-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnR (Post 1152174)
For your front and rear doors?

Two rear doors
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Steve K 09-28-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guppy (Post 1152178)
Van Millwork May be able to get them for you,,, back in the day that was a stock item at most yards,,,, linseed oil them before setting...

I will check with them. Thx

Pete F. 09-28-2018 08:29 PM

I remember making them 10/4 or 8/4 oak cut to rough length, joint and plane to thickness, Rip to width, run the other edge over jointer, take the guard off jointer and set fence to how big you wanted rabbet on exterior, there was a rabbeting shelf on jointer and you kept running the stuff across and it would make the taper. Little hand plane work on edges, Rip drip groove on bottom and you’re done
I haven’t seen a new threshold like that in many years

Rmarsh 09-29-2018 07:02 AM

Horner Millwork....website shows a lot of different sizes.

nightfighter 09-29-2018 08:57 AM

Did you try Sterrit? They should have them in stock or could order if you need more than a 4'

They are not like they used to be.... Seems like I am seeing four pieces laminated together more often now whereas they used to be just one or two pieces. New ones require more support under front lip..... seen a number of them split.

ed morini 09-29-2018 04:08 PM

threshold

I gave up using commercially made thresholds as they never held up usually red oak, laminated and even with linseed oil were useless.
I would recommend a run to Downes and Reader, buy 8/4 dressed White oak to 1 3/4", I think they may have it in the retail rack, and make your own.

I have no affiliation with D&R just been a customer since day one.

If by "People's Republic" you live in Cambridge go to Anderson Mcquaid on Fawcett St.,they literally have everything.... may even have old school white oak thresholds

Ed

Steve K 10-01-2018 06:23 AM

[/QUOTE]New ones require more support under front lip..... seen a number of them split.[/QUOTE]

That is what happened to mine. Moved in last year and they were split. Thanks

Steve K 10-01-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed morini (Post 1152244)
I gave up using commercially made thresholds as they never held up usually red oak, laminated and even with linseed oil were useless.
I would recommend a run to Downes and Reader, buy 8/4 dressed White oak to 1 3/4", I think they may have it in the retail rack, and make your own.

I have no affiliation with D&R just been a customer since day one.

If by "People's Republic" you live in Cambridge go to Anderson Mcquaid on Fawcett St.,they literally have everything.... may even have old school white oak thresholds

Ed

I moved out of Cambridge last year. I need to update my location. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve K 10-01-2018 06:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I will call these places.

nightfighter 10-01-2018 07:13 AM

New ones require more support under front lip..... seen a number of them split.[/QUOTE]

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

If it is in good shape, I have glued them back together using a domino, which is a larger oval shaped biscuit. It works and the glue joint is strongest point. Just need to add support.

Steve K 10-01-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfighter (Post 1152331)
New ones require more support under front lip..... seen a number of them split.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/QUOTE]

If it is in good shape, I have glued them back together using a domino, which is a larger oval shaped biscuit. It works and the glue joint is strongest point. Just need to add support.[/QUOTE]

One is toast. The other might be fine. Thanks for the suggestion.