View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
ed morini

60/40

Hi Eric,

Just my two cents here. The formulation of a spar/ helmsman varnish differs greatly from that of regular varnish. The marine types are very flexible due to their use in exterior situations and from what I've learned never really dry or become a rigid covering. I think a regular urethane or varnish thinned makes a safer sealer as far as layer additional coatings. Oil based type finishes and sealers dry by a reaction with the air surrounding them and humidity plays a large factor in the completion of that reaction. The more humidity the longer drying time. The finish first skims over then slowly dries underneath, "gassing #^&#^&#^&#^&. I do not believe the addition of a thinner to a finish alters it properties greatly, but in some cases increases the drying times. The thinner is the vehicle that will carry the finish to a depth dependent what type of wood, moisture content and species. I would also recommend hanging there near a heat source to aid in drying which would aid in the drying, but would add that the blanks be placed there prior to sealing to stabilize the moisture content and avoid the trapped moisture from lifting paint.

sorry for the length

Ed
ed morini is offline   Reply With Quote