View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #46
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Just because you're in bad financial shape doesn't mean you don't have a government to operate. The deal looked to be a decrease in pay for healthcare offset somewhat by an incremental pay increase over the next 3 yearsFor many or most it's likely a net pay cut.

40% of the union members earn less than 30,000/yr.

This union represents those that work in the jail, nursing home, county health system, sheriff office etc…not exactly a lot of high paying jobs…and yet they show up day to day and get it done.

For this, you're outraged because you read a misleading FOX News story.

-spence
"Just because you're in bad financial shape doesn't mean you don't have a government to operate"

I didn't say the govt should shut down when it's in terrible financial shape. But when you're in terrible financial shape, you take steps to get your financial house in order.

"For many or most it's likely a net pay cut."

Speculation on your part. Even if that's true, and it's a big 'if', that's what happens when those who pay your salary are broke. A pay cut is better than a pink slip.

"40% of the union members earn less than 30,000/yr."

The state is bankrupt Spence. If the taxpayers can't afford to pay 40% of the union $30k a year (plus insanely cheap healthcare, which you conveniently left out), then they have to find ways to spend less. Simple as that.

"yet they show up day to day and get it done"

They also ensured that pro-union politicians would get elected, and thus perpetuate the downward spiral.

As I said, honest people have been warning about this for as long as I have been alive. Unions didn't want to hear it. If they had listened back then, the required fix would not be as severe.

You can't have more than there is. And you reap what you sow.