View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #51
Newboater

No One Is Barf- Proof

I crossed the Atlantic in 1964 on a single screw transport ship. Actually we were arriving in the U.S. at the time the Thresher went down off Long Island.

Seas were 40-60 foot waves. Water breaking over the sides while turning into the seas because the ship was designated for rescue work in the case of survivors.

I, as a lowly SP4 ( E4 ) Army was pulling guard duty with a merchant mariner at the time. We had Bow Watch and waves were breaking over our heads while we were tied into place in what seemed like an upside down bath tub.

The merchant mariner gave me a package of saltine crackers and 2 organges and said 'Chew the crackers and suck on the orange and you'll be fine'

I never got sick but had to walk through vomit in the hold where the other troops were sleeping and being in the second bunk of bunks 4 high, I could lay on my side and watch the vomit go by and splatter the guy on the bottom bunk.

Toilets in the bow of the ship were great!. If you took the first set by the bow, when the bow crashed back into the ocean after a huge wave, the water pressure up the tubes would wash your butt for you quite easily.

I love the ocean, big waves impress me with their power and watching them is a thrill.

My wife hates me for going on a whale watch in 6 to 8 foot seas and eating a hot dog with mustard, relish and onions in front of her and other passengers while they turned green.

Will I ever get seasick ? Probably !!! But I hope not. Will you get seasick? If you want too by thinking of it too much. Just go out and have fun. What happens, will happen.

Lee

The Ole Sarge
RC&SU (Rude Crude & Socially Unacceptable)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway
Newboater is offline   Reply With Quote