View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #24
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Roach View Post
...I like what Frech's friend did: Heat the hell out of a carriage bolt head and burn the cup into the face.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I'm quoting myself here, but...I picked up a 1/2" carriage bolt today to get an idea what kind of arc a 1/2" carriage bolt with a 1" head has on it. After taking some measurements, the arc on the head is approximate to a 1.8" sphere.

I looked at the inflatable bulb numbskull referenced above at Woodcraft; it's 1¾" in diameter. The employees let me assemble it with a sanding sleeve and it just didn't look like a symmetrical sphere if you sanded the piece at an angle, which you'd have to do because there's no sanding material dead-center. The sphere, pump and sleeves were about $75 as well -- too expensive an experiment.

I came across a website where a guy shows how to make sanding spheres out of foam, with sanding pads attached via Velcro. For bowls and such, I can see where the flexibility of foam is needed, but for a popper face sanded into birch I would think you'd need solid backing. I'm thinking of trying to create one from birch using the Velcro idea to attach a spiral-cut sanding pad.
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote