View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
Cool Beans

Last year I did squid a lot from my kayak. I used an old battery in the front compartment and used some automotive LED driving lights from Walmart to light up the water. On calm nights I would venture out near the Newport bridge and anchor up and wait for the squid to show up. I always carry 2 light duty freshwater rods with me squid fishing. 1 of them will have 2 Yozuri 3 1/2" slow sinking jigs about 2 feet apart (a pink one and a blue one). the lower jig is simply tied to the end of the line. The second jig a put on a 4 inch loop to allow it to sit away from the main line a bit. This set up I use on calmer nights with good visibility and I can see the squid. I flip it out and watch the squid as it sinks, twitching it to entice them to grab onto it. This works best when you can clearly see how the squid are reacting to the jig as it slowly sinks. Too much "twitch" will keep them away. I have gotten several hundred in a few hours using this technique, but it does need to be calm. This is by far my GOTO technique if I am fishing from a pier of dock on any night.

On less calm nights I will use the 2nd rod that will have the same 2 Yozuri jigs, but both will be on a 4 inch loop, with a sinking orange Walmart jig acting as a sinker on the end of the line to get it deeper faster and then gently twitch jig it at various depths until I find how deep they are and then fish that depth. When you feel a squid on the jig quickly pull it up without giving an inch of slack otherwise you will lose it.

After getting anchored and lighting up the water, I generally turn on the radio listen to the RedSox and wait a good 30 minutes to an hour before expecting large numbers under the boat.

Personally I cant stand the floating jigs as they seem to "scare" the squid more. When you jig them they react more violently and from what I have noticed and spooks the squid more.

Since I now have a boat, I will be squiding from it this year. I will be heading out tomorrow night testing the waters.
Attached Images
File Type: png bluesquid.png (31.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pinksquid.jpg (87.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg wallyjig.jpg (24.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Cool Beans; 04-28-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote