View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Is she at UNC-Asheville? Beautiful area.

I used to go to the Raleigh/Durham area a few times a year for work. That was a hopping, booming area with the big schools.

I know a little about the Charlotte suburbs, enough to know they are cheap and booming.

Going to the Outer Banks this summer for the first time ever, cannot wait.

I love what I have seen of NC. You get the low taxes and milder weather, without the culture shock of the deep south. There are places in NC where you might never hear a southern accent, because everybody is a tax refugee from New England.
She's in her 3rd year at Wake Forest, we went out there for Parents weekend and tacked on a few extra days to visit friends out in Asheville that just moved down there outta MA. Also hooked up with another friend down in Charlotte....who also moved outta MA a few years ago.

Asheville had that whole Portland ME vibe to it. they have a great Music scene, great restaurants, and of course great beer.

Really liked Charlotte as well, pretty clean city that offers sports and great BBQ. :-) Wouldn't want to live there because I'm not a fan of city living, but is a nice option to have relatively close by.

I'm sure, just like any state, they have their $hithole areas (yeah, I used THAT word ) but for the whole of what we saw we liked it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."