Thread: New rig
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #21
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassballer View Post
6LPA- STP. any advise on maintence tricks my ears are open. Ive only owned ouboards. First Diesel.

Basically same ending.
6lp-ste is a tier 1 engine
Your have a tier 2
Just different emissions standards they had to meet.
Like I said prior. Keep clean oil & fuel in it and it will last a long time.

I recommend
- religious 100 hr oil & filter changes.
- fuel filter changes. There is a secondary filter on the front of the motor (port side) and hopefully you have a primary filter before.
- once or twice a year replace all zincs. There are 2 different size pencil zincs on brass fittings. Intercooler, oil cooler, heat exchanger and possibly trans cooler each have 1 or 2
- Raw water pump impeller should be done as needed (I replace mine every other year) raw water pump can be a bitch for access (it's port side below fuel filter. It's gear driven off injection pump. Unfortunately you can't just remove cover and pop out impeller. Pretty simple removal (2 hoses for raw water) then 2 nuts & washers and pump will slide back/out.
- The motor has a timing belt and its recommended replacement at 1000 hrs or every 5 years.
- once a year I pump out my transmission oil and replace.
My trans is a ZF takes dextron 3 atf fluid about 5

By the way, the oil & fuel filters are Toyota parts as are alternator belts and timing belts/tensionser.... all re-boxed and marked way the hell up 🤑
The alternator is a Nippondenso and can be bought at any decent place that rebuilds and sells starters & altornators. Tom an A1 electric in Quincy is one place. Same deal with the crazy yanmar mark up
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote