View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I think the Tea Party will come through this with severe but not life threatening injuries. Given the timing of the next election cycle the rift that opened in the GOP has been pulled wide for the likes of new moderate faces to start controlling the debate in the run up to 2016.

-spence
I don't know. Seems to me that every day, more people (not less) are aware of the fact that when you consider entitlement liabilities, we are almost $100 trillion in debt. More people, not less, are concerned with that, and all your side is doing on that issue is (1) increasing the debt at a record pace, and (2) demonizing anyone who dares to suggest that we have a problem here (evidenced by the honest and accurate commercials of Paul Ryan pushing a wheelchair-bound lady off a cliff).

The media has done a very good job at taking the Tea Party (those who feel that debt of $200,000 per American represents a 'problem') and portraying them as radicals and racists. That has kept the tea party somewhat marginalized. This shutdown will temporarily re-enforce that.

The time will come when even you, Spence, are going to have to admit that Paul Ryan had a point, and that we would have been better off had we listened to him.

Spence, when your kids graduate from college and are facing a Depression and federal income tax rates of 45%, and they ask you why our generation already spent every cent they will ever earn and then some, what are you going to say? That it was fair that we are dumping $100 trillion of debt in their laps? That we had no choice? That it's Sarah Palin's fault?