View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Obama ran on the premise that he promised to get our troops out of the mess that bush got us into. Seems like he should be able to take credit for that, no? Isis will be waswas in a couple of years.... Watch
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
First, even though I have rebutted attacks on Bush and his policies previously, I did so not to support Bush, but to demonstrate that the attacks on him were not as absolutely true and accurate as they were so confidently stated. I was, personally, never so confident neither about the invasion of Afghanistan nor of Iraq. I understood the stated and unstated rationale for both, and whatever "defending" I did for them was purely on those rationales versus the largely political and slanted attacks on Bush. My personal preference, from the start, was to forthrightly demand that the Taliban government give us Bin Laden, or we would reduce them to rubble.

That said, even realizing, given the world we live in, that could not happen, let me amend what you said. I don't recall exactly how Obama's promise was phrased regarding the troops, but what he got them out of (almost), was Iraq, not the mess Bush got us into. The "mess" was the war. Wars are always messy. The aftermath of the war was a reversion to some order, one in which there was "hope" (one of Obama's favorite words) for the citizens to lead a freer life. But that was contingent on our continued military presence there. What Obama did was to get the troops needed for that to happen out of Iraq. What he did was squash the possibility of the "hope."

What that also did was to squander the lives, limbs, and treasure spent on securing the hope. Even if we grant that we should not have gone there in the first place, and that is not satisfactorily granted by all, what's done is done. And it is arguably unreasonable to throw out whatever good came of it, just to belittle the premise for it--to waste the loss of life in order to fulfill a political promise.

Obama "should be able to take credit for that".

As far as ISIS becoming a "waswas" in a couple of years, that, hopefully, will be true. All things, good or bad, come to an end. In the meantime, ISIS has been a setback to the "hope" for Iraq. And that hope is even further being diminished by the rise of Iran's influence there. And we seem to be going in the direction of letting Iran have its way. And, in my opinion, Iran, and, Turkey and, Saudi Arabia, and the Palestinians, and other Middle East countries aren't going to immediately destroy ISIS, but let it continue a little while to eradicate Christian influence there. THEN, that being done, the Middle Eastern powers will make ISIS a "waswas."