View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #206
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
what hypocrisy? that people don't kill people?
A bullet striking someone at a high rate of speed hitting a vital organ can kill someone just as dead as a nuke can, of course. So your point is to take the guns out of the hands of those who cannot be trusted? Like trying to keep a maniac dictator from getting one? Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control? there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first, if that doesn't work then work harder and smarter but don't put blame on others rights. So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands. This could go on forever with your hypocrisy. Live in fear about every little thing that could end your life possibly. Stay inside if a revolution starts.
"Last I checked most lawful gun owners are not threatening mankind, so why gun control?"

Because too many guns (legally or otherwise) get in the hands of maniacs. You really don't understand that point of view at all? Yes, cars kill more people, heart attacks kill more people, but we cannot eliminate cars or legislate heart health.

I'd say as a start, no more bump stocks or high capacity magazines. The right wouldn't go for it, the left would say it's not enough. So we do nothing.

"there are laws that don't get enforced, do that first"

I keep hearing that, but it doesn't seem to be happening does it...What law on the books, would have prevented Sandy Hook from happening with proper enforcement?

"So get rid of all weapons on earth and man will still kill even with bare hands"

This is the argument that drives me crazy, this is the kind of extremist thinking that almost always happens on the left, but on this one issue, occurs on the right. Conservatives claim that if we get rid of AR-15s and high capacity magazines, then as sure as the day follows the night, eventually we will "get rid of all weapons on Earth".

The second amendment isn't absolute, it was never intended to be without limits.

"Stay inside if a revolution starts"

Another argument I hear is that we need guns to hold off a tyrannical government. Maybe in the 1930s that was true. But today, in this country? If the feds want to kill me and take my 401(k), they can launch a laser-guided missile through my bedroom window from a thousand miles away, and I'm not sure I can prevent that with an AR-15.