View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #56
Yudi

FWIW, I've tested mine out now about 5 different times on an array of different lures in weight and aerodynamic profiles over many hours now. It casts flawlessly and the rod action is fantastic for a glass rod.

I did get a 'wind knot' at one point. THat was due to using a 710 with too much braid on it and I was tossing pencils and spooks, so nothing to do with the layout. All user error with the line management. When I saw it, I could have dealt with it, but I decided to see what would happen if this happens to me at night and I don't see it. I figured its better to learn now and not while fishing. So I casted it.

Casted it and the knot stuck at the choke and bent the single foot guide. Keep in mind, that's a 6 on mine, with 6 runners behind it. It didn't pull out or crack anything and I bent it back. It wasn't a hard cast.

Just something to keep in mind, I hadn't thought about this 'failure mode' when considering the layout. I thought about whether I would pass a leader knot some, decided I wouldn't, I thought about clogging with weed and decided my rod was a light duty fair weather rod anyway and went with smaller guides, to keep it light and maximize the number of runners. But I hadn't considered an inadvertent 'wind knot'.

I figure at some point, I'll break it, and then I'll see if I can find a double foot that will work for this guide. Maybe even if the knot passed this guide the line speed would be considerably slowed down when it hit the first runner.

But overall, very happy with the way it came out. I learned a lot, had a lot of fun and realize now that epoxy work isn't easy.
Yudi is offline   Reply With Quote