View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
redlite

Congrats. Your son is wicked smart. My older sister is a dartmouth grad. She is a genius. My wife and i r dartmouth (....umass). Grads. My old man is a Northeastern alum. Mom is an rn My advice when it comes to selecting where to go to school is more than just the in class education aspect. There is very very little i ever learned in 5 yrs at umd that i have ever used in real life. Everything that mattered about goin to college was learned outside of the classroom. How to survive on your own without parental supervison. How to manage your time How to interact with other people. How to make friends and not get your azz kicked. How to deal with authority to get out of sticky situations
My older sister was valadictorian and got accepted to dartmouth college on a chemistry scholarship her junior year in high school. Half way thru she decided she didnt like it and wanted to teach kimdergarten. Couldnt change her major or would loose scholarship. Ended up with degree in chem and double minor in child ed and child psych. Graduated with honors and was also a sport athlete. All in 4 yrs. never could get a teachin job. Too smart. Makes #^&#^&#^&#^& money in south bend in doin taxes. A watse of talent
I played 4 yrs of lacrosse, started a fraternity, drank and partied my azz off, went thru 4 majors and somehow got a useless degree in sociology. Made a #^&#^&#^&#^& ton of money in variuos sales fields till i "retired" to be a stay at home dad. All from skills i learned outside college classroom
The thing about college is that it is what u nake of it. Dont know what your kid wants to do for the long haul in life but makin money to afford a good life style is what it is all about.
2 of my best friends did textile engineering. We used to make fun of them. They both make 6 figures makin sneakers for nike and reebok. A couple of others were in computer information sytems and make bucket loads of cash. I was originally civil engineering. My friends that survived that most quit that field and r teachers now one of my fraternity brothers was an art major and now makes a pile of money doin chainsaw carvin. Even had a tv show on ngc
My little sister is a nichols grad with a business degree. She works in a tee shirt printing shop now. Waste of my parents money.
A lot of rambling. But my advice to u is have a heart to heart talk with him about what he wants in a school. A fast paced demanding curriculm? Social aspect (parties, activities,). Sports, close to home to be able to commute? What may want to study and fall back options if change mind Cost. Living conditions/ options on and off campus. Amount of school spirit. Do people attend school sponsered sports/ activities. Go on tours. Eat in the res caf to see if the food is eatable. ( i lived off lucky charms cause our res caf sucked). Dont be shy and stop students and ask them what they think of where they r, if they have regrets about their choice.
Watch the movie P.C.U and see what he thinks he wants to do based on that
He can always transfer
Good luck and have fun goin thru it with him
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Last edited by redlite; 12-09-2013 at 12:27 AM..
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote