View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Your chronology is about 30 years off.

It was Arnold Palmer who took golf from a fringe sport, into the mainstream. And made million dollar purses possible. Frank Beard, an old-time pro, was once quoted as saying "Every time I cash a check, I want to thank Arnie for 50 cents on the dollar".

The smart thing for Tiger to have done here, if there was any doubt about his lie, was to call a marshal over for a ruling, before he moved the obstruction. That's why they're out there on the course in the first place. The marshal tells you you can clear it, and the ball moves when you do it, he or she will tell you to return it to the original lie.
Just what Mike says, call a marshall. They are paid by the tour to be there, let them make the call. Then its all on them. If he, Tiger, did that thiier would be no controversy.

As far as Tiger holding up the tour all by himself, ask Arnie, ask Jack, who my father at one time was on a first name basis. Ask the people who emulate an amatuer called Ouimet, or Bobby Jones, who quit playing one day as an amatuer to take on something more important. There are twenty different players on the tour that are beating Tiger every week out there, every week. No doubt he has made his mark, but at his current rate of winning he may not overtake Nicklaus major win record.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote