Thread: first pistol?
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
redlite

Next to fishing guns, mainly pistols, r my second passion
Every gun has its purpose wether it be range, target, carry, or paper weight. Then u have revolver vs semi auto and then caliber and then brand and then budget as guns r not cheap
As others have stated ammo is expensive and hard to get. Reloading is another science that is expensive to get started with ( press, dyes, tumbler,etc) but for an experienced shooter that is shooting a lot ( when i was competeing idpa i was pushin over 1000 rds of 45 a week so was worth it)
I own different brands glock, sig, colt, ruger, berretta and mostly smiths. I used to compete .45. Carry .40sw mostly shoot .22. And the 9mms dont get much use
For first gun i would pass on my dads advice and go with a 4 inch barreled .357 mag revolver. Reason being with a revolver u r not blasting through ammo amd spending a ton of time reloading mags. If reloading dont have to scrounge of brass. Advantage of .357 mag is u can shoot much milder .38 special rds out of it yet have capabilty to fire out hotter .357 rounds if so desired. Any revolver make sure it has adjustable sites. I prefer smith revolvers
As far as semis go u need to decide if it is strictly range gun, carry gun, or one that sort of fits both roles. Carrying a gun is the most awesome responsibilty there is.
For range with out getting into competion target guns sig makes excellent accurate comfortable to shoot guns as they r heavy so easier to control recoil 229 in any caliber is excellent choice. As stated the 220 in .45 is nice. I still prefer 1911 style .45s though. The sig 1911 style 45s that just got approved in mass are dissappointing junk in my opinion
I really do not like my polymer rugers very much
If they were to come and take all my guns and leave me with only 1 it would be my glock 23 which is.40 sw. Small enough to carry yet big enough that u can go put 200 rds thru it at the range and not have your hand feel like someone smashed it with a sledgehammer if u prefer the milder 9mm the glock 19 is the same as the 23 but in 9mm.
If just want a fun inexpesive shooter get either a .22 lr revolver or semi. Smith model 41 is the nuts. Either that the ruger bull marks r pretty decent.
My recommendations r decide what u r gonna primarily use it for,then decide on budget. Used guns and especially goin to gun shows r the way to go. I think i have only bought 3 brand NIB guns in my life. Big savings
Whatever u r leaning towards take advantage of the offers from those of us on here that r willing to let u test drive them before u buy
I either own or have access to pretty much any hand gun that u can try
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote