View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Eric Roach
Big E

I sincerely appreciate your concern, George -- both for my safety and anyone else's reading this.

I can't argue that xylene doesn't add another level of potential danger to the plug builder, or for that matter lacquer-based detail painting (mentioned in another thread).

I had a discussion about this very thing with a plug builder after Plug Fest. He asked why I used xylene-thinned epoxy and my response was I felt it sealed best; I based that on limited subjective testing when I first started building. The problem is I couldn't objectively prove it was true -- hence the test and a re-look at my assumptions. Health risks (and the effort to mitigate them) are part of this new assessment and will factor into what changes I may make.

I'll reiterate again for anyone reading this: use of Xylene (or any VOC solvent for that matter) in the house requires the use of powerful, exterior-directed ventilation; an organic respirator and nitrile gloves to protect from skin absorption. I seal plugs with all of these precautions in place. I should wear eye protection when handling any sealer, but I don't.

Last edited by Eric Roach; 04-19-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote