View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rod View Post
All my cutting is done on hard acrylic cutting boards...no matter what quality of knife U use they need to be sharpened not 2-3 times a year...what I mean by sharpening is using a sharpener to keep that 20 degree edge then the steel which is basically to smooth the edge....when I go to a families house for holidays I bring my knives to cut the turkey or ham...I have skinned over a hundred deer and U need a sharp blade
I'd place acrylic boards in the same category as glass, not as bad but not as easy on an edge as wood or poly. How you use the board obviously makes a big difference.

I don't think good knives usually need to be sharpened more than once a year in a home setting. The problem is that most people don't steel them so they get really dull and have to have the edge re-established. People also cut on hard surfaces, my wife is always cutting on a porcelain plate and can't understand why her knife is always so dull

For turkey or ham I bring out my 12" Wustof hollow ground slicing knife

Back in Iowa we were always stuffed with venison. Here I don't know enough people who hunt!

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote